i prefer 1.37 honestly, one of the features is able to change the connection type through the player setting directly, as for sounds wise, indeed not much different
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Astell & Kern AK120 Last post on 10/18/16 at 12:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread Last post on Today at 9:24 am in Portable Source Gear
- Review: LOTOO PAW 5000 - A very versatile portable player Last post on 1/8/16 at 6:30am in Portable Source Gear
- Lotoo PAW 5000 Tour - Reviewers Wanted! Last post on 2/15/16 at 8:30am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Lotoo PAW 5000 Review by mark2410 Last post on 8/20/15 at 9:06am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/823483/hifiman-re-00-earphone-review-by-mark2410 Brief: OMFG...
This review won't be too detailed, just a vote of respect for such a fine pair of headphones. I tend to like warm toned headphones, rather than purely neutral sets, and the Philips Fidelio X2 has...
The NAD VISO HP50 could have been a truly outstanding headphone. They produced a set with great sound, with a marvelous midrange, bass when it is called for in the music and highs that do not...
Philips SHP8000 40mm Dynamic Semi Open Full-size Headphones 10/21/2016 This ends up being an import only, semi-open, full-size around-ear headphone, priced at about $80.00...
Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread - Page 36
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I love this new option as well ...
I hope AK adds the ability to read .dsf tags in the next update since an advertised feature is DSD64 compatibility.
I decided to write A&K support since I had several questions about my new AK120. I thought I would post it here and followup with whatever answer I receive back so that others may learn from my experience:
Edited by jwbrent - 2/2/14 at 11:09pm
i just found out that my updated ak120 has this issue where i drag the timeline of the sound, when i release it, no sound until i press pause button then play it again, anyone having this issue?
I just checked mine and while playing a song if I use the scrubber to go to a different part of the song and then release it, the song continues to play from that point without pressing play again.
I have an RWAK 120S that has the same scrubbing problem. Mine worked fine for about a week but hasn't worked since then. Also the << "button" on the touch screen only goes back to the beginning of the track that is playing, not back through the folder, no matter how many times I press it, just back to the start of the same song.
I've emailed iriver and will post what I get back.
My reset doesn't seem to do anything either, no indication of a reset, as a previous poster mentioned. It did this with 1.33 and now 1.37, no difference.
....sounds great though :)
Here's the reply I received from iriver regarding the questions I posed in a recent email:
Dear iriver customer,
Thank you for contacting iriver customer support.
Please note the answers to your questions below:
1) I’ve noticed that when I have my AK120 connected to my main music system using a very high quality cable, there is a buzzing sound (sounds like a grounding issue) that comes through my speakers for about 2 seconds after one track ends and before the next track begins. This buzzing sound never appeared with my AK100 using the exact same cable and system setup. The buzzing sound is not present when using headphones, only when connected to my system. If I turn on gapless playback, there is no buzzing sound between tracks unless I manually skip a track. Are you aware of this anomaly?
To better understand the nature of your setup at home, please provide us with more information on what equipments are used with the AK120. A picture attachment of the setup would help us as well.
2) Will you add complete support for reading metadata on .dsf files in a future firmware update? Currently, no artwork appears on the playback screen yet it does appear on the album listing screen.
Currently artwork is not supported on DSD file formats but we are working on the issue for future updates.
3) Given the storage space available on the AK120 and the likelihood of owners having thousands of songs stored, do you plan on adding a search function in a future firmware update?
We will forward your message to our engineering team for a review.
4) I contacted you before about artwork not showing up on all my songs. I am a member of Head-Fi and have read on the forums that the artwork needs to be no bigger than 500x500 pixels and you concurred, but I have tried reducing the size on some of the files using smaller artwork yet it still does not show up. Do you plan on fixing this anomaly?
Please make sure that the image file of your album art is in JPG format and try again.
5) I have tried resetting my AK120 a number of times by holding the topmost button on the left side simultaneously with the power button for more than 7 seconds, but all that happens is the AK120 displays the good bye message and turns off. If I try to reset the unit from a powered off state, the loading screen comes on for about 5 seconds and then the unit shuts off. I recall that my AK100 reset function did not operate this way and there was some indication that I had indeed reset my player. Can you help me with this?
Hard resetting is used only when the unit is frozen and unresponsive. To properly hard reset, please press and hold the ON button and the Previous track button (top button on the left side of unit) at the same time for 7+ seconds before letting go of both buttons at the same time. The timing to let go is when the screen goes dark from a frozen screen/state.
6) The alphabetical order of albums displayed on the AK120 begins with number titles and then goes to albums beginning with Z before going to albums beginning with A. Just thought you might like t know.
This issue has been reported to our engineering team already but we will send the message again.
If you have any questions or concerns please email us back at any time.
Thanks & Regards,
CS & Tech Support
I suggested to Jonathan at iriver that they make the control on the far right side which allows quick scanning of a library's content a bit wider. I have trouble at times engaging this control. I also suggested they adopt Apple's method of using a small translucent dialog box that shows the first letter of where one is at when they do a quick scan. Your point, though, is noted since a traditional search seems beyond the capacity of the inherent design.
I guess the search function will be a great challenge for them. Besides the screen issue, another issue of the search function will be input language support, since they will need to support searching for non-English title songs (e.g. Japanese, Korean etc), unless they restricted this searching feature for English titles only...
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 15 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 31 seconds ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 35 seconds ago
- › Setting up a Schiit stack with my computer / headphones 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 4 minutes ago
- › can anyone intro me to a cable maker? need one for my audeze sine 4 minutes ago
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone by InternPrimas
- › Panasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitor by Kerry56
- › Chord&Major 01'16 Electric Tonal Earphone by Cinder
- › Cowon PM2-128SL Plenue M2 PM2 High Resolution Music Player 128GB... by twister6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...