- 261 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Khorffakan port sharjah
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- The Astell & Kern AK120 Last post on Today at 12:39 am in Portable Source Gear
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP Last post on 4/9/15 at 2:13am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread - Page 47
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I want to use it with youtube movies or tunein radio on the phone or tablet
Just my Ak120 wont work
I found it handy when I just wanted to stream music from time to time. Didn't really use it very often though
This thread is general for ppl using all kinds of dacs. But here ppl own a ak120 im sure more ppl tried it.
Theres just going something wrong during the switch to dac while connected to the phone.
Does anybody know how to lock AK120 to use "line out" with the max volume all the time? Even though I turn on "the line out option," it is gone when the unit shuts down.
Since I use a headphone amp with AK120, I always use "line out." It is annoying to set the option every time.
If you always want to use the line out, just turn the volume wheel up to max and leave it there.
That's the point of Red Wine mod S & B on the AKs, to effectively bypass the internal amp and have a true LO.
Here're some relevant quotes of RWA :
"The stock AK120 uses two Wolfson WM8740 dacs configured in “software mode.” This means that the AK120 software configures the dacs and allows for a digital volume control of the unit. We discovered that even with the volume set to MAX (setting 75), the output voltage of the WM8740 signal is still attenuated in the digital domain."
"The RWAK120-S modification also hardwires the analog line-output stage following the WM8741 directly to the headphone output jack. Therefore, the headphone output stage is completely bypassed and the headphone output jack is converted to a true, 2Vrms line-output."
I happily replaced my AK100II with a RWAK120-B, partly because of that.
Yes. It does. It appears that Line Out of AK120 EQ is just setting the volume to the max of 75 and keeping it at the max.
I tried couple of portable headphone amps with AK120. My cans are DT1350, which has 80 ohm of impedance. There is some benefit through the amps. I can hear more punches. But the sound directly from AK120 is the most clear. Now I am back to AK120 + DT1350 and no others, as like my profile picture ;)
I got it from in the front side just below a screen. Is not my fault. It is a scratch from a person who packed the ak120 in a factory.
I bought it in store and opened it at home. Now sellers dont want to change for me
So I have an AK120 with a hiss in the left channel, has anyone had this?
Is it worth me trying to roll back firmware to see if that resolves it or is this more than likely hardware?
Also, which firmware are most people happy with?
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
- › Music City Meet -- Spring 2015 -- Pics & Impressions Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 21 seconds ago
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM! 1 minute ago
- › Vsonic VSD2 / VSD2S and AN16 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › No balanced! WHY?!! 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › NVX XPT100 vs Takstar Pro 80 3 minutes ago
- › Cozoy Astrapi by Xtralglactic
- › Linum 2Pin Detachable Connector - BaX Dual Twist Model by acain
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Wokei
- › Audio Technica AT-PHA50BT by unknownsolo
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by kite7
- › Sennheiser IE80 by ahnvx
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by ExCelciuS
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2