Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) - Information, Appreciation and Impressions thread!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) - Information,... - Page 281

Poll Results: Which one would you order??

 
  • 70% (147)
    Carbo Tenore
  • 30% (63)
    Carbo Basso
210 Total Votes  
post #4201 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

 
I agree about that, but for me it isn't a "vented" seal that fixes it, it's a shallow gentle fit. But no air can be leaking or it sounds completely off to me. This might vary for different people though. I personally feel that if you need to create a vented ear tip and really finagle with the fit then that isn't a great earphone. I'm not saying I don't do things like that to get great sound. Great sound is what matters most to me. However, it makes me think less of an iem if the best sound can't be achieved by simply using them as intended.

No prob, if it doesn't work for you, simply let it be... just saying front and back venting is a common way to tune DD based IEMs, nothing wrong about that.

As for the bolded part, well it's a fact that people have different preferences, listening habits and HRTFs. How about all the filter swapping and EQing posts in the ER4S thread, does that make them lesser IEMs? wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by oMalakai View Post

 
Well, now that you say it, it's not exactly a seal where air is leaking, but if I push them a bit further than the "sweet zone", the air pressure, and the vacuum on my ears feels reeeally uncomfortable and even painful, asides from the mediocre sound. Whatever, at least with the "vent mod" I just push them firmly on my ears, and it's done. No more annoying vaccuum.


I've learned that air pressure and a vacuum seal can be a big issue for some people, ranging from annoying to painful. I personally don't have this problem, but for me, if the ear canal's air pressure is exactly equal to the outside, perceived transparency is enhanced and soundstage gains a nice open feel.
Regarding filters for the er4s, that's nothing like vent modding. You are using a makeshift vent to release pressure. The effects of this could vary drastically between users, materials, tips, etc. simply put, the earphones weren't designed to do this mod. But if it works, by all means do it.

The er4s "was" designed to use filters and those filters are permanent replaceable parts that are consistent and even sold by the company.

So i would say you can't compare those things really. Not to say the er4s isn't flawed in some areas, or that people don't mod them. My point was just that i think it's fine to do these mods, and i'm not discouraging anyone from trying them. I was just implying that it isn't an especially good product if an unsupported mod is required to make the sound good. Not just sound better, but from what we can tell... Sound good. Usually the mod reduces bass. If the bass variances didn't exist, most people wouldn't need a mod. That's the fault of quality control.

I liken it to something like a new computer with a broken cd drive. If you can tape the cd-drive shut to get it to work then who cares?... Well, realistically i don't know many people that wouldn't return a computer with a messed cd drive. So why should the tenore be any different?

In the real world it is probably because not many othet affordable iems sound so good. So people are willing to "tape the cd drive shut" to get it working, since the cds rip so incredibly fast or something... :-P

Anyway, point being, they sound great. Mod them if you need to. But it doesn't excuse the need for a mod like that. :-o that was all i meant.

I love modding things to improve them. But it's one thing to shape the sound with a mode. It's another to mod something to fix a problem that shouldn't be there. But i guess you could argue whether it would be necessary for someone to do even if they had a neutral set. At that point i'd say do what you need to if you like them. I was just speaking from the viewpoint that people were bringing the bass back down in bass heavy sets.
Edited by luisdent - 8/22/14 at 8:20am
post #4202 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by oMalakai View Post
 

 

 

I didn't like how it sounded with the Hybrids. Sounded dull and highs lose their sparkle, and soundstage was smaller. Using the stock ones with the vent mod now...I think that you just should try what fits you better, or what sounds better to you. IMO, the stock tips aren't bad.

I had the same experience with the Sony Hybrids.

post #4203 of 4483

just got mine. not sure what i think yet. not entirely blown away yet. first thing i've noticed compared to my re-400's is that i have to turn the volume way up comparatively through my hrt microstreamer connected to my laptop. tonality is very good as said, but the low-end is a little disappointing so far. i'll try the larger tips with a shallow insertion.

post #4204 of 4483
Anyone buying or loving the Tenore for its relative neutrality needs to check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726569/review-tour-somic-mh412-viper4android-the-put-up-or-shut-up-review-and-tour

