- 11 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productPSB M4U 1tagged by System, 5/22/13
Related Forum Threads
- PSB M4U1 vs. NAD VISO HP50 Last post on Today at 9:54 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help buying $200-$300 Headphone. Last post on 12/20/13 at 5:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for under $350 give or take some. Last post on 12/8/13 at 1:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Do you think I should get one pair of HiFiMan HE-400s, or a pair each of the Sennheiser HD598 AND... Last post on 11/6/13 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Synergy of hifi m8 DAC/AMP and PSB M4U cans Last post on 1/1/14 at 8:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
Desktop Amp/DAC (+ Bass Boost) for PSB M4U1?post #1 of 55/22/13 at 11:56pmThread StarterRecently got a set of PSB M4U1 and now after a amp to improve it.I use a iMac playing flac files via VOX. So I believe my best call is to get not just a amp but also a dac. Dosen't need to be portable so hopefully that should save some money vs portable ones.Went to 'Jaben Audio' in Melbourne, Aus today and tried there 'Hippo CriCri Headphone Amplifier' and with bass boost on realised these headphones sounds even better with more bass. Tried a 'Furutech ADL Cruise Portable Headphone Amplifier & DAC' while sounding good was missing the extra bass I liked from smaller amp. Also tried a Desktop Go-Vibe DAC/Amp sounded good but found the bass boost wasn't as good as the smaller amp.I would say just after a good value for money DAC/Amp to match my headphones but with a really good bass boosting feature. The Hippo comes in a version with a DAC but was after opinions on spending more money.I like the idea of a tube amp and they also look great :) so willing to look into them but not sure what is good or if that is the type of amp i'm after. Budget is flexable just not too sure if it really worth spending too much on a awesome amp to drive a $300 pair of headphones.Let me know what you think or suggest some ideas and i'll do more research into the type/brands of amps.Thanks,Devon
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 55/23/13 at 12:05am
Since your headphones only have a 32Ω impedance, you don't really need a powerful amp to drive them. Most audiophile level amps do not have EQ controls of any kind. If you want something like that then your options are to pick up either a FiiO E17 or E07K (both have built in bass and treble controls) or pick up the Schiit Magni/Modi stack and use a software EQ to increase the low end frequencies.post #3 of 55/23/13 at 4:52amThread Starter
I've tried using the built in software EQ (and yes I understand how to use it) but it just always ends up distorted, will this change with a DAC/Amp? Just a bit cautious hence why the idea of a hardware EQ/bass boost.post #4 of 55/23/13 at 10:44amQuote:
The distortion would most likely go away with a DAC/amp stack. Which EQ software and media player are you using?post #5 of 55/23/13 at 3:09pmThread Starter
Hmmm OK, I guess that makes sense. Just weird that even slight changes in the EQ makes things sounds like ****. Were are the bass boost on the Hippo was different.
Was using the built in EQ in Vox but also had the same results in using the one in Clementine.
I guess if I was to use the software EQ it opens me up to more DAC/Amp's even tubes ones like Aune T1 (Love the look of it!) just a bit nervous if it will fill my bass requirements.
EDIT: Setup to use apple AU Labs & Soundflower and EQ is about 100 times better! So this is looking more and more like a good option. Now to pick between something like the Schiit Magni/Modi stack or the Aune T1
Edited by deviot - 5/23/13 at 6:35pm
- Desktop Amp/DAC (+ Bass Boost) for PSB M4U1?
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Music Game IX 13 seconds ago
- › closed back circumaural cans for edm 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here! 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › PONO - are you really serious??? 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Clip Zip 'Sport' 16Gb ? 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude