Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 11

post #151 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

How many amp into 8ohms is your receiver?  

 

Don't you mean watts my good sir?

post #152 of 2904

100 watts RMS for my current SX-1010

 

At the time of when I was asking cable makers about the speaker taps vs standard TRS jack I had the SX-737.  Even at 35 watts per channel that receiver could man handle my T50RP and HE-500.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

How many amp into 8ohms is your receiver?  


Edited by WNBC - 6/13/13 at 2:47pm
post #153 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

Don't you mean watts my good sir?

 

 

O - my bad

post #154 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

100 watts RMS for my current SX-1010

 

At the time of when I was asking cable makers about the speaker taps vs standard TRS jack I had the SX-737.  Even at 35 watts per channel that receiver could man handle my T50RP and HE-500.  

 

 

 

 

So you think that receiver is spitting out 100 watts out it's headphone out?

post #155 of 2904

Nope.  Impedance of my past orthos headphones was 6 times higher so they don't see the same power output as an 8-ohm speaker. 

 

Somebody with more technical expertise can do the conversion of say 100 watts into 8 ohms would translate to how many watts into say 50 ohms.  It's not a straight proportion answer. 

 

The power going to the headphone stage would equal the power to the speaker taps in vintage receivers with no resistors in the headphone path.  That is not in question.  I asked people with way more knowledge about this and it is the same power whether the headphone is at either output.  The question is whether there is a sound quality benefit to going to either the speaker outs vs headphone outs in a vintage receiver.  Having never purchased the speaker taps I am curious to the answer. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

So you think that receiver is spitting out 100 watts out it's headphone out?

post #156 of 2904
Roughly 18 watts@50ohm off the top of my head. Most orthos can handle it if well built.
post #157 of 2904

P = V^2 / R or V = SQRT(P*R)

 

Spelled out...

Power = Voltage * Voltage divided by Resistance.

 and

Voltage = the square-root of (Power times Resistance).

 

With the assumption we're talking about a typical solid state amp, which will output the same voltage to the load regardless of whether it's 8 ohms or 50 ohms (in reality, it may even be a little higher voltage out into 50 ohms, but I'll assume not), this calculation becomes a function of voltage.

 

So recall the above to calculate V = SQRT(P*R).  Since as stated before if say a 1V input is provided a solid-state amp should output the same voltage to a 8 ohm load as it will to a 50 ohm load, we can equate the two as a function of voltage.

 

So ... solving for X, SQRT(100 * 8) = SQRT(X * 50)

 

We are allowed to square both sides so it then easily calculates out to ... Power into 50 ohms == 16 watts (or in terms of voltage, a bit over 28 volts rms)

 

That'll cook your T50rp / MadDogs.real good!


Edited by m8o - 6/13/13 at 6:01pm
post #158 of 2904

Thanks.  Definitely would zap those orthos, probably my ears would go first.  I rarely go above 10 o'clock on the dial. 

 

However, when careful, it is quite amazing how the vintage receivers drive them.   

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

Roughly 18 watts@50ohm off the top of my head. Most orthos can handle it if well built.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post

That'll cook your T50rp / MadDogs.real good!
post #159 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

So you think that receiver is spitting out 100 watts out it's headphone out?

they have a 150 ohm resistor and the sx980 put out 15W into 50 ohms when I had jot. The sx 980 was 85 watts per channel

post #160 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

However, when careful, it is quite amazing how the vintage receivers drive them.  

 

Indeed.  I was surprised how well an old Advent receiver I have drives them; especially that while the preamp of it got rave reviews, the power amps stage, not so much.  And that has a resistor L-pad between the amp taps and headphone out.

 

I have over a dozen other amps I can try, many vintage valve amps going back to the 40s; some pretty modern.  Some are way too powerful to try, but some other ones like these old 6V6 push-pull amps is something I want to blow the dust off to try...

http://public.fotki.com/m8o/audiovideo/my-toobz/bell-and-howell-pro/

However transformer coupled valve amps have a very different power transfer vs. the load's impedance.  There's a good chance they too will provide way too much power into the MadDogs.


Edited by m8o - 6/13/13 at 7:18pm
post #161 of 2904

I just received my Mad Dogs updated to 3.2, and with the shipping BALANCED wiring.  I had previously been beta testing a balanced set with a different (not nearly as nice) connector and cable.

 

The new set up is really nice - a mic cord type cable (Dan tells me twisted wires internally).  I don't know what brand it is - as thick as the thicker of the two mogami mic cables many use to recable with, but flexes and lays more like the thinner stuff.  Very, very nice look and feel.  Hirose connector like the ibasso balanced amps at the headphone, and a nice black Neutrik 4 pin XLR at the amp end.  Look and feel is outstanding to me.

 

As to sound, I've spent all of 1 minute with them, so I'll refrain from comment.  Previously, I felt that I heard a bit better control and impact with the balanced set up as opposed to SE.  Could just be placebo.  I am just starting into the balanced world.

 

If you are interested in going balanced, this is the best deal going for a balanced headphone, in my opinion.  Great look, feel, quality of workmanship.

 

I'll eventually get some uninterrupted time with them and report back on sonic impressions, as well as I am able.


Edited by aamefford - 6/13/13 at 8:58pm
post #162 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

As to sound, I've spent all of 1 minute with them, so I'll refrain from comment.  Previously, I felt that I heard a bit better control and impact with the balanced set up as opposed to SE.  Could just be placebo.  I am just starting into the balanced world.

You upgraded to a 3.2, so changes you hear will not only be from the balanced wiring, but the internal upgrades as well. 

post #163 of 2904
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

I just received my Mad Dogs updated to 3.2, and with the shipping BALANCED wiring.  I had previously been beta testing a balanced set with a different (not nearly as nice) connector and cable.

 

The new set up is really nice - a mic cord type cable (Dan tells me twisted wires internally).  I don't know what brand it is - as thick as the thicker of the two mogami mic cables many use to recable with, but flexes and lays more like the thinner stuff.  Very, very nice look and feel.  Hirose connector like the ibasso balanced amps at the headphone, and a nice black Neutrik 4 pin XLR at the amp end.  Look and feel is outstanding to me.

 

As to sound, I've spent all of 1 minute with them, so I'll refrain from comment.  Previously, I felt that I heard a bit better control and impact with the balanced set up as opposed to SE.  Could just be placebo.  I am just starting into the balanced world.

 

If you are interested in going balanced, this is the best deal going for a balanced headphone, in my opinion.  Great look, feel, quality of workmanship.

 

I'll eventually get some uninterrupted time with them and report back on sonic impressions, as well as I am able.

 

 

Very nice!! Post a few pics when you can and of course your impressions once you have time to listen. 

 

I now have two very nice SE amps that I'm fond of. So going balanced would be rough. Selling it all and started over to buy something more expensive. Hmmm...I've never done that before. wink.gif

post #164 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

 

Very nice!! Post a few pics when you can and of course your impressions once you have time to listen. 

 

I now have two very nice SE amps that I'm fond of. So going balanced would be rough. Selling it all and started over to buy something more expensive. Hmmm...I've never done that before. wink.gif

 

 

Man - get with the program.wink_face.gif

post #165 of 2904
Thread Starter 

You have only to take a look at my trader feedback to know I'm very much with the program. biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**