Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread - Page 19

post #271 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatinvietnam View Post

Glad to report that the AK120 -> Schitt Lyr -> LCD-2 Rev2 is Awesome... I turn the volume Max on AK120 and Lyr at 11-12 hour and the LCD-2 is plenty loud. Cannot go any higher.

 

It actually sound better than my iMac (Amarra) -> Bifrost -> Lyr -> LCD-2 Rev2

 

I think I will need to sell the Bifrost DAC, since it will not be used...

 

This is the same conclusion with my friend who has a Bifrost->Valhalla setup.  He's been like dang to hear the AK120 outperforming his beloved Bifrost...

post #272 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbig View Post

Sorry for the noob question, but all of this is only possible if you have an SACD capable PS3, correct?  Thanks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

Yes, the ripping project requires a PS3 model CECH-A, B, C or E (all of which are 2007 or earlier).  Even worse, they need to NOT have ever been updated beyond firmware/system version 3.55.

 

There may be at least one other option. A few years ago Sony released the SCDXA5400ES; at the time, it was the first and only SACD player to feature digital output. (As far as I know, all prior players offered only analog output.) The 5400 is a rare breed, as it uses HDMI to output DSD directly. Indeed, I remember reading that even the PS3 converts DSD to PCM, so I'm wary of the authenticity of DSD rips.

 

Regards,

Brian


Edited by bcarr112281 - 7/24/13 at 8:51am
post #273 of 593

I still prefer the DACport LX by a decent margin over the AK120 connected to the Triad L3. Still a very good option to use when on the go :).

post #274 of 593

I have an album with 15 songs in AIFF format. I copy this album and convert into 4 popular formats (WAV, AIFF, FLAC & ALAC .m4a). All songs on the album is 24bits/96kHz. I use XLD on iMac to do the conversion.

 

Size comparison: (I see consistent numbers)

- AIFF 2,502,778,496 bytes (2.5 GB)

- WAV 2,499,962,008 bytes (2.5 GB)

- FLAC 1,440,211,425 bytes (1.44 GB)

- ALAC (.m4a) 1,446,013,532 bytes (1.45 GB)

 

Album Art:

- AIFF Album Art (NO)

- WAV Album Art (NO)

- FLAC Album Art (YES)

- ALAC (.m4a) Album Art (YES)

 

Individual Songs Art:

- AIFF Album Art (NO)

- WAV Album Art (NO)

- FLAC Album Art (YES)

- ALAC (.m4a) Album Art (YES)

 

Will do extensive listen test between formats on AK120 to see if I can spot or prefer one over the other.

post #275 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatinvietnam View Post

I have an album with 15 songs in AIFF format. I copy this album and convert into 4 popular formats (WAV, AIFF, FLAC & ALAC .m4a). All songs on the album is 24bits/96kHz. I use XLD on iMac to do the conversion.

 

Size comparison: (I see consistent numbers)

- AIFF 2,502,778,496 bytes (2.5 GB)

- WAV 2,499,962,008 bytes (2.5 GB)

- FLAC 1,440,211,425 bytes (1.44 GB)

- ALAC (.m4a) 1,446,013,532 bytes (1.45 GB)

 

Album Art:

- AIFF Album Art (NO)

- WAV Album Art (NO)

- FLAC Album Art (YES)

- ALAC (.m4a) Album Art (YES)

 

Individual Songs Art:

- AIFF Album Art (NO)

- WAV Album Art (NO)

- FLAC Album Art (YES)

- ALAC (.m4a) Album Art (YES)

 

Will do extensive listen test between formats on AK120 to see if I can spot or prefer one over the other.

 

Since they are all lossless, then they should all sound identical. Factor in the filesize difference, and the fact of ALAC and FLAC supporting tagging and album art, I can't understand why anyone would use WAV or AIFF.

popcorn.gif

(waiting for someone to post that they hear a difference....I know someone will.)wink.gif

post #276 of 593

I am of the side of "No Sound Differences", but just have to do it to satisfy my curiosity etysmile.gif

 

I hope that with this test, I can finally put to rest and be comfortable with my choice. If there is no sound differences to my ears, then YES it would be great for me to convert my large library of Hi-Res 24/192kHZ albums (AIFF) to (ALAC .m4a) and save on HD storage. Then it is easier to just copy music to the AK120 and retains all the tags.

 

I live in the Apple ecosystem, so this will be the best solution for me. Finger cross, that I will find No Sound Differences.

 

Thanks for your input Achme....


Edited by expatinvietnam - 7/24/13 at 8:53pm
post #277 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatinvietnam View Post

I am of the side of "No Sound Differences", but just have to do it to satisfy my curiosity etysmile.gif

 

I hope that with this test, I can finally put to rest and be comfortable with my choice. If there is no sound differences to my ears, then YES it would be great for me to convert my large library of Hi-Res 24/92kHZ albums (AIFF) to (ALAC .m4a) and save on HD storage. Then it is easier to just copy music to the AK120 and retains all the tags.

 

I live in the Apple ecosystem, so this will be the best solution for me. Finger cross, that I will find No Sound Differences.

