Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1) - Page 49

post #721 of 5300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

 

Audionewbi, i am very curious to hear your impressions about ASG-2 with AK120, i can see all positive responses but have not seen someone with AK commenting on them.

NB: AK is not Kalashnikov but is Astell&Kern :-D

For sure, hopefully by end of next week I can provide some quick early impression. Any particular genera of music you like me to cover? The one I listen to is mostly chamber and live acoustic based music, modern trance and a lot of cello solo and jazz.

post #722 of 5300

chamber, live acoustic will be fine. you can add something symphonic like Beethoven's 9th Symphon, Buddy Guy or choose a listen to Eyes Wide Shut movie soundtrack which covers plenty of various genres and is one of the most difficult CDs for any high-end gear i tested.

add to this Chris Spheeris composition Remain In Motion that can be found on his Dancing with The Muse album or Platinum Collection.

 

i will not go more on the list since some other things are more rare to be found around but if you wish you can always download the album called Ballades Africaines where you find a few lovely vocal presentations and good test for percussions and decay. i suggest listen to songs number 1 and 14 (this one is amazing male vocal work).

 

the rest interesting auditions can include:

 

Carmen Lundy - Old Devil Moon

Barbara Streisand - One Night Only At The Village Vanguard

YES - Magnification (Dreamtime composition is amazing test)

ELO - Time (test highs and sibilance in particular)

Bliss - Quiet Letters (Chill, Electronic, etc.)

Buddy Guy - Best Buddies

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (Private investigation song)

Patricial Kaas - Kabbarett Live Paris Casino


Edited by Gintaras - 6/16/13 at 5:09am
post #723 of 5300
I finally got some thought put together on the loaner ASG-2. A huge thanks to Eke for sending these my way. 
 
The first thing I notice when trying out the ASG-2 is how linear they are. Nothing stands out as lacking, or offensive. Treble is nicely extended, conveying all the necessary detail without catching me off-guard with harshness, bite, or any sibilance. Bass goes nice and low (thanks to that 15mm dynamic driver), and remains taut and controlled. I've been listening with the bass dials closed, as I feel that opening them at all just starts to introduce murky mid-bass. If I were a glutton for more bass, I'd just add it in via the clear bass on my Sony F player (that they handle quite well). The dial assembly strikes me as quite fragile though, and I would be paranoid about toying with it overly much. If that painted dot ever wore off from use, an owner could conceivably be left without a way to know what position it resides in. 
 
Soundstage strikes me as a little on the small/closed in side, but it does convey instruments and their locations quite well. It feels a little limited to a singular axis, I would say. But I think that through reading about these, that was on purpose by Aurisonics-- they wanted them to be more of a monitor, and not such an audiophile earphone with the hugest of huge stages, and in your face detailing. They've certainly succeded at that, as they are about the most polite, non-offensive IEM I've heard in quite some time. 
 
Midrange is very detailed and reasonably natural sounding, but it seems a little on the dead side somehow. And maybe, one of the only flaws I can come up, with... just maybe... a touch receded away from the listener. If not the perfectly linear signature, there could be the smallest hint of a shallow U-shape. But that's nitpicking! 
 
The more time I get to listen to the ASG-2's, the more I grow to enjoy their sound, and find I can spend long listening sessions getting lost in the music, and forget about the ASG-2 even being in my ears at all. Besides the smooth presentation, this is also due to the supreme comfort. They really are well thought out in shape, and how they rest in the ears. It would be a treat to fly with these I bet, since they sit so flush and stay securely in place. 
 
Overall, I think they are a solid value at their price, and they take that relaxed Aurisonics house sound and improve upon the 1.2/3. The extra detail of the dual BA tweeters is a highly welcome addition to that 15mm dynamic.  I feel that the ASG-2 is a highly enjoyable, widely applicable, and excellent IEM. 
 
 
 
Some notes on sound compared to the TG334:
 
 
ASG-2
- the sound is quite neutral, very monitor in essence-- possibly a touch dulled from the upper mids through lower treble
- soundstage is on the narrower side, with less of a 3D impression than the 334
- midrange seems a tad withdrawn
- overall tone is supremely polite, and reasonably detailed
- no hint of sibilance or harshness whatsoever (makes the 334 seem almost aggressive sounding)
- bass is fairly close in quantity, with the 15mm driver reaching perhaps a touch lower, but is still more    mid-bass oriented at the same time
- sounds somewhat hazy in comparison to 334 (but still very respectable in detail and insight)
- seems very, very mildly U-shaped in signature 
 
 
TG334
- more expansive sounding, bigger/grander in scale
- more space between instruments; placement is more distinct
- better resolution in the treble, and especially mids (more distinction between midrange instrumentation and vocals)
- bass very close, but rolls off perhaps a touch earlier than with ASG-2
- treble has more sparkle, better tone, and very tactile sensation (this is to me just about the most enjoyable aspect to this IEM-- nothing I've heard has portrayed cymbal ticks so convincingly, including the ASG-2)
- human voices seem more lifelike, full-bodied (not to be mistaken as warm, they are not that at all), not as withdrawn
 
 
 

Edited by cn11 - 6/16/13 at 9:10am
post #724 of 5300
Just when to check out the TG334 and then got reminded of the price. Also, wow!


I should get my ASG2's by the end of this month, middle of next.
post #725 of 5300
@cn11. Good stuff. You touched upon a lot of stuff I look for/at when I do my critical listening so I'm curious if I'll hear them similarly when they arrive.

I sadly will not be comparing them to the TG334 when they arrive lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post

I should get my ASG2's by the end of this month, middle of next.

