You will never get that subwoofer feeling with headphones, although some of the big orthos will come close. The LCD2 is probably the best in that regards, or perhaps the HE-400. In cheaper fare, the Ultrasone Pro750/900 are up there, as well as the Audio Technica Pro700mk2 (aka Denon HP1000). The Beyer DT770 is bassy and clean, but not head shaking. On the cheaper side the Nuforce HP-800 is a remarkably bassy headphone and goes as deep as my HE-6, but lacks the ability to get super loud.
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/24/14
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/24/14
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/24/14
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by nightmancometh, 11/24/14
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BA$$ - Own AH-D2000, on to Ultrasone Pro 900 & HFI-580 Last post on 12/15/12 at 8:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for dubstep headphones Last post on 1/5/13 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
I received by LG for review purposes. Here are my thoughts are 6 weeks. Aesthetics. The unique ‘on-neck horse-shoe’ design is inconspicuous sits neatly and discreetly around the neck line....
Signature Acoustics C-12: The Elemental Underdog Woodies Company Background Audiophiles love music, especially when played from high quality audio products that contain several different...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank SoundMagic for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. If you live in US, they are currently available at a...
*A sample of the IEM500 was provided to me in return for my honest review* - Photos taken by, me.- One of the funniest things is when a company writes all these outlandish claims with their...
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the...
Are there any headphones that feel like subwoofers? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Did you ever heard LCD-2 with a good amp?
Slam, accuracy, deeeeeeeeeeep and that without messing all other frequencies. Absolutely fantastic reference bass. Arguabely the best bass of all headphones tonally.
I absolutely adore mine with a Bryston BHA-1.
BTW I have a 12 Eclipse aluminium serie sub in a sealed box coupled with a JL Audio 500/1 in my car. Nice tight impactfull bass.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. The solid frame and weight means it will transfer more of the acoustic energy directly to your ear. It may lack some of that mechanical vibration, but the rumble generated by the pressure will make up for that.
A big sub vibrates your bones. You aren't going to get that with headphones. You'll get past it - you can get some very well controlled and detailed headphones in the sub 200hz region. Just no vibrating bones.
I agree. I have a pair of D7000s and my stereo setup with a SVS subwoofer destroys it for bass response.
I must say the AKG K518 and now the K618 also really recreate that rumble. Although comfort wise I would not recommend them for home listening, or as a replacement of full size Ultrasone's.
I've been around multiple bassheads, and when it comes to headphones, this is what they usually want-- the mechanical vibration. No doubt lcd2 has the ability to sound the loudest in sub-bass out of any headphone if EQ'd. Heck, it can take 15 watts of power, so the possibilities are endless, but it's not going to sit there and vibrate on your head without you losing your hearing first.
Basically what was already said.
sub = 12 inches
headphones = 50mm
You need to move lots of air to have your body resonate along with the bass. Headphones only move enough air to apply some pressure in the small chamber of your ear, only your ear will feel a slight pressure. If you want your head to vibrate, you need headphones with actual vibrators in them, or a headphone with a frame so fragile that it vibrates itself (beats)
I actually Lol'd at this. So true :]
- Are there any headphones that feel like subwoofers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 17 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Mr Speakers Ether 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Replacement for AIAIAI TMA-1 2 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 2 minutes ago
- › I need help in regards to gaming sound. 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › LG Electronics TONE INFINIM Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail... by lwbanerjee
- › Signature Acoustics Elements Series C-12 by vlenbo
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by twister6
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › iClever® IC-BTH01 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Sports... by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)