 

Thanks for your input Achme....

I'm not familiar with XLD, since I am in the Windows ecosystem, but I thought of one potential difference-maker....will the conversion retain the 24/96 sampling of the originals?

post #278 of 593

I just checked all the songs and all formats loaded on the AK120 and it retains the 24 bit /96kHZ.

 

When I use XLD, I ensure that I have options not upsampling/down sampling....

 

I played some songs and it all showed 24 bit /96kHZ.

 

As I was doing this checking. I have the AK120 at volume 65, and switching the same song thru 4 formats and the volume output is the same to my ears.

 

Will have my wife do a Blind-Test for me tonight, without distractions... smily_headphones1.gif Will report soon...


Edited by expatinvietnam - 7/24/13 at 9:05pm
post #279 of 593
Thread Starter 

I've noticed that AK120 does not playback DSD without gap less.  

post #280 of 593

Inital test impression:

 

Test track:

- Keith Don't Go, Nils Lofgren (24 bit / 96kHZ)

 

Equipment:

AK120 -> Schitt Lyr -> LCD-2 Rev 2

Maximum HO on AK120

12 o'clock on Lyr volume pot

 

Everything is fixed, I just switch songs and listen (eyes closed)

 

Going all the way thru the song 2 times (WAV -> FLAC -> AIFF -> .m4a)

Going all the way thru the song 2 times (FLAC ->AIFF ->.m4a -> WAV)

Going to certain section of the song (3-4 times) checking for certain passages.

 

Finding to my ears:

The volume I hear is the same for all formats

Song go thru without hick-up on all formats

No SQ difference anywhere

post #281 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatinvietnam View Post

Inital test impression:

 

Test track:

- Keith Don't Go, Nils Lofgren (24 bit / 96kHZ)

 

Equipment:

AK120 -> Schitt Lyr -> LCD-2 Rev 2

Maximum HO on AK120

12 o'clock on Lyr volume pot

 

Everything is fixed, I just switch songs and listen (eyes closed)

 

Going all the way thru the song 2 times (WAV -> FLAC -> AIFF -> .m4a)

Going all the way thru the song 2 times (FLAC ->AIFF ->.m4a -> WAV)

Going to certain section of the song (3-4 times) checking for certain passages.

 

Finding to my ears:

The volume I hear is the same for all formats

Song go thru without hick-up on all formats

No SQ difference anywhere

 

Can you include 16bit/44kHZ FLAC for the comparison?

post #282 of 593

More test on the sounds of different lossless formats: (AIFF, WAV, FLAC, ALAC)

 

Test tracks (All songs are 24 bit / 96kHZ):

- Keith Don't Go, Nils Lofgren

- What A Different A Day Make, Ingram Washington

- A Lover in Berlin, Kari Bremmes

- St. James Infirmary, Hans Theessink

- Caruso, Pharos Dynamic Voice

- Take Five, Dave Brubeck Quartet 

 

Equipment:

AK120 -> Schitt Lyr -> LCD-2 Rev 2

Maximum HO on AK120

12 o'clock on Lyr volume pot

 

Everything is fixed, I just switch songs and listen.

 

My conclusion and it is just my opinion:

- The volume I hear is the same for all formats

- Song played without hick-up on all formats

- No SQ difference anywhere

post #283 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatinvietnam View Post

More test on the sounds of different lossless formats: (AIFF, WAV, FLAC, ALAC)

 

Test tracks (All songs are 24 bit / 96kHZ):

- Keith Don't Go, Nils Lofgren

- What A Different A Day Make, Ingram Washington

- A Lover in Berlin, Kari Bremmes

- St. James Infirmary, Hans Theessink

- Caruso, Pharos Dynamic Voice

- Take Five, Dave Brubeck Quartet 

 

Equipment:

AK120 -> Schitt Lyr -> LCD-2 Rev 2

Maximum HO on AK120

12 o'clock on Lyr volume pot

 

Everything is fixed, I just switch songs and listen.

 

My conclusion and it is just my opinion:

- The volume I hear is the same for all formats

- Song played without hick-up on all formats

- No SQ difference anywhere

 

Thanks for sharing. smile_phones.gif

post #284 of 593

Today, a friend loan me the AKG K3003 IEM to try with my AK120.

 

WOW, I love it... Now I cannot go back to my Shure SE535. 

 

The sound is clear, dynamic and huge soundstage. The build is high-quality, and very easy to wear.

 

The only two nit-picking is the cable cannot be change, and the noise isolation is not as good as Shure..

 

I think I will need to buy a Hybrid IEM design like this IEM. 

post #285 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatinvietnam View Post

Today, a friend loan me the AKG K3003 IEM to try with my AK120.

 

WOW, I love it... Now I cannot go back to my Shure SE535. 

 

The sound is clear, dynamic and huge soundstage. The build is high-quality, and very easy to wear.

 

The only two nit-picking is the cable cannot be change, and the noise isolation is not as good as Shure..

 

I think I will need to buy a Hybrid IEM design like this IEM. 

 

Dat 1plus2

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread