Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread - Page 178

Poll Results: Which one would you order??

 
  • 74% (284)
    Carbo Tenore
  • 25% (99)
    Carbo Basso
383 Total Votes  
post #2656 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Is it just me, or is the Tenore basically an Etymotic, minus the annoying 2k spike, plus a soundstage and actual bass?
Pretty much my thoughts. :-P
post #2657 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Ok, time domain or not, I think I've finally been able to put my finger on what's bugging me. My pair sounds every inch as vwinter describes his, steady rise into the subbass, much like the ie800 (just a little less pronounced) and no noteworthy warmth from mid/upper bass.

Anyone interested, please listen to the track below. If your pair is tuned like mine, drums will sound off-timbre, hollow and lacking body on the Tenores. I've been listening to this track with a whole bunch of other IEMs (UERM, K3003, Heaven A, M200, GR10, KC06) and every single one of them renders these drums more natural to my ears. Heck, even the IE800, which has more subbass boost, doesn't sound as odd as the Tenores with this track.

(Disclaimer: this is a personal impression of my unit, yours may be differently tuned and ymmv)




P.S. on a whim, I decided to try the front vent mod I've come to love on the FX850. And sure enough, these drums sound noticeably better with it (haven't tested yet how it might affect other frequencies).

I'll have to try the mod. I accomplish something similar with a bit of EQ, but I'm fine listening to it without the EQ. It's more about describing what I perceive as pro's and con's to the sound. There are a lot of pro's on this one, but I feel it would be doing the community a disservice to ignore the cons.

Thats a brutal track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Forgot to add that, apart from the above issue, the Tenores have actually been growing on me overall. Just saying, so people don't get the wrong impression. wink.gif  

Haha, yea I think people perceive me to be negative on them but it's really just the opposite. Little slights on what is otherwise a great phone and one of my favorite recent IEMs. I'd probably take it over the Ostry for my preferences but they are both great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post

OK I've tried that on my Tenore and compared it to the following IEM: KC06, Heaven V, ASG-2, XBA-3, X10 & GR07.

I found that the Tenore & KC06 bass was sounding very similar and yes their timbre was of higher pitch (if I can say that) and impact was less compare to my other IEM.

The Heaven V is my favorite with that song (very good track by the way. Thank you) The bass is so organic and I was actually surprise that it hit harder then my ASG-2.

The Heaven V has a ridiculously natural tuning. It'll always have a place in my rotation.
It rarely disappoints and makes tuning compromises I can agree with and get past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Btw, I'm in the initial stages of A/B'ing the Tenore with the FX850 and the XBA-H3.

I prefer the Tenore.

This is a masterfully tuned phone. I just wish the Ostry was around for me to compare too.

Any specific reason those two are up for comparison to the Tenore?

You do like your subbass emphasis biggrin.gif

But, would you give up IE800 mids for the Tenore tuning? very_evil_smiley.gif
Edited by vwinter - 6/12/14 at 8:13pm
post #2658 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

This new set has none of those issues. So far it sounds perfect. Less midbass than my bassy Tenore, and more bass and slightly less treble than my non-bassy Tenore. The Goldilocks pair! Was it worth buying six pairs and paying all that shipping? I think so. If I get channel imbalance again though I'm definitely giving up forever.

 

Have you been using your new pair regularly? No channel imbalance issues with your new pair? I'm not sure whether to believe it's a defect perhaps as a result of poor quality control or if it's just that some of us have ears that are more prone to causing channel imbalance in dynamic driver IEMs, and inevitably will always have issues with the Tenore.

post #2659 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post

Have you been using your new pair regularly? No channel imbalance issues with your new pair? I'm not sure whether to believe it's a defect perhaps as a result of poor quality control or if it's just that some of us have ears that are more prone to causing channel imbalance in dynamic driver IEMs, and inevitably will always have issues with the Tenore.

I've used it for probably 20-30 hours so far and no channel imbalance at all so far. It had already happened at this point with my previous pair, So I'm hoping that I'm past the risk period.
post #2660 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

The Tenore is better!!! 

 

I've been "forced" to listen to my KC06's quite a bit since returning my Tenore's for exchange, and without having the Tenore's here to directly compare, I can safely say that the KC06's are better lol! That may change once I get my new (and hopefully non-fluctuating) Tenore's back of course. But for now that's my story and I'm sticking to it lol. Seriously, the KC06's are pretty damned nice. But yes, so are the Tenores :D  


Edited by waynes world - 6/12/14 at 9:25pm
post #2661 of 5992

For what it's worth, my channel imbalance issue pops up more frequently when I'm using wide bore tips. The stock tips seem less prone to causing it, but unfortunately I prefer the sound with wide bore tips (either double flanges or Panasonic RP-HJE150 single flanges). The Panasonic RP-HJE150 is just a $7 cheapie I threw in with my Tenore order that doesn't sound particularly special but it turns out the tips fit the Tenore perfectly. The bores are basically the same diameter as the nozzle but they snap on securely without need for spacers. The three sizes that Panasonic include are pretty small, however (the largest are roughly the same size as the Tenore's stock medium tips).


Edited by PeterDLai - 6/12/14 at 9:18pm
post #2662 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
 

Btw, I'm in the initial stages of A/B'ing the Tenore with the FX850 and the XBA-H3.

 

I prefer the Tenore.

 

This is a masterfully tuned phone. I just wish the Ostry was around for me to compare too.