What did they tell you the turnaround was? Yours is a straight up purchase right?
Edited by vwinter - 6/16/13 at 9:10am
post #726 of 5300
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post

Just when to check out the TG334 and then got reminded of the price. Also, wow!


I should get my ASG2's by the end of this month, middle of next.

 

Yes, the TG334's are quite pricey, that's for sure. 'Hybrid universals' are really creeping up in price, with the 1plus2 potentially coming in around $1,500 depending on cable choice!

post #727 of 5300
Awesome impressions Cn! I'm looking forward to trying out the G-2. biggrin.gif
post #728 of 5300
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

I finally got some thought put together on the loaner ASG-2. A huge thanks to Eke for sending these my way. 


 


The first thing I notice when trying out the ASG-2 is how linear they are. Nothing stands out as lacking, or offensive. Treble is nicely extended, conveying all the necessary detail without catching me off-guard with harshness, bite, or any sibilance. Bass goes nice and low (thanks to that 15mm dynamic driver), and remains taut and controlled. I've been listening with the bass dials closed, as I feel that opening them at all just starts to introduce murky mid-bass. If I were a glutton for more bass, I'd just add it in via the clear bass on my Sony F player (that they handle quite well). The dial assembly strikes me as quite fragile though, and I would be paranoid about toying with it overly much. If that painted dot ever wore off from use, an owner could conceivably be left without a way to know what position it resides in. 


 


Soundstage strikes me as a little on the small/closed in side, but it does convey instruments and their locations quite well. It feels a little limited to a singular axis, I would say. But I think that through reading about these, that was on purpose by Aurisonics-- they wanted them to be more of a monitor, and not such an audiophile earphone with the hugest of huge stages, and in your face detailing. They've certainly succeded at that, as they are about the most polite, non-offensive IEM I've heard in quite some time. 


 


Midrange is very detailed and reasonably natural sounding, but it seems a little on the dead side somehow. And maybe, one of the only flaws I can come up, with... just maybe... a touch receded away from the listener. If not the perfectly linear signature, there could be the smallest hint of a shallow U-shape. But that's nitpicking! 


 


The more time I get to listen to the ASG-2's, the more I grow to enjoy their sound, and find I can spend long listening sessions getting lost in the music, and forget about the ASG-2 even being in my ears at all. Besides the smooth presentation, this is also due to the supreme comfort. They really are well thought out in shape, and how they rest in the ears. It would be a treat to fly with these I bet, since they sit so flush and stay securely in place. 


 


Overall, I think they are a solid value at their price, and they take that relaxed Aurisonics house sound and improve upon the 1.2/3. The extra detail of the dual BA tweeters is a highly welcome addition to that 15mm dynamic.  I feel that the ASG-2 is a highly enjoyable, widely applicable, and excellent IEM. 


 


 


 


Some notes on sound compared to the TG334:


 


 


ASG-2


- the sound is quite neutral, very monitor in essence-- possibly a touch dulled from the upper mids through lower treble


- soundstage is on the narrower side, with less of a 3D impression than the 334


- midrange seems a tad withdrawn


- overall tone is supremely polite, and reasonably detailed


- no hint of sibilance or harshness whatsoever (makes the 334 seem almost aggressive sounding)


- bass is fairly close in quantity, with the 15mm driver reaching perhaps a touch lower, but is still more    mid-bass oriented at the same time


- sounds somewhat hazy in comparison to 334 (but still very respectable in detail and insight)


- seems very, very mildly U-shaped in signature 


 


 


TG334


- more expansive sounding, bigger/grander in scale


- more space between instruments; placement is more distinct


- better resolution in the treble, and especially mids (more distinction between midrange instrumentation and vocals)


- bass very close, but rolls off perhaps a touch earlier than with ASG-2


- treble has more sparkle, better tone, and very tactile sensation (this is to me just about the most enjoyable aspect to this IEM-- nothing I've heard has portrayed cymbal ticks so convincingly, including the ASG-2)


- human voices seem more lifelike, full-bodied (not to be mistaken as warm, they are not that at all), not as withdrawn


 


 


 


Sweet. Thanks cn11.

Needless to say, I heard the treble quite differently...especially about the sparkle and timbre. Still, great objective impressions. I'll add your thoughts to the op when I get back to my computer
post #729 of 5300
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

 

Yes, the TG334's are quite pricey, that's for sure. 'Hybrid universals' are really creeping up in price, with the 1plus2 potentially coming in around $1,500 depending on cable choice!

 

I'm really overall shocked that the ASG-2 at its $550 price can be compared and even better some of these 1K+ phones in some respects. Really it shows you the value that Aurisonics packs.

post #730 of 5300
They didn't tell me. I'm waiting for my H200's to sell before I order. Yeah, straight up purchase.
post #731 of 5300
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


Sweet. Thanks cn11.

Needless to say, I heard the treble quite differently...especially about the sparkle and timbre. Still, great objective impressions. I'll add your thoughts to the op when I get back to my computer

 

Thanks! And yeah, we do hear the top ends quite differently I think... but that's why multiple reviews and impressions are needed so prospective owners can glean a range of impressions. Also, I still believe that the way tips, and earphones in general, interact with a user's unique ear canal shape can cause variations in how things are heard/reported. 

post #732 of 5300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

 

I'm really overall shocked that the ASG-2 at its $550 price can be compared and even better some of these 1K+ phones in some respects. Really it shows you the value that Aurisonics packs.

They are 700$ not 550$  :'(

post #733 of 5300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post

They are 700$ not 550$  :'(

The custom version, AS-2, is $700. ASG-2 is $550

post #734 of 5300
$799 no? $800
post #735 of 5300
Guys try out as many tips as possible. The treble changes very much depending on the angle of the drivers. I'm very surprised that anyone would find the 334 to have more treble.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1)