After applying Joe's eq to the Somic MH412, a supposedly $10 iem when released, it surpasses the best of the Tenore's. Again, this is with EQ. Without eq the iem is a typical boomy consumer sound but with pretty great build quality. After Joe's EQ, it's simply brilliant. Truly top tier sound IMO.
post #4205 of 4483

switching to the larger tips with shallower insertion helped a lot. listening now with my brand new dx90 and this is great. should hold me over nicely until i get my rockets.

post #4206 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Anyone buying or loving the Tenore for its relative neutrality needs to check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726569/review-tour-somic-mh412-viper4android-the-put-up-or-shut-up-review-and-tour

After applying Joe's eq to the Somic MH412, a supposedly $10 iem when released, it surpasses the best of the Tenore's. Again, this is with EQ. Without eq the iem is a typical boomy consumer sound but with pretty great build quality. After Joe's EQ, it's simply brilliant. Truly top tier sound IMO.

 

Yeah, i have been following this thread from the start and it gets better and better. I am not a fan of eq, but i will give the Somic a shot when it's released. I am also waiting for the Rocket to be released.

post #4207 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Anyone buying or loving the Tenore for its relative neutrality needs to check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726569/review-tour-somic-mh412-viper4android-the-put-up-or-shut-up-review-and-tour

After applying Joe's eq to the Somic MH412, a supposedly $10 iem when released, it surpasses the best of the Tenore's. Again, this is with EQ. Without eq the iem is a typical boomy consumer sound but with pretty great build quality. After Joe's EQ, it's simply brilliant. Truly top tier sound IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiesOfAzel View Post

Yeah, i have been following this thread from the start and it gets better and better. I am not a fan of eq, but i will give the Somic a shot when it's released. I am also waiting for the Rocket to be released.

Im surprised you guys arent helping the havi b3 pro thread. That one should definitely appeal to consumers who love a natural tonality as their sig.
post #4208 of 4483
I didn't think much of the havi b3 old version. It was pretty odd sounding and off putting to me.
post #4209 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post



Im surprised you guys arent helping the havi b3 pro thread. That one should definitely appeal to consumers who love a natural tonality as their sig.

 

I think the B3 Pro I shoots way above the Tenore (and the Tenore is pretty decent). 

post #4210 of 4483

I'm a bit sad now. Can't complain about anything on the Tenores, but for some reason they don't give me joy as much as my previous Brainwavz M3. I can't tell what it is, tho.

post #4211 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiesOfAzel View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Anyone buying or loving the Tenore for its relative neutrality needs to check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726569/review-tour-somic-mh412-viper4android-the-put-up-or-shut-up-review-and-tour

After applying Joe's eq to the Somic MH412, a supposedly $10 iem when released, it surpasses the best of the Tenore's. Again, this is with EQ. Without eq the iem is a typical boomy consumer sound but with pretty great build quality. After Joe's EQ, it's simply brilliant. Truly top tier sound IMO.

 

Yeah, i have been following this thread from the start and it gets better and better. I am not a fan of eq, but i will give the Somic a shot when it's released. I am also waiting for the Rocket to be released.

 

I have my ex85lp sounding better than the tenore with eq. Also eq'd hte pfe112 pretty darn good. But I hate using eq. I still do when available, but man it's nice to have a no-eq earphone.

 

I firmly believe "most" earphones that are reasonably capable drivers can sound as reference as the tenore with eq. However, the problem lies in the ability to generate the eq. The earphones I've eq'd, I've done by using a graph as a guide. I'm pretty confident I can get most of the way there by ear, however, the worse the earphone, usually the more dips and peaks. It can be surprisingly difficult to isolate and rectify them all. Something like the er4s, pfe112, etc. have a fairly small number of dips/peaks, so they can be isolated pretty easily.

 

Anyway, I'm rambling... But I definitely believe it is possible to eq an earphone to perfection, or close to it, assuming you have the ear and tools. But once you plug it into another device you're screwed. :-P

post #4212 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

I have my ex85lp sounding better than the tenore with eq. Also eq'd hte pfe112 pretty darn good. But I hate using eq. I still do when available, but man it's nice to have a no-eq earphone.

