or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread - Page 215

Poll Results: Which one would you order??

 
  • 73% (274)
    Carbo Tenore
  • 26% (97)
    Carbo Basso
371 Total Votes  
post #3211 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

Well so much for quality control of the ostry too. I ordered a new pair from an amazon seller with great rating (sorry sfwalcer I can't give up any tenores!).

 

Anyway, the bass on the ostry's is different and the jack is bent. Brand new, sealed well in a nice presentation. My kc06 also has a different bag than the one I have on loan. Not sure what that means? A revision perhaps? The model I have has less bass and ironically sounds a lot more like the tenore. Anyway, what the heck? Is it impossible to buy a japanese iem, who are known for quality, and get something consistent? Maybe their cheap iems have less quality control than our cheap iems? lol I don't know. I'd keep these as the sounds is even better than the pair I'm testing, but the bent connector worries me. They still work, but I don't want it putting pressure on my jacks....

 

Ostry is a Chinese brand. As for bass differences, maybe the new driver needs to flex a little, give it a few more working hours and compare again. I had similar issues with multiple mh1c pairs but after a couple of days of use they all settled to the same exact bass.

post #3212 of 5962
Are there any batch numbers on the packing that might show a pattern ?
post #3213 of 5962
I just taped the vents on my bassiest set. It removes the rise in sub bass and sounds very close to to my 'reference' set. I'm going to leave it on for a few days and see if it affects the driver's back pressure. If the stress relief is that leaky, it may be ok.

Edit: I should say it cuts the rise in sub bass, not completely remove it. But it does move it in the right direction.
Edited by shotgunshane - 6/27/14 at 5:22pm
post #3214 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I just taped the vents on my bassiest set. It removes the rise in sub bass and sounds very close to to my 'reference' set. I'm going to leave it on for a few days and see if it affects the driver's back pressure. If the stress relief is that leaky, it may be ok.

Edit: I should say it cuts the rise in sub bass, not completely remove it. But it does move it in the right direction.
Maybe your set was bassier to begin with? How did you tape them? What tape?
post #3215 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Maybe your set was bassier to begin with? How did you tape them? What tape?

This pair was my bassiest. Maybe 4db's more. I used black electrical tape. I think tomorrow I will super glue the strain reliefs , then put a pinhole in the tape.
post #3216 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Maybe your set was bassier to begin with? How did you tape them? What tape?

This pair was my bassiest. Maybe 4db's more. I used black electrical tape. I think tomorrow I will super glue the strain reliefs , then put a pinhole in the tape.
I'll try electrical tape. Maybe it's thicker/more dense...
post #3217 of 5962
So here's where my mind is going with what's been transpiring, and I think it makes logical sense.

Since it seems that for bassier sets, covering the vents brings it closer to the "reference" sets, and reference sets not really being affected by covering the vent, it would imply that the bassier version was the intended tuning. Specifically, why design it with a vent that affects the tuning of the low end if the intended tuning is allowing zero airflow out of that vent.

The only thing that I could think of that would lead toward the "reference" pair being intended is if they decided to retune it and found it cheaper to seal the vent rather than make shells with no vent. But this is slightly undermined by the shell supposedly being aluminum, whereby the vent is likely drilled at little to no extra cost rather than having to remake an injection mold for plastic which would be an order more expensive and would make this scenario plausible.
post #3218 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

So here's where my mind is going with what's been transpiring, and I think it makes logical sense.

Since it seems that for bassier sets, covering the vents brings it closer to the "reference" sets, and reference sets not really being affected by covering the vent, it would imply that the bassier version was the intended tuning. Specifically, why design it with a vent that affects the tuning of the low end if the intended tuning is allowing zero airflow out of that vent.

The only thing that I could think of that would lead toward the "reference" pair being intended is if they decided to retune it and found it cheaper to seal the vent rather than make shells with no vent. But this is slightly undermined by the shell supposedly being aluminum, whereby the vent is likely drilled at little to no extra cost rather than having to remake an injection mold for plastic which would be an order more expensive and would make this scenario plausible.

 

Perhaps, although the reference bass level sounds intended. I know some might say "how can you know what it's supposed to sound like, you didn't design it", however, it's like a painting of something real, if it has a strange purple tint you would think the photo was fading and not the original reference state it was supposed to be in. You could argue that was a stylistic colorization, but if it's a picture of something that is clearly attempting to be very realistic, that would just seem "off". O.k. strange example, but with the tenore, the frequencies above say, 400-500hz are practically identical to the er4s relatively speaking vs other IEMs. That level of treble accuracy seems really odd if the bass was meant to be very boosted. It would be like etymotic saying, man this this is so accurate, but let's give them bass like a beats earphone.

 

So to me, when I hear the supposed "reference" sound, everything sounds "just right" and smooth across the spectrum. When I hear the bass heavy version, even in a small amount, it just sounds like someone didn't like a neutral earphone and added bass with eq that didn't belong there.

 

Alas, this is just all theory and nobody knows but the designer/manufacturer what it's supposed to sound like. The best we can do speculate. However, either way, the reference set sounds great, but it's hard to know if you'll get that sound when you buy one. Even if you like the bassier sound, you wouldn't know if you are going to get that sound either.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiesOfAzel View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

Well so much for quality control of the ostry too. I ordered a new pair from an amazon seller with great rating (sorry sfwalcer I can't give up any tenores!).

