Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › My iem just broke and need a replacement...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My iem just broke and need a replacement...

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Previously, I was planning to get Xba 30 to replace my Xba 1. Before I could place an order for it, something happened and I had to use the fund for it to compensate what I need to deal first. I wasn't feeling too unhappy since I still have Xba 1 and just a few hours ago, it get teared into two splits by accident (it was half splitted for quite a few months already). Now, I have nothing but a included-in-box earphone that I could only accept it but not enjoy it.

Well, TL:DR, out of these iem, which of them sounds similar or better than Xba 1? I'll rebuy Xba 1 if none of them are close to it...

I spent a few hours reading review and I get this list, from what I can get from my country, well it's Jaben actually. International online ordering seems to be not my stuff after all, figures.

Here goes the list
-Fisher Audio Tandem
-Hippo Pro One
-Phonak Audeo PFE 012
-Shure SE 215
-TDK BA200

My genre is pretty much all about classical, instrumental, chanting (or operatic), a little bit of pop and electronic (when I'm sleepy or like to cheer myself up), something dark but not bright.

My priority will be
-Separation of instrument + soundstage
-Accuracy and clarity of instrument
-Cold or neutral vocal
-Good isolation (Optional, Xba 1's seems to work great with me)
-A little more bass and sub-bass compared with Xba 1 will be nice.

Got to start from the scratch again...

Thank you!
Edited by Iroaseta - 5/22/13 at 11:20am
post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 
Any help?
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
I can't live without music, someone please help!
post #4 of 11

I think you should give serious consideration to the sony mh1 if you don't mind the flat cable, it is a safe and cheap (~$30 on ebay) option considering you had the xba1 and looking at the xba30. I have briefly heard the xba 1 - 4 at a shop in HK and have the mh1 with me now, I find the mh1 surprising, while the xba series didn't catch my attention and it seems to fit your list quiet well except that it isn't dark.

 

here are a few posts/sites you should look at:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1320#post_8915594

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634193/sony-mh1-r-d-story-and-discussion/180#post_8895199

 

http://www.inearmatters.net/2012/10/review-sony-mh1-best-kept-secret.html

 

You can get some idea of how your list compares here:

http://www.inearmatters.net/2009/01/list_01.html

 

p.s if you do make sure you get the mh1c version that works with normal mp3 players and android phones.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford30 View Post

I think you should give serious consideration to the sony mh1 if you don't mind the flat cable, it is a safe and cheap (~$30 on ebay) option considering you had the xba1 and looking at the xba30. I have briefly heard the xba 1 - 4 at a shop in HK and have the mh1 with me now, I find the mh1 surprising, while the xba series didn't catch my attention and it seems to fit your list quiet well except that it isn't dark.

here are a few posts/sites you should look at:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1320#post_8915594
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634193/sony-mh1-r-d-story-and-discussion/180#post_8895199

http://www.inearmatters.net/2012/10/review-sony-mh1-best-kept-secret.html

You can get some idea of how your list compares here:
http://www.inearmatters.net/2009/01/list_01.html

p.s if you do make sure you get the mh1c version that works with normal mp3 players and android phones.

Talk about coincidence, I was reading it's review not a while ago. I might ask you as well since you own one. From your experience, is the bass too bassy like what they described? I really need great instrument separation and good depth and detail of soundstage due to my nature (beginner home music composer + a few instruments player) to make sure they're precise on what they're on. Although I myself already have studio graded headphones for my need, but a good pair of iem will let me understand a music better since that composing stuff is just a hobby but not a profession of mine. With the fact that I'm not in my mini studio room for a long time for daily basics and my job, iem suits me better in long run. Not really like how my ears are wrapped regardless of comforting.
Only bought for it's leading nature in soundstage and instrument separation.

Thanks!

Edit : I found that it's included in Xperia S? Is it true?
Edited by Iroaseta - 5/22/13 at 10:33pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroaseta View Post


Talk about coincidence, I was reading it's review not a while ago. I might ask you as well since you own one. From your experience, is the bass too bassy like what they described? I really need great instrument separation and good depth and detail of soundstage due to my nature (beginner home music composer + a few instruments player) to make sure they're precise on what they're on. Although I myself already have studio graded headphones for my need, but a good pair of iem will let me understand a music better since that composing stuff is just a hobby but not a profession of mine. With the fact that I'm not in my mini studio room for a long time for daily basics and my job, iem suits me better in long run. Not really like how my ears are wrapped regardless of comforting.
Only bought for it's leading nature in soundstage and instrument separation.

