You will never get that subwoofer feeling with headphones, although some of the big orthos will come close. The LCD2 is probably the best in that regards, or perhaps the HE-400. In cheaper fare, the Ultrasone Pro750/900 are up there, as well as the Audio Technica Pro700mk2 (aka Denon HP1000). The Beyer DT770 is bassy and clean, but not head shaking. On the cheaper side the Nuforce HP-800 is a remarkably bassy headphone and goes as deep as my HE-6, but lacks the ability to get super loud.
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/24/14
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/24/14
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/24/14
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by nightmancometh, 11/24/14
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BA$$ - Own AH-D2000, on to Ultrasone Pro 900 & HFI-580 Last post on 12/15/12 at 8:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for dubstep headphones Last post on 1/5/13 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
This is a wonderful little tube amplifier for the price. I paid only $59 for the amp and it was in perfect condition with a new Electro-Harmonix 6922 tube. The tube itself runs about $15, so the...
INTRODUCTION Altone250 U.S. Tour Being an Altone200 fan, I was quite excited to hear that T-PEOS was updating their IEM lineup with a new Altone series based on feedback received from the H300...
Intro (Kind of) The Westone W30 is one of several IEMs in Westone's newly revamped universal IEM collection, intended as a removable-cable replacement to the older W3. For those of you who are...
I picked these beautiful-looking babies on amazon few days ago when price dropped on amazon (used ones from amazon warehouse for $400), which was a bargain; compared to $300 price tag on HD650's....
Are there any headphones that feel like subwoofers? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Did you ever heard LCD-2 with a good amp?
Slam, accuracy, deeeeeeeeeeep and that without messing all other frequencies. Absolutely fantastic reference bass. Arguabely the best bass of all headphones tonally.
I absolutely adore mine with a Bryston BHA-1.
BTW I have a 12 Eclipse aluminium serie sub in a sealed box coupled with a JL Audio 500/1 in my car. Nice tight impactfull bass.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. The solid frame and weight means it will transfer more of the acoustic energy directly to your ear. It may lack some of that mechanical vibration, but the rumble generated by the pressure will make up for that.
A big sub vibrates your bones. You aren't going to get that with headphones. You'll get past it - you can get some very well controlled and detailed headphones in the sub 200hz region. Just no vibrating bones.
I agree. I have a pair of D7000s and my stereo setup with a SVS subwoofer destroys it for bass response.
I must say the AKG K518 and now the K618 also really recreate that rumble. Although comfort wise I would not recommend them for home listening, or as a replacement of full size Ultrasone's.
I've been around multiple bassheads, and when it comes to headphones, this is what they usually want-- the mechanical vibration. No doubt lcd2 has the ability to sound the loudest in sub-bass out of any headphone if EQ'd. Heck, it can take 15 watts of power, so the possibilities are endless, but it's not going to sit there and vibrate on your head without you losing your hearing first.
Basically what was already said.
sub = 12 inches
headphones = 50mm
You need to move lots of air to have your body resonate along with the bass. Headphones only move enough air to apply some pressure in the small chamber of your ear, only your ear will feel a slight pressure. If you want your head to vibrate, you need headphones with actual vibrators in them, or a headphone with a frame so fragile that it vibrates itself (beats)
I actually Lol'd at this. So true :]
- Are there any headphones that feel like subwoofers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › VSonic VSD5 Impressions/Appreciation Thread. VSonic's answer to... 8 seconds ago
- › HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity – it’s... 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 2 minutes ago
- › How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones? 5 minutes ago
- › Possible to bring mids forward on TH900? 6 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 6 minutes ago
- › powering Beyerdynamic DT 990, 600ohm 6 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 7 minutes ago
- › AUDIOTRAK Prodigy CUBE External USB Sound Card by YoYo JoKeR
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V3 by sarora
- › T-Peos Altone250 by nmatheis
- › Westone W30 Triple Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones,... by C.C.S.
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by KopaZ
- › Tennmak Sennheiser HD600/650 Short Cable by bikerboy94
- › Original Xiaomi Piston III Youth Edition Earphone Earbuds Headset... by leoscarax
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2