Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 94

post #1396 of 2849

I will be ordering a set... maybe today.

DYK if they will build a cable to length with 3 pin XLR?

I will need a second cable.

 

Oh, and, are the cables easy to change?

 

Thanks guys

 

EDIT...

I should have stopped by Mr. Speakers at the LA Meet.... duh

post #1397 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post


I am considering the mojo/gun stack but then at the same time I want tubes and was looking at the 6SE. I wish my wallet supported this hobby but it doesn't in the slightest

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post


I am considering the mojo/gun stack but then at the same time I want tubes and was looking at the 6SE. I wish my wallet supported this hobby but it doesn't in the slightest

I had a Lyr / Bifrost (über) for quite some time and the were great.

The I went off the deep end on the 300B.

 

I love the Gungnir.  I didn't think it would make a difference.  It does.

I'm a valve guy, as such, I don't have a mojo opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Well, your beautiful build deserves some playmates. wink_face.gif

Thanks  smile.gif

post #1398 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post


I had a Lyr / Bifrost (über) for quite some time and the were great.
The I went off the deep end on the 300B.

I love the Gungnir.  I didn't think it would make a difference.  It does.
I'm a valve guy, as such, I don't have a mojo opinion.
Thanks  smile.gif


I started reading that link to your amp you gave me but Ive never done anything DIY and don't know how to read a schematic and I'm terrified of getting shocked
post #1399 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post


I started reading that link to your amp you gave me but Ive never done anything DIY and don't know how to read a schematic and I'm terrified of getting shocked

I no how to build "stuff" but I have limited knowledge of electronics.  The BD 300B isn't exactly a "kit".  It's 6 PCB boards and a list of stuff you should buy.

I chose it for the challenge.  I have good intuition when making stuff.

 

I would say anyone with those abilities should try a kit sometime.   After spending a hour watching the Dave Jones EEVBLOG soldering tutorial you will be able to solder anything.   Teeny tiny components.

 

If you catch the bug, a Bottlehead Crack is a good place to start. .....  Change that.  There are little widget kits  (Tone generator, etc) that are $30.   Start there.   You'll be surprised what you can do.

post #1400 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

I no how to build "stuff" but I have limited knowledge of electronics.  The BD 300B isn't exactly a "kit".  It's 6 PCB boards and a list of stuff you should buy.
I chose it for the challenge.  I have good intuition when making stuff.

I would say anyone with those abilities should try a kit sometime.   After spending a hour watching the Dave Jones EEVBLOG soldering tutorial you will be able to solder anything.   Teeny tiny components.

If you catch the bug, a Bottlehead Crack is a good place to start. .....  Change that.  There are little widget kits  (Tone generator, etc) that are $30.   Start there.   You'll be surprised what you can do.

thanks man I appreciate it! out of curiosity would you be willing to build that amp for people like me that aren't comfortable doing it? just a thought
post #1401 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post


thanks man I appreciate it! out of curiosity would you be willing to build that amp for people like me that aren't comfortable doing it? just a thought

#1 There are many more accomplished builders than me.  I am a hobbyist.

The answer is perhaps.

Why?

Because I love this damn amp so much I'd like others to enjoy it.  Right now I'm on an island with no one to compare "notes".

Tom Christiansen is the designer and he is brilliant.  He's a Sr design engineer at TI and he took 3 year to design and build the DG 300B.  It was designed for speakers and mine is the only built to anyone's knowledge for HPs  Tom gave me all the necessary mods to support my LCD2's as well as my favorite valves.  E88CC's

 

I would not build one for money.  I do not like that dynamic / karma.

If someone was serious I would insist on "gulp" shipping mine out for an audition first.  That's easier said than done.

 

Ya, if the stars aligned right, sure, I think I could build a great one again.


Edited by sceleratus - 8/17/13 at 5:37pm
post #1402 of 2849
Thread Starter 
^^And this gentleman is what headfi is really all about.
post #1403 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^And this gentleman is what headfi is really all about.

ya mean the part about getting banned twice?L3000.gif

post #1404 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Nope. Who got banned twice?
post #1405 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Nope. Who got banned twice?

see no evil, hear no evil speak no evil.

 

Let just mosey along.....

post #1406 of 2849

.

post #1407 of 2849

So I usually add a qualifier to "works with iPod, iPhone, etc."  I consider it good for light listening, such as while you work or read.  It won't crank it, and it's not idea for "turn out the lights and have a critical listen" but for background to mid-level it works fine for me.   

post #1408 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

#1 There are many more accomplished builders than me.  I am a hobbyist.
The answer is perhaps.
Why?
Because I love this damn amp so much I'd like others to enjoy it.  Right now I'm on an island with no one to compare "notes".
Tom Christiansen is the designer and he is brilliant.  He's a Sr design engineer at TI and he took 3 year to design and build the DG 300B.  It was designed for speakers and mine is the only built to anyone's knowledge for HPs  Tom gave me all the necessary mods to support my LCD2's as well as my favorite valves.  E88CC's

I would not build one for money.  I do not like that dynamic / karma.
If someone was serious I would insist on "gulp" shipping mine out for an audition first.  That's easier said than done.

Ya, if the stars aligned right, sure, I think I could build a great one again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^And this gentleman is what headfi is really all about.
post #1409 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

So I usually add a qualifier to "works with iPod, iPhone, etc."  I consider it good for light listening, such as while you work or read.  It won't crank it, and it's not idea for "turn out the lights and have a critical listen" but for background to mid-level it works fine for me.   

That will do the trick.

 

I got the quote from Dan for the cables.

Hoping I can get a longer XLR.

post #1410 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^And this gentleman is what headfi is really all about.

I forgot to say thank you for your kind comment.

I do believe that that's what Head-Fi is all about.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**