 

Anyway, the bass on the ostry's is different and the jack is bent. Brand new, sealed well in a nice presentation. My kc06 also has a different bag than the one I have on loan. Not sure what that means? A revision perhaps? The model I have has less bass and ironically sounds a lot more like the tenore. Anyway, what the heck? Is it impossible to buy a japanese iem, who are known for quality, and get something consistent? Maybe their cheap iems have less quality control than our cheap iems? lol I don't know. I'd keep these as the sounds is even better than the pair I'm testing, but the bent connector worries me. They still work, but I don't want it putting pressure on my jacks....

 

Ostry is a Chinese brand. As for bass differences, maybe the new driver needs to flex a little, give it a few more working hours and compare again. I had similar issues with multiple mh1c pairs but after a couple of days of use they all settled to the same exact bass.

 

I think it was actually the tips straight out of the box were very dry and almost powdery in texture (not literally), so they weren't sealing "as" well as the already poorly sealed worn in tips. :-P Comparing them now they seem identical. At least as far as I can tell. I'm also thinking I'll keep them. I might just use a cable extender "just" in case the connector would possibly harm a jack being bent slightly (it's not too bent, but still worries me)...

post #3219 of 5962
Covering a vent on a dynamic driver is going to affect bass (and soundstage) regardless of tuning. Might be slight, might be a lot but it's going to happen. So I don't think we can make an assumption on tuning unfortunately.

@luisent, makes sense on the Ostry tips. Although I found them bassier than the Tenore's overall regardless- variants included due to mid bass. In comparison, my re400 is more neutral.
Edited by shotgunshane - 6/27/14 at 8:12pm
post #3220 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

So here's where my mind is going with what's been transpiring, and I think it makes logical sense.

Since it seems that for bassier sets, covering the vents brings it closer to the "reference" sets, and reference sets not really being affected by covering the vent, it would imply that the bassier version was the intended tuning. Specifically, why design it with a vent that affects the tuning of the low end if the intended tuning is allowing zero airflow out of that vent.

 

^ Good thinking!

 

Also, I'd recommend to try Blu-Tack before bringing out the superglue, as it's easier to undo if you don't like the result. ;) 

post #3221 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Covering a vent on a dynamic driver is going to affect bass (and soundstage) regardless of tuning. Might be slight, might be a lot but it's going to happen. So I don't think we can make an assumption on tuning unfortunately.

@luisent, makes sense on the Ostry tips. Although I found them bassier than the Tenore's overall regardless- variants included due to mid bass. In comparison, my re400 is more neutral.

 

Interesting I heard absolutely no change in my superglued pair when I scotch taped the vents. And I had the tape fully adhered. I'll try electrical tape now.

post #3222 of 5962

O.k. With electrical tape I'm pretty sure there is a small change in overall bass response. Not sure why the scotch tape would be any different. It's thinner, yes, but I would think it would keep the air in the same... It seems possibly 1.5db lower or so now though. It still isn't as light as my lighter pair. Not sure if that means perhaps the bass light pairs are the problem? Maybe there is something blocking the vents internally or something?


Edited by luisdent - 6/27/14 at 9:33pm
post #3223 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

For this reason alone I think the ostry kicks butt. However, being so used to earphones that have some isolation and seal to them, the ostry almost always feel "wrong" because they seem like they aren't sealing good. But that's just the design. No tips or effort whatsoever allows them to seal better by any reasonable margin. But if you are in a quiet environment and get used to the feel of them this isn't a problem at all. In a loud environment, they still don't sound the best with isolation as you hear outside noises, but the bass does well and almost sounds more reference as it is slightly masked by ambient noise.

My solution is to wear them under earmuffs. Works like a charm! At least when I'm cutting the lawn :-)
post #3224 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

For this reason alone I think the ostry kicks butt. However, being so used to earphones that have some isolation and seal to them, the ostry almost always feel "wrong" because they seem like they aren't sealing good. But that's just the design. No tips or effort whatsoever allows them to seal better by any reasonable margin. But if you are in a quiet environment and get used to the feel of them this isn't a problem at all. In a loud environment, they still don't sound the best with isolation as you hear outside noises, but the bass does well and almost sounds more reference as it is slightly masked by ambient noise.

My solution is to wear them under earmuffs. Works like a charm! At least when I'm cutting the lawn :-)

 

I wear all my earphone under earmuffs at home. Well, under gun protection earmuffs to be exact. No joke. My A/C is so freaking loud I couldn't hear myself think.

 

 

They isolate the $h1t out of every earphone. I love it. And the pink color makes everything sound "hotter". ;)

post #3225 of 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

I wear all my earphone under earmuffs at home. Well, under gun protection earmuffs to be exact. No joke. My A/C is so freaking loud I couldn't hear myself think.

 

 

They isolate the $h1t out of every earphone. I love it. And the pink color makes everything sound "hotter". ;)

:p 


Edited by SilverEars - 6/27/14 at 9:57pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread