Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Amarra Hifi or Decibel or Aurdivana Plus for Mac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amarra Hifi or Decibel or Aurdivana Plus for Mac

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Narrowed by choices down to 3 options. Favor the Decibel because of the price, Amarra because of its name, and Aurivana Plus because of its great reviewed lately. Been reading articles from Headfonia and Currawong all day and cannot decided which one between the three. My budget are around these three options so anyone please help me make a decision! So I can finally move on with life! Thanks....

post #2 of 15

Depends what your use case will be. Personally, I love Amarra.

It has the worst GUI but best sound and is the priciest.

 

However I like BitPerfect for ease of use. It is out of sight (only in the menue bar)

offers gapless playback, buffering, upsampling and integer mode.

 

It's also the cheapest and most 'fuss free.' But again, it comes down to your use case.

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Depends what your use case will be. Personally, I love Amarra.

It has the worst GUI but best sound and is the priciest.

 

However I like BitPerfect for ease of use. It is out of sight (only in the menue bar)

offers gapless playback, buffering, upsampling and integer mode.

 

It's also the cheapest and most 'fuss free.' But again, it comes down to your use case.

 

Would you say that the sound quality differs much between the Amarra Hifi ($50 most basic version) vs. BitPerfect ($10)?

post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit View Post

 

Would you say that the sound quality differs much between the Amarra Hifi ($50 most basic version) vs. BitPerfect ($10)?

I would say the sound quality is quite similar all-around. Subtle is the word I'd use

to describe the differentials. However for some that makes the difference worth it.

 

Personally, I haven't spent extensive time with Amarra Hifi, so I couldn't honestly say.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I would say the sound quality is quite similar all-around. Subtle is the word I'd use

to describe the differentials. However for some that makes the difference worth it.

 

Personally, I haven't spent extensive time with Amarra Hifi, so I couldn't honestly say.

 

Thanks for your help, since you mention that the sound quality is quite similar and the Bit perfect is much easier to use and  cheaper, I guess I will purchase Bit Perfect. 

However, I just came across someone mentioning Fidelia with the FHX add-on for headphone as a very good music player for headphones. Have you personally tried it?

Also do you mean that in general terms, music software beside the iTunes such as Bit perfect, Amarra, Decibel, Pure Music are an significant improvement over iTunes but among these music software themselves do not differ much by sound quality but differs by features and interface?

Thanks

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit View Post

 

Thanks for your help, since you mention that the sound quality is quite similar and the Bit perfect is much easier to use and  cheaper, I guess I will purchase Bit Perfect. 

However, I just came across someone mentioning Fidelia with the FHX add-on for headphone as a very good music player for headphones. Have you personally tried it?

Also do you mean that in general terms, music software beside the iTunes such as Bit perfect, Amarra, Decibel, Pure Music are an significant improvement over iTunes but among these music software themselves do not differ much by sound quality but differs by features and interface?

Thanks

All of the aforementioned are good alternative to using Itunes standalone.

 

For me, Amarra has the best SQ and I generally use it for more high-res music. BitPerfect is the most used for me,

the ease and convenience it offers makes it a 'better' program than Amarra.

 

IMO, generally speaking all of those players do sound rather similar to one another.

And some have more features, etc. 

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

All of the aforementioned are good alternative to using Itunes standalone.

 

For me, Amarra has the best SQ and I generally use it for more high-res music. BitPerfect is the most used for me,

the ease and convenience it offers makes it a 'better' program than Amarra.

 

IMO, generally speaking all of those players do sound rather similar to one another.

And some have more features, etc. 

Thanks Paradoxper, you have been very helpful!

For now I think I will purchase the fidelia as it is $20 for basic and I can upgrade to advance or buy the FHX added on later once I feel like it. Anyone with experience with Fidelia? It will be a while before my DAC and AMP arrives so I still have time to decide which to purchase. Thanks.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit View Post

Thanks Paradoxper, you have been very helpful!

For now I think I will purchase the fidelia as it is $20 for basic and I can upgrade to advance or buy the FHX added on later once I feel like it. Anyone with experience with Fidelia? It will be a while before my DAC and AMP arrives so I still have time to decide which to purchase. Thanks.

Glad to be of some help. 

post #9 of 15

Amarra HiFi includes a good built in EQ. I like to use bass boost with it. 

 

Bitperfect is fine and I used that before but I have found the Amarra EQ totally worth it. 

 

Just my 2 cents. 

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit View Post

Narrowed by choices down to 3 options. Favor the Decibel because of the price, Amarra because of its name, and Aurivana Plus because of its great reviewed lately. Been reading articles from Headfonia and Currawong all day and cannot decided which one between the three. My budget are around these three options so anyone please help me make a decision! So I can finally move on with life! Thanks....

Have you tried Fidelia? I've auditioned Amarra and Audirvana Plus as well as Pure Music and found that Fidelia offered the most value in terms of SQ and features for the money. It has an entry price of only $20 and even adding the advanced module and FHX crossfeed module it's still a bargain.

post #11 of 15

To my ears, on my system, Amarra has the edge over Audirvana and PureMusic.  I really wish they'd do a better UI and give it more features, like DSD playback, though.  It sort of lags in that department compared to the others.  I keep going back to it though...

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

To my ears, on my system, Amarra has the edge over Audirvana and PureMusic.  I really wish they'd do a better UI and give it more features, like DSD playback, though.  It sort of lags in that department compared to the others.  I keep going back to it though...

I sorta like the Amarra interface. It's not overly complicated and works seamlessly with iTunes. It does sound great to my ears as well.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post


I sorta like the Amarra interface. It's not overly complicated and works seamlessly with iTunes. It does sound great to my ears as well.

Honestly, I like the way it looks.  It just doesn't do much except switch sample rates, and play music...  Oh yeah, that's all I wanted wink.gif

 

I'm nitpicking, but I wish it would play DSD files, and I wish they'd fix whatever bugs that recent iTunes update introduced.  I was hoping 2.5.1 would do it, but it didn't triportsad.gif

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

Honestly, I like the way it looks.  It just doesn't do much except switch sample rates, and play music...  Oh yeah, that's all I wanted wink.gif

 

I'm nitpicking, but I wish it would play DSD files, and I wish they'd fix whatever bugs that recent iTunes update introduced.  I was hoping 2.5.1 would do it, but it didn't triportsad.gif

It's because they want to sell you the more expensive versions:

 

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/amarraproducts

post #15 of 15

I guess the answer may depend on your music tastes and equipment. I'm now evaluating trial versions of Amarra, Fidelia and Audirvana and the sound does differ on good headphones and external DAC/AMP. So I think you should just try 15-days demos to decide.

 

For me, Amarra seems to sound more warm, rich and analog-style than more "hard" and "digital" Audirvana, but the interface and format support of the last one is superior. Fidelia is also good with its FHX modules for headphones, but the user experience for me is not that convenient. Again, all of this is very subjective.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Amarra Hifi or Decibel or Aurdivana Plus for Mac