I firmly believe "most" earphones that are reasonably capable drivers can sound as reference as the tenore with eq. However, the problem lies in the ability to generate the eq. The earphones I've eq'd, I've done by using a graph as a guide. I'm pretty confident I can get most of the way there by ear, however, the worse the earphone, usually the more dips and peaks. It can be surprisingly difficult to isolate and rectify them all. Something like the er4s, pfe112, etc. have a fairly small number of dips/peaks, so they can be isolated pretty easily.

Anyway, I'm rambling... But I definitely believe it is possible to eq an earphone to perfection, or close to it, assuming you have the ear and tools. But once you plug it into another device you're screwed. :-P

Yes, there's a lot of magic (compensation) EQ can do but I'd rather have a good stock sound straight off my phones because I plug them into many devices.....and.....all EQs have their own sound characteristic to begin with.
post #4213 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Anyone buying or loving the Tenore for its relative neutrality needs to check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726569/review-tour-somic-mh412-viper4android-the-put-up-or-shut-up-review-and-tour

After applying Joe's eq to the Somic MH412, a supposedly $10 iem when released, it surpasses the best of the Tenore's. Again, this is with EQ. Without eq the iem is a typical boomy consumer sound but with pretty great build quality. After Joe's EQ, it's simply brilliant. Truly top tier sound IMO.

Thanks for pointing that thread out. Great thread and great initial post @james444! I haven't made my way through all of the posts yet, but so far I have come away very intrigued by the MH412/EQ combo, and also somewhat proud of my KC06's smily_headphones1.gif
post #4214 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisk View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

I have my ex85lp sounding better than the tenore with eq. Also eq'd hte pfe112 pretty darn good. But I hate using eq. I still do when available, but man it's nice to have a no-eq earphone.

I firmly believe "most" earphones that are reasonably capable drivers can sound as reference as the tenore with eq. However, the problem lies in the ability to generate the eq. The earphones I've eq'd, I've done by using a graph as a guide. I'm pretty confident I can get most of the way there by ear, however, the worse the earphone, usually the more dips and peaks. It can be surprisingly difficult to isolate and rectify them all. Something like the er4s, pfe112, etc. have a fairly small number of dips/peaks, so they can be isolated pretty easily.

Anyway, I'm rambling... But I definitely believe it is possible to eq an earphone to perfection, or close to it, assuming you have the ear and tools. But once you plug it into another device you're screwed. :-P

Yes, there's a lot of magic (compensation) EQ can do but I'd rather have a good stock sound straight off my phones because I plug them into many devices.....and.....all EQs have their own sound characteristic to begin with.

 

A well programmed parametric eq should sound identical with the same settings. I've verified this across many devices with my a/b switch.

 

However,  you are very correct. There are a LOT of eq apps out there. Some mimick vintage physical eqs, some use proprietary algorithms, features, etc. And some simply adjust sound differently based on the values/curves. So you need to know what you're doing with some of them...

post #4215 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post



Im surprised you guys arent helping the havi b3 pro thread. That one should definitely appeal to consumers who love a natural tonality as their sig.

 

 

Well, i always end up picking something else instead of the Havi. I was toying with the idea of getting one but then i discovered the XE800 which is a retuned GR07. Since i love the diaphragm of the GR07 but i have issues with the tuning of the treble, i though i should give the Vivo a chance, if the treble is flatter it should be full on win :D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

I have my ex85lp sounding better than the tenore with eq. Also eq'd hte pfe112 pretty darn good. But I hate using eq. I still do when available, but man it's nice to have a no-eq earphone.

 

I firmly believe "most" earphones that are reasonably capable drivers can sound as reference as the tenore with eq. However, the problem lies in the ability to generate the eq. The earphones I've eq'd, I've done by using a graph as a guide. I'm pretty confident I can get most of the way there by ear, however, the worse the earphone, usually the more dips and peaks. It can be surprisingly difficult to isolate and rectify them all. Something like the er4s, pfe112, etc. have a fairly small number of dips/peaks, so they can be isolated pretty easily.

 

Anyway, I'm rambling... But I definitely believe it is possible to eq an earphone to perfection, or close to it, assuming you have the ear and tools. But once you plug it into another device you're screwed. :-P

 

Yeah, i agree, most iems can sound great with a proper eq but it's too much of a hassle when you use multiple iems with multiple sources. And while fr is important, other factors such as distortion can limit the success of the eq.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) - Information, Appreciation and Impressions thread!!