 

So how about the ASG-2? :evil:

post #2663 of 5992

UE900 tips fit really well, and they have the same diameter bores as the nozzle too.  But I ended up going back to the original tips since I feel they produce more sub-bass.  I actually been A/B Tenores and RE400B (balanced wired) driving Tenore from AP100 and RE400B from HM700, then driving Tenore from HM700 as well.  RE400B sounds a bit warmer, slightly more roll off in treble, but otherwise when it comes to mids they are a good match with Tenores.  Also, Tenores have more soundstage depth in comparison to RE400B, though both have similar width.  Again, keep in mind, that wasn't comparison with original RE400, but rather balanced wired version.

post #2664 of 5992

I got a hold of two more sets of tenores. I must have been a lucky man getting four reference sets myself. One of the new sets is drastically different in bass response. More details to come. Need to do more listening. Needless to say, all the conversation about whether they're warm or tight or this or that might completely be inconsistent if you have a set as varied as one that I got to compare.

 

Not that the comparison are irrelevant, but I can absolutely see why one person would think they're very warm and one think they're neutral to the bone. So just keep that in mind. One person's tenore might not sound like yours in the bass region. As far as I can tell all 6 sets I have are almost identical in the mids and treble though. but 400hz down is where i'm noticing the change.

post #2665 of 5992
^ Kinda suspected this, hence my disclaimer.
post #2666 of 5992

Mine has no channel imbalance and driver flex problem. I find that the only way I can get the best sound out of my Tenore is by very shallow insertion using the stock medium tips By that I mean really shallow insertion...even shallower than the Phonaks...because moving it just slightly inside makes the sound change quite drastically. It's like I have to find the sweet spot every time I'm inserting the Tenore into my ears. Deep insertion completely destroys the sound. Anybody experiencing this? Hmm...I certainly will take the 400Hz down difference in one of Luisdent's Tenore into consideration too.


Edited by Francisk - 6/12/14 at 10:56pm
post #2667 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Ok, time domain or not, I think I've finally been able to put my finger on what's bugging me. My pair sounds every inch as vwinter describes his, steady rise into the subbass, much like the ie800 (just a little less pronounced) and no noteworthy warmth from mid/upper bass.

Anyone interested, please listen to the track below. If your pair is tuned like mine, drums will sound off-timbre, hollow and lacking body on the Tenores. I've been listening to this track with a whole bunch of other IEMs (UERM, K3003, Heaven A, M200, GR10, KC06) and every single one of them renders these drums more natural to my ears. Heck, even the IE800, which has more subbass boost, doesn't sound as odd as the Tenores with this track.

(Disclaimer: this is a personal impression of my unit, yours may be differently tuned and ymmv)




P.S. on a whim, I decided to try the front vent mod I've come to love on the FX850. And sure enough, these drums sound noticeably better with it (haven't tested yet how it might affect other frequencies).
No issues on my set. The bass is full bodied and the bass guitar sounds amazing. The subbass is almost visceral, I can feel it not just hear it.
I have to say that under 150 hours in conjunction with different tips I experienced hollow sound and offset timings, I couldn't use Sony hybrids because of that, but after that moment the bass got full body and all the issues went away. I still think those babies need burn in and they change for the better after some time.
post #2668 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisk View Post
 

Mine has no channel imbalance and driver flex problem. I find that the only way I can get the best sound out of my Tenore is by very shallow insertion using the stock medium tips By that I mean really shallow insertion...even shallower than the Phonaks...because moving it just slightly inside makes the sound change quite drastically. It's like I have to find the sweet spot every time I'm inserting the Tenore into my ears. Deep insertion completely destroys the sound. Anybody experiencing this? Hmm...I certainly will take the 400Hz down difference in one of Luisdent's Tenore into consideration too.

I experience this every day I put them on. It's a pain in the ass but it has to be done in order to experience the immense quality that these provide.

 

What's been working for me is a shallow insertion using the medium black/red TF10 tips from Lunashops.  I point them towards the top middle of my head and insert them diagonally upwards as loosely as possible.  I also do this with the relief strain pointed outwards and away so that the cable falls about an inch away from me.  I find these phones have pretty bad cable microphonics so I need the cable to be as far away from me as possible.  Of course, there's a fair bit of risk of wearing them this way because it is constantly pushing against the already weaksauce relief strain. 

 

Over-the-ear is also an option, but you need to have a small torso to pull it off.  Or carry your player in your breast pocket.  I find the cable isn't quite long enough to wear comfortably for over-the-ear + carrying your player in your pants pocket. 

post #2669 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrian View Post

I experience this every day I put them on. It's a pain in the ass but it has to be done in order to experience the immense quality that these provide.

Over-the-ear is also an option, but you need to have a small torso to pull it off.  Or carry your player in your breast pocket.  I find the cable isn't quite long enough to wear comfortably for over-the-ear + carrying your player in your pants pocket. 

Small torso? The cable is 50" from housing to bend of RA connector. I'd have to guess you're taller than average.
post #2670 of 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisk View Post
 

Mine has no channel imbalance and driver flex problem. I find that the only way I can get the best sound out of my Tenore is by very shallow insertion using the stock medium tips By that I mean really shallow insertion...even shallower than the Phonaks...because moving it just slightly inside makes the sound change quite drastically. It's like I have to find the sweet spot every time I'm inserting the Tenore into my ears. Deep insertion completely destroys the sound. Anybody experiencing this? Hmm...I certainly will take the 400Hz down difference in one of Luisdent's Tenore into consideration too.

 

You may have got one of the subbass-enhanced pairs.

 

Try the mod I linked above, it ensures a small amount of leakage. Similar to a shallow fit, but without the hassle of having to search for the sweet spot.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread