Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread - Page 26

post #376 of 581

No apologies needed. Sometimes it's scary that English is my my 1st language, well actually, Merican.ksc75smile.gif

post #377 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

No apologies needed. Sometimes it's scary that English is my my 1st language, well actually, Merican.ksc75smile.gif

 

biggrin.gif

post #378 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

Totally missed my point. Since most will use the internal amp on a stock or rwak120, it will consume additional energy driving headphones that the rwak120-s will not. The usage difference will likely mitigate the play time difference so those getting the -s upgrade may not be losing much if any real world play time. If they used their stock AK120 with an amp, Vinnie's 20% estimation would hold true.

 

I got your point exactly and agree!!  Even though the 8741 dacs are drawing a bit more, there's no draw from an internal amp.  I figured these would cancel, however i'm still seeing a bit of a faster drain.  Not sure why.  Haven't said much yet, because i really need to quantify it.

post #379 of 581

It will always be relative to load and effeciency. The extra drain and higher V requirement for the analog stage is why we likely don't see more 8471s in portables.

post #380 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb View Post

 

I got your point exactly and agree!!  Even though the 8741 dacs are drawing a bit more, there's no draw from an internal amp.  I figured these would cancel, however i'm still seeing a bit of a faster drain.  Not sure why.  Haven't said much yet, because i really need to quantify it.

 

All,

 

The extra current draw from the WM8741s is *somewhat* countered by not powering headphones - but not fully.  

If you were using the stock AK120 to power IEMs, even if they are 24-ohm, they are still very sensitive and you never play

them at full volume because it is way too loud.  So if you are playing at around "60" or so, the current draw is not that much, and

is not constant (music has dynamic range - it is not always full signal).  But the current consumption of the dac is pretty much constant and higher.

 

Also, if you are playing DSD files, then expect the shortest play time because the DSD files take up the most processing (to

convert them to PCM), followed by 24/192, 24/176.4, ... etc.  This is true for the stock and modded AK100/120 units.  But the RWAK120S (dual WM8741) AND playing DSD is going to consume the most power.

 

Vinnie

post #381 of 581

Sounds like DSD is still software based.

post #382 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

Sounds like DSD is still software based.

I don't think so.  I think what he meant was that the 8741 just uses more power, especially with DSD processing.

post #383 of 581

Except that DSD doesn't take more native resources than other HiDef media. Unless the FW was changed, It's likely not setup to feed dsd directly to the DAC. Not a biggie in my book.

post #384 of 581

334+AK120 nice set ! Can't image anything better. 

 

My local dealer finally have them in stock. Might go and listen to it for couple hours.

post #385 of 581

Another headphone experiment with AK120:

 

AK120 + HE-400 is a truly great set. AK120 drives these Hifiman phones very easily. Fantastic clarity, depth and dynamics at just above 50 on the volume dial.

post #386 of 581

sub'ed

post #387 of 581
Thread Starter 

I will update the first post and add links to various mods. 

post #388 of 581

I love the AK120. Now I'm burning in Vinnie's RWAK120 :)

post #389 of 581

Do you notice any differences between the stock AK and the RWAK? And what gear are you using?


Edited by Gurdipurdi - 9/10/13 at 4:47am
post #390 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurdipurdi View Post
 

Do you notice any differences between the stock AK and the RWAK? And what gear are you using?

 

I found substantial differences between the stock AK120 and the RWAK120-S as detailed earlier.  Keeps getting better and better.  Of course, with the S mod, you will need external amplification.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread