Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 99

post #1471 of 2904

Hi martybm5!  It would be a portable disguised as a desktop.  lol  Trying to keep the price reasonable.  I've narrowed it down to:  Apex Glacier, The National, The Stepdance and the Pico Power.  As a matter of fact my goal is a USB DAC/Amp.  I really like what I've read about the Glacier!

post #1472 of 2904

I forgot about iBasso!  I owned the D7 for a while....nice unit.  I'm not sure it could drive the MDs.  Thanks for bringing up their products!

post #1473 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps Fan View Post

Hi martybm5!  It would be a portable disguised as a desktop.  lol  Trying to keep the price reasonable.  I've narrowed it down to:  Apex Glacier, The National, The Stepdance and the Pico Power.  As a matter of fact my goal is a USB DAC/Amp.  I really like what I've read about the Glacier!

I have the ALO RxMKII but I did have The National and I wasnt at all happy with its pairing with the Mad Dogs. The national sounded awesome with my M100's but didnt have enough power for the MD's. I was interested in the Pico Power also but I dont like the concept of having to change batteries. 

 

If your budget allows. a number of folks are happy with the Ibasso solution (and I believe Dan has recommended it in the past). The E12 has really punchy bass (which I happen to like) but some folks prefer a more neutral signature.

post #1474 of 2904

The PB2 can definately drive the Mad Dogs plus its got a balanced input/output. It also allows you to op-amp roll. What's your budget?

I'm guessing the mad dogs like power since they're an ortho so my desktop setup is a HE500 driven by a a speaker amp via speaker taps and they've never sounded better. I believe the mad dogs would respond similarly but I cannot try them since I don't have a balanced version of the mad dogs

post #1475 of 2904

Thanks for the input guys!  I really appreciate it.  Sometimes I get going using the search feature here and visiting web sites and wind up more confused than when I started.  My goal is to keep my investment outside of the MDs to under $600.  So, it would be for example:  The PB2 with a USB dac.  Not bad, I could go with the ODAC or HRT music streamer, using the line out.  Great ideas spur and marty.  I feel like I'm getting somewhere!

post #1476 of 2904

I use an HRT MusicStreamer and can recommend anything in their lineup.  If they did not exist, I probably would have Schiit gear instead, which is sold directly from them from schitt.com at major savings.  Many in the Forums use the $99 Schiit Modi Asynchronous USB DAC, which is probably the best $$ value DAC, especially if you are not wanting to get into $300 range.

post #1477 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post

I use an HRT MusicStreamer and can recommend anything in their lineup.  If they did not exist, I probably would have Schiit gear instead, which is sold directly from them from schitt.com at major savings.  Many in the Forums use the $99 Schiit Modi Asynchronous USB DAC, which is probably the best $$ value DAC, especially if you are not wanting to get into $300 range.

 

+ 1

 

I have the MSII and am extremely pleased with it on my desk setup with my MDs


Edited by Change is Good - 8/26/13 at 5:07pm
post #1478 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps Fan View Post
 

Hi martybm5!  It would be a portable disguised as a desktop.  lol  Trying to keep the price reasonable.  I've narrowed it down to:  Apex Glacier, The National, The Stepdance and the Pico Power.  As a matter of fact my goal is a USB DAC/Amp.  I really like what I've read about the Glacier!


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 4:49am
post #1479 of 2904

It's been a long time since I've been back here, but I've been saving for quite a while, and it seems I finally have the money to make the jump into some higher level audio. 

The setup I've had in mind for a long time is Mad Dogs + Magni + Modi. My basic question is, for the 500 +/- that will cost me, have there been any recent or not-so-recent developments which will give me substantially better sound quality? Not asking about slight give or take here and there, or personal preferences, just if theres some headphone or amp/dac combo that will give me far more bang for my buck. As I said, I've been out for a while and haven't really kept track of the headphone world. Thanks!

post #1480 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post
 I do not recommend the national. If you have more loot than that the JA Aha-120.

 

I never heard the AHA-120 w/ the Mad Dog but what a stellar amp.

post #1481 of 2904

I'm using my 2 week old Universal Mad Dogs with my CLAS Solo db and Rx MkII b+ and wow it is amazing.  I'm not a basshead by any means but the bass boost on the RX MkIII b+ is perfect, it adds the perfect amount of bass depending on what i'm listening too.  If you have the funds, I recommend the RX MKIII b+ L3000.gif  Hope this helps!
 

post #1482 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by martybm5 View Post
 

I have the ALO RxMKII but I did have The National and I wasnt at all happy with its pairing with the Mad Dogs. The national sounded awesome with my M100's but didnt have enough power for the MD's. I was interested in the Pico Power also but I dont like the concept of having to change batteries. 

 

If your budget allows. a number of folks are happy with the Ibasso solution (and I believe Dan has recommended it in the past). The E12 has really punchy bass (which I happen to like) but some folks prefer a more neutral signature.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 4:48am
post #1483 of 2904

There is quite a bit of clamp on these. Combining that with the fact that they also have very soft pads. Every time I put these down whether just sitting on the desk or on my normal cheap woo audio headphone stand the pads tend to squish in odd ways. I am afraid if I was to let these sit for a long time the pads may become permanently creased or the pad shape may get messed up ? Anyone else notice this ? Or am I just being a worrier.

post #1484 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee View Post

There is quite a bit of clamp on these. Combining that with the fact that they also have very soft pads. Every time I put these down whether just sitting on the desk or on my normal cheap woo audio headphone stand the pads tend to squish in odd ways. I am afraid if I was to let these sit for a long time the pads may become permanently creased or the pad shape may get messed up ? Anyone else notice this ? Or am I just being a worrier.

Mostly that.  I take the bottom of the right pad, and bend it into the opening of the left pad before storing.  That seems to minimize any issues.  I keep thinking maybe a dog bone type spreader to stick above the cups and below the band, between the slider rails on each side, spanning side to side would do the trick.  I just gave away a $1,000,000. idea, didn't I?

post #1485 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee View Post

There is quite a bit of clamp on these. Combining that with the fact that they also have very soft pads. Every time I put these down whether just sitting on the desk or on my normal cheap woo audio headphone stand the pads tend to squish in odd ways. I am afraid if I was to let these sit for a long time the pads may become permanently creased or the pad shape may get messed up ? Anyone else notice this ? Or am I just being a worrier.

 

I was wondering how people stored them. Do you let pads squish on a stand? In a box/on a desk, the one pad does kind of indent the other pad, but it bounces back when you wear them. The mad dog could almost use a brace, padded on the ends, to keep the pads from squishing one another while not putting undue pressure on the headband, thus weakening the sound isolating pressure. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**