Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › I don't know what headphones to get!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I don't know what headphones to get!!! - Page 2

post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I own Grado SR80i's and SR325is's, the 80i's are an incredible price/performance headphone (amazing), but like you stated everyone has different tastes so you would nave to listen to them for yourself, and also they do not fit any of the needs that you mentioned. They are on ear (supra-aural), and they open back design. As far as looks, I love the look of them, I love every single thing about them, and I've never heard such a close to live sounding headphone, (especially for 99$ from Amazon), but thats just my opinion.

Thanks! I looked at those headphones on google images and they look pretty good!  As I mentioned in the first post I put in this thread, I wanted to get the Sennheiser HD 449's.  Well today I finally got to try them out at The Source and they were pretty good.  The only thing I didn't like about them is that they were not as comfortable as I thought they would be.  Overall I think they had pretty good sound, but it wasnt the kind of sound I was looking for.  It had more mids and highs and not enough bass.  Did you buy any of your headphones at an actual store?  If so what store was it?

post #17 of 23
Thread Starter 

The Audio-Technica ATH M50's look really nice.  Anyone else think they are good?

post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollersWin View Post

The Audio-Technica ATH M50's look really nice.  Anyone else think they are good?

The M50 is a good starter headphone for beginners. To me they're a little light on bass for rap but you can always buy a bass boosting amp and it'll give you a decent amount of bass, it won't be basshead level bass but it'll be good enough if you're not a basshead.

post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

The M50 is a good starter headphone for beginners. To me they're a little light on bass for rap but you can always buy a bass boosting amp and it'll give you a decent amount of bass, it won't be basshead level bass but it'll be good enough if you're not a basshead.

Thanks.  I am actually not even a fan of rap but I only have  a few songs.  I don't know why I put it on the list.  And I'm not a basshead.  One question, If I were to listen to music with lots of acoustic guitar in it would I be able to hear the acoustics really well and clearly?

post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollersWin View Post

Thanks for the advice!  I checked out these headphones and just by looking at them they look like they cover your ears up pretty good and they seem like they would have very good sound.  The only thing I am concerned about is that they look like they would be very heavy on your head.  Also I have one question about them.  When you are listening to them at an average volume, can you hear things that are happening outside of the headphones?  For example if I was in a store and they were playing music on the loudspeaker  and I had these headphones in, would I be able to hear the music that is playing on the loudspeaker?  I want headphones where you can't hear sounds around you like a jet engine.

The isolation on them is extremely good and they're not actually heavy at all. At first, the clamping force is pretty strong but put them on a few books larger than your head overnight and you should be good to go. They do go over your ears completely which is the reason why the isolation is so good. 

post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollersWin View Post

Thanks! I looked at those headphones on google images and they look pretty good!  As I mentioned in the first post I put in this thread, I wanted to get the Sennheiser HD 449's.  Well today I finally got to try them out at The Source and they were pretty good.  The only thing I didn't like about them is that they were not as comfortable as I thought they would be.  Overall I think they had pretty good sound, but it wasnt the kind of sound I was looking for.  It had more mids and highs and not enough bass.  Did you buy any of your headphones at an actual store?  If so what store was it?

I traded my Alessandro MS2i's with a friend who bought the 325's, because I liked his and he liked mine, it was just a matter of preference. I purchased my 80's from Woodbridge Stereo in N.J.. I will tell you right now that the 80's have excellent mids and highs, and they are not heavy on the bass either, but the bass is fast and tight. Like I said before, I personally love these headphones, to me the instruments sound very, very life like, as do the vocals. As far as guitars go, you'll be very impressed, (acoustic or electric) they reproduce guitars excellent,they reproduce everything excellent. I love them so much that I wrapped the drivers in some Vibrolabs (classic) mahogany wooden cups and (L) cushions from Grado, because I felt they very well deserved it. So they are now up to 220$ (the cups where 100$ and the cushions where 20$), and I didn't even have to think about it, thats how much I love them.

post #22 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I traded my Alessandro MS2i's with a friend who bought the 325's, because I liked his and he liked mine, it was just a matter of preference. I purchased my 80's from Woodbridge Stereo in N.J.. I will tell you right now that the 80's have excellent mids and highs, and they are not heavy on the bass either, but the bass is fast and tight. Like I said before, I personally love these headphones, to me the instruments sound very, very life like, as do the vocals. As far as guitars go, you'll be very impressed, (acoustic or electric) they reproduce guitars excellent,they reproduce everything excellent. I love them so much that I wrapped the drivers in some Vibrolabs (classic) mahogany wooden cups and (L) cushions from Grado, because I felt they very well deserved it. So they are now up to 220$ (the cups where 100$ and the cushions where 20$), and I didn't even have to think about it, thats how much I love them.

I am new to all of this headphone stuff but I think I'm going to start getting into them more.  Maybe this summer after I buy my first pair of headphones I will get the 80's.  The only reason that I don't buy them now is because at the moment I am looking for Over ear.  Do you have the Grado SR-80i's Or just the 80's?  What is the difference and which is better?  Thanks!

post #23 of 23

I own the SR80i's, the SR80's are an older version. I listened to my friends 80's who had bought them years ago, then eventually Grado made some slight changes to the driver and the cable and called it the 80i (i for improved). They both sound awesome to me. You can only buy the 80i unless you buy used 80's, but for the price of the 80i (100$, I don't know your situation) it may not pay to buy used 80's. I preferred the sound of my 80i over the previous 80, but like I said either or are fine. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › I don't know what headphones to get!!!