or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA The Lightning F-35, fully balanced portable amp Review: 35 more F-35 amps at intro price . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RSA The Lightning F-35, fully balanced portable amp Review: 35 more F-35 amps at intro price . . . - Page 6

post #76 of 258

a really noob question... in order to use the rsa lightning f35 amp with our ciems, we must invest in new cables with balanced connectors? or we can just get an adaptor and connect our single ended cables to it? Seriously thinking of pairing this with my studio v 3rd anniversary cos of the size!!!

post #77 of 258

You never want to use an adapter to go from an RSA balanced output to a standard termination.  You could cause an overload.  If you only need single ended, take a look at the Predator.  If you want both, look at the SR71B...

post #78 of 258

jeff is right, ray told it over and over again.

 

soundwise azarel a good single ended RSA amp might be better than a balanced amp(sr71/protector) used single ended imo.

 

then the price of getting all your headphones with balanced cable is something to consider idd. if you decide to go for it, the clever thing to do is to get all your headphones balances and then get an adapter that will go from balanced headphone to single ended source. this works really well and let you get the best of both worlds.

 

 

edit : sorry for the typos i should have checked.


Edited by castleofargh - 7/13/13 at 4:02pm
post #79 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post

jeff is right, ray told it over and over again.

 

soundwise azarel a good single ended RSA amp might be better than a balanced amp(sr71/protector) if used single ended imo.

 

then the price of getting all your headphones with balanced cable is something to consider idd. if you decide to go for it, the clever thing to do is to get all your headphones balances and then get and adapter that will go from balanced headphone to single ended source. this works really well and let you get the best of both words.

ah thanks for explanation guys. i guess i'll hold off going all balanced for the time being haha. but the size of the lightning f35 is really tempting me :P

post #80 of 258
Doubtful. I would like to see facts backing this up. If true, that is something I would discontinue using immediately if that were the case, but I've been using it for years on multiple setups without any problems. IF that were a problem, I would expect Moon Audio and ALO themselves to notify or warn anyone against it during purchasing. Both offer 3.5mm to Balanced cables and interconnects. Why offer a potentially dangerous plug choice?

I use my Balanced to 3.5mm interconnect on my AudioEngine A5 Speakers, going from my Dac/Amps Balanced RSA/ALO output to the A5s 3.5mm input. I also go from my portable sources 3.5mm output to the Amplifiers Balanced input, always using the same interconnect depending on if I want to listen to my JH16s or my Speakers. Never encountered any problems at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post

You never want to use an adapter to go from an RSA balanced output to a standard termination.  You could cause an overload.  If you only need single ended, take a look at the Predator.  If you want both, look at the SR71B...
post #81 of 258

There is really no point in using a 3.5 to RSA converter, isnt that the entire point of buying this amp so that you do not limit yourself with the bottle neck that is apparently the 3.5 is?

post #82 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMoxxi View Post

Doubtful. I would like to see facts backing this up. If true, that is something I would discontinue using immediately if that were the case, but I've been using it for years on multiple setups without any problems. IF that were a problem, I would expect Moon Audio and ALO themselves to notify or warn anyone against it during purchasing. Both offer 3.5mm to Balanced cables and interconnects. Why offer a potentially dangerous plug choice?

I use my Balanced to 3.5mm interconnect on my AudioEngine A5 Speakers, going from my Dac/Amps Balanced RSA/ALO output to the A5s 3.5mm input. I also go from my portable sources 3.5mm output to the Amplifiers Balanced input, always using the same interconnect depending on if I want to listen to my JH16s or my Speakers. Never encountered any problems at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post

You never want to use an adapter to go from an RSA balanced output to a standard termination.  You could cause an overload.  If you only need single ended, take a look at the Predator.  If you want both, look at the SR71B...

 

 

Quote:

F-35, The Lightning, The Smallest, Fully balanced, Input To Output Portable Headphone Amp In The World.

WARNING

The F-35 comes with ONLY balanced output connector. It has no 3.5 mm SE output. NEVER EVER short the balanced output pins to create a single ended output. Using an adapter to convert the balanced output plug to single ended plug will over heat the buffers and burn the output stage. This act will NOT be covered under warranty. The F-35 should ONLY be used as balanced output.

coming right from the RSA website

sounds factual enough to me not to wanna do it. 

maybe the way some other amps are built is protecting them?

post #83 of 258
I don't deny the validity of Ray's statement, I am worried.
Edited by MadMoxxi - 7/14/13 at 12:45am
post #84 of 258

I feel its the way Ray builds his circuitry, is the reason for this warning.  It might not apply to all amp makers.  But if I buy this amp, I will obey...

post #85 of 258
As an owner and enormous fan of the RSA Protector has anyone done a comparison between the Protector and the new Lightning. I love the balanced output of the Protector but I do not have nor do I want a balanced source so is it worth looking into the Lightning as it seems to be the big difference between the two is the Lighting allows for a balanced input and only has a balanced output.
post #86 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

As an owner and enormous fan of the RSA Protector has anyone done a comparison between the Protector and the new Lightning. I love the balanced output of the Protector but I do not have nor do I want a balanced source so is it worth looking into the Lightning as it seems to be the big difference between the two is the Lighting allows for a balanced input and only has a balanced output.


the protector is really the top of the lush sounding rsa. I imagine the lightning would be more resolving and lose a little of the so warm softness of the protector.

also the lightning seems to be aimed at power hungry cans.

2, 6 and 11 gain for protector and  3, 6 and 21for the lightning.

post #87 of 258
post #88 of 258

Very nice.  It is so, so tiny.....

 

Also, was this a demo unit, or is Ray taking orders for these?


Edited by ButtUglyJeff - 7/17/13 at 3:02pm
post #89 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

my review for anyone interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672857/rsa-f-35-the-lightening-review

Keith,

Excellent review. As an owner of the RSA Protector I could not agree more that once you go balanced you cannot go back to single output sound.
post #90 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post

Very nice.  It is so, so tiny.....

 

Also, was this a demo unit, or is Ray taking orders for these?

I did my review from a demo unit, but it was the final production on the inside.  spoke to ray today.  The silk screening will be different I think.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA The Lightning F-35, fully balanced portable amp Review: 35 more F-35 amps at intro price . . .