Thanks!

Edit : I found that it's included in Xperia S? Is it true?

It is very bassy. However equalizing away the bass is quite easy to do.

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Equalizer, something I'mfamiliar with.

Well, how is it if compared to TDK BA200?
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroaseta View Post

Equalizer, something I'mfamiliar with.

Well, how is it if compared to TDK BA200?

 

I don't own the TDK, but I own a similar product the Rock-It R-50 (the R50 is more analytical whereas the TDK is slightly warmer) and I own the Sony MH1C. Honestly, the MH1C is a great IEM for $30 but it will not compete with the TDK in overall sound quality... especially micro-detail, midrange/treble and instrument separation. I like the Sonys because the sound never distorts, soundstage size is decent and the bass, while too bassy, goes really low--but overall they are quite dark sounding and veiled, especially compared to most BA-based phones. My other problem with the Sonys is that they require a pretty significant amount of power... don't expect to listen to your music at even slightly louder than normal on your cellphone. 

 

At the end of the day, there really is a reason why the TDK's cost more than the Sonys.

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhima View Post

 

I don't own the TDK, but I own a similar product the Rock-It R-50 (the R50 is more analytical whereas the TDK is slightly warmer) and I own the Sony MH1C. Honestly, the MH1C is a great IEM for $30 but it will not compete with the TDK in overall sound quality... especially micro-detail, midrange/treble and instrument separation. I like the Sonys because the sound never distorts, soundstage size is decent and the bass, while too bassy, goes really low--but overall they are quite dark sounding and veiled, especially compared to most BA-based phones. My other problem with the Sonys is that they require a pretty significant amount of power... don't expect to listen to your music at even slightly louder than normal on your cellphone. 

 

At the end of the day, there really is a reason why the TDK's cost more than the Sonys.

 

From what I can comprehend from your post, MH1C tend to have a better SQ:Price ratio, but TDK is the way to go if it comes to detail, instrument separation and treble?

Ah, well, I'll say what is my top priority for what an iem should give me then.

 

Thanks to my hobby and preferred genres, music separation, width and depth of soundstage and, accuracy and detail of instrument will be my most important requirement. I rarely listen or compose the music with bass, all I need is a sufficient amount and quality of bass to be able to differed from the other instruments.

 

From the review I read so far, I think TDK BA200 will suit my criteria. But then, it's always good to hear someone out who owned the both!

 

Thanks!

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroaseta View Post

 

From what I can comprehend from your post, MH1C tend to have a better SQ:Price ratio, but TDK is the way to go if it comes to detail, instrument separation and treble?

Ah, well, I'll say what is my top priority for what an iem should give me then.

 

Thanks to my hobby and preferred genres, music separation, width and depth of soundstage and, accuracy and detail of instrument will be my most important requirement. I rarely listen or compose the music with bass, all I need is a sufficient amount and quality of bass to be able to differed from the other instruments.

 

From the review I read so far, I think TDK BA200 will suit my criteria. But then, it's always good to hear someone out who owned the both!

 

Thanks!

 

I would agree that the MH1C lacks in the micro detail department, I would say they have excellent bass impact compared to other iems at the same level, from memory the xba1 has more bass but not so much impact, I think this is why I got a surprise from the MH1C and the fact that he mid and high frequencies don't fall behind.

 

I also don't find the MH1C dark, but they do need quiet a bit of power to bring the details out, I only notice the veil after side by side listens to my W4r.

 

It is true that the MH1 was designed for sony phones, hence the 2 different versions for the different older and newer mic implementation.

 

It all depends on you, personally I would give the mh1c a go first since they are so cheap and upgrade if you are not happy.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford30 View Post

I would agree that the MH1C lacks in the micro detail department, I would say they have excellent bass impact compared to other iems at the same level, from memory the xba1 has more bass but not so much impact, I think this is why I got a surprise from the MH1C and the fact that he mid and high frequencies don't fall behind.

I also don't find the MH1C dark, but they do need quiet a bit of power to bring the details out, I only notice the veil after side by side listens to my W4r.

It is true that the MH1 was designed for sony phones, hence the 2 different versions for the different older and newer mic implementation.

It all depends on you, personally I would give the mh1c a go first since they are so cheap and upgrade if you are not happy.

Thank you for all of the inputs! I'll try to get both then. I get lucky because, for some weird reason one of my Facebook friend interested in my dead Xba-1 and want to buy it, and the amount is just enough for MH1! Maybe he want to take an actual look at the BA...

Thanks again! smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › My iem just broke and need a replacement...