or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA The Lightning F-35, fully balanced portable amp Review: 35 more F-35 amps at intro price . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RSA The Lightning F-35, fully balanced portable amp Review: 35 more F-35 amps at intro price . . . - Page 14

post #196 of 258

What really surprises me is this: so small in size yet has enough power for full size cans and still perform without distorting the sound of c/iems. I might consider one for future but there are too many things in my list now, a portable amp can wait for the moment.

 

Btw, can it drive something like HE6?

post #197 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

What really surprises me is this: so small in size yet has enough power for full size cans and still perform without distorting the sound of c/iems. I might consider one for future but there are too many things in my list now, a portable amp can wait for the moment.

 

Btw, can it drive something like HE6?

Obviously not lol. 

post #198 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

Obviously not lol. 


So it is like, perfect but not that perfect :D

post #199 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


So it is like, perfect but not that perfect :D

Hardly any desktop amps can drive the HE-6... gonna be a long time before that happens...

post #200 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

Hardly any desktop amps can drive the HE-6... gonna be a long time before that happens...

F-35 can drive HE-6 to acceptable level but it is limited to the battery voltage as it can not swing more than 16 volts, which is perfect for all hard to drive phones & high impedance but the HE-6.

If you want the portable that can swing around 36 volts in balanced then the SR-71B & the Intruder do that. Either one can drive the HE-6.


Edited by Ray Samuels - 2/27/14 at 7:58am
post #201 of 258
I haven't heard either on the HE-6, would you say that it truly drives it well though and not just to acceptable volumes?
post #202 of 258

the two amps Ray mentioned do drive the HE6 very nicely.  the lightning can drive it for enough volume, but not as well.  not the choice for the he6

post #203 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
 

the two amps Ray mentioned do drive the HE6 very nicely.  the lightning can drive it for enough volume, but not as well.  not the choice for the he6


Well optimum choice for HE-6 headphones is a speaker amp, so of course expecting a "portable amp" to drive it "perfectly" is kind of a dream while most of the desktop level amps have problem with HE-6.

post #204 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


Well optimum choice for HE-6 headphones is a speaker amp, so of course expecting a "portable amp" to drive it "perfectly" is kind of a dream while most of the desktop level amps have problem with HE-6.

true, but Rays amps drive them better then most desktop amps.

post #205 of 258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
 

true, but Rays amps drive them better then most desktop amps.

Very true. 

post #206 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

What really surprises me is this: so small in size yet has enough power for full size cans and still perform without distorting the sound of c/iems. I might consider one for future but there are too many things in my list now, a portable amp can wait for the moment.

 

Btw, can it drive something like HE6?

 

No. Don't be silly.

 

Get the SR-71b or Intruder if you MUST use a portable amp tot drive HE-6, but a desktop amp like the EF6 will be best.

post #207 of 258
I want to pass along my observations if you are using the F-35 with an interconnect. I use an iPod Touch 5th as my source and while I have a LOD and a lighting to 30 pin adapter, I found the Wolfson DAC in the adapter inferior to the native Cirrus Logic DAC in the iPod. Also, using the LOD locked the sound output at close to maximum which is why I am writing this note.

I was chatting with my brother who was a sound engineer for a regional band in his misspent youth and he stated that when mixing he always kept the source low and let the amplifier (assuming you have a great amplifier) carry the load to the speakers. So, following that logic, I used an interconnect to the F-35 and turned the iPod volume down to 50-60% and turn up the Lightning. I realize I am double amping but I hear no distortion or artifacts at that volume level. As for the sound, it really opened up the soundstage as well as the overall clarity. I also have a good friend who has the RSA Intruder/iPod combination and he also now does this and agrees that improvement is substantial.

The key is you need the amplifier that has the power and engineering to accomplish this task without distortion or clipping. Just another reason why the F-35 Lightning truly is a superb amplifier.
post #208 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

I want to pass along my observations if you are using the F-35 with an interconnect. I use an iPod Touch 5th as my source and while I have a LOD and a lighting to 30 pin adapter, I found the Wolfson DAC in the adapter inferior to the native Cirrus Logic DAC in the iPod. Also, using the LOD locked the sound output at close to maximum which is why I am writing this note.

I was chatting with my brother who was a sound engineer for a regional band in his misspent youth and he stated that when mixing he always kept the source low and let the amplifier (assuming you have a great amplifier) carry the load to the speakers. So, following that logic, I used an interconnect to the F-35 and turned the iPod volume down to 50-60% and turn up the Lightning. I realize I am double amping but I hear no distortion or artifacts at that volume level. As for the sound, it really opened up the soundstage as well as the overall clarity. I also have a good friend who has the RSA Intruder/iPod combination and he also now does this and agrees that improvement is substantial.

The key is you need the amplifier that has the power and engineering to accomplish this task without distortion or clipping. Just another reason why the F-35 Lightning truly is a superb amplifier.

I'm confused by your setup.   the way it sounds, you are going from an iPod, to a dac, to the f35.  LOD's don't have DACs in them, and neither should a cable adaptor.  I don't know where the wolfson comes into play?  if your just going from the iPod into a lightning/30 pin adaptor, into the amp, you should be listening to the iPod DAC.  Just not the amp.  I'm sure I'm confused here.  Please explain your setup better.  specifically, where the DAC changes.

post #209 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

I'm confused by your setup.   the way it sounds, you are going from an iPod, to a dac, to the f35.  LOD's don't have DACs in them, and neither should a cable adaptor.  I don't know where the wolfson comes into play?  if your just going from the iPod into a lightning/30 pin adaptor, into the amp, you should be listening to the iPod DAC.  Just not the amp.  I'm sure I'm confused here.  Please explain your setup better.  specifically, where the DAC changes.

I am sorry if I was not clear. The Lightning to 30 pin adapter sold by Apple has a Wolfson DAC built into it. So if I use the adapter to an 30 pin LOD I am bypassing the Cirrus Logic DAC built into the iPod in favor of the Wolfson.
post #210 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


I am sorry if I was not clear. The Lightning to 30 pin adapter sold by Apple has a Wolfson DAC built into it. So if I use the adapter to an 30 pin LOD I am bypassing the Cirrus Logic DAC built into the iPod in favor of the Wolfson.

Huh, I wonder why they did that?  thanks for the clarification.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA The Lightning F-35, fully balanced portable amp Review: 35 more F-35 amps at intro price . . .