Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1) - Page 294

post #4396 of 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
 

 

Yeah, the Heaven V is definitely different from what I expected, but check out vwinter's impressions/comparison of the HV that I indexed at the bottom of the first post in the thread.

Different from what you expected in a good way or a bad way haha

vwinter's impressions have definitely sparked an interest too

post #4397 of 5288

Eke, what do you think about the ASG-2s compared to other TOTLs in terms of having punchy bass and female vocals sound like they're singing directly into your soul instead of in far away land? :cool:

post #4398 of 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Someone asked me a question privately about the ASG-2. I figured the answer belongs here too:
Quote:
 
It is a fantastic iem, and my favorite overall for how it presents music. I’ve been somewhat disenchanted with the hyper chase that some still seem to be on. My criteria for a top-tier is a level of refinement (lack of grain/artifacts), plus soundstage dimensions that are enough to make me forget that I’m listening to a mere reproduction of my music. The ASG-2 has its flaws, no doubt, but its strengths outweigh its weaknesses to the point where I simply get lost in the music. I’ve gone a long stretches without it when I’ve loaned it out, and have used other top tier iems in the meanwhile. Still, everytime I get it back, it’s like reading a favorite book again. I think it’s a combination of the weighty, textured bass, the large but intimate staging that carries great height and depth to go along with its width, the overall warm signature that still has sharp clarity in the mids, and treble that can be powdery or sharp depending on the mastering of the track. I also love how its resolving enough to present every little nuance, but polite enough to not thrust it at you analytically. And then the sheer tactility of the images. It’s like I can reach out and touch the guitar strums in front of me, or it’s like I’m the one belting my lungs out in a performance.
 
For a representation of what the ASG-2 is like to me, check out Rivers and Roads by The Head and The Heart.

ASG-2 in a nutshell. Oh? It's only a recording?
post #4399 of 5288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

Eke, what do you think about the ASG-2s compared to other TOTLs in terms of having punchy bass and female vocals sound like they're singing directly into your soul instead of in far away land? :cool:

 

Well, it would be hard to put "other TOTLs" into a nutshell because they all have very different signatures. The ASG-2 has pretty forward vocals, but the upper mids aren't as forwarded as the lower mids. It still has more vocal presence than the likes of the 1plus2 though. The TG334 has slightly more forward upper mids, but has softer bass and sounds a bit less open. 

 

I think a key is the bass port, which may account for a lot of varying impressions. I keep mine completely closed, as even a smidgen open becomes too much and too boomy for me. I've never dared to put it past the second notch.


Edited by eke2k6 - 1/21/14 at 5:01am
post #4400 of 5288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

Different from what you expected in a good way or a bad way haha

vwinter's impressions have definitely sparked an interest too

 

I was biased against the Heaven V when I heard it because I thought it would have a more similar sound signature to the FI-BA-SS, Final Audio's TOTL BA iem. I didn't know it would be a totally different character altogether. I feel like someone should have warned me.

 

Overall, it's a pretty warm and enveloping type sound signature. Aside from that, the barrel of the iem is larger than you'd expect for a single BA, and that blasted strain relief design is straight out of the "sawed off shotgun design handbook". I had problems wearing it OTE.

 

Still, I need to get another go at it with fresh ears and no expectations lol.

post #4401 of 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

I was biased against the Heaven V when I heard it because I thought it would have a more similar sound signature to the FI-BA-SS, Final Audio's TOTL BA iem. I didn't know it would be a totally different character altogether. I feel like someone should have warned me.

Overall, it's a pretty warm and enveloping type sound signature. Aside from that, the barrel of the iem is larger than you'd expect for a single BA, and that blasted strain relief design is straight out of the "sawed off shotgun design handbook". I had problems wearing it OTE.

Still, I need to get another go at it with fresh ears and no expectations lol.

There, fixed. frown.gif

Size and design comments are warranted. Over-ear is an adventure where you need to literally wear them downward and just loop the cable upward. There are microphonics otherwise assuming not the deepest fit, so they are not exactly an active lifestyle IEM. More like a piece of are you can enjoy best while seated lol.

biggrin.gif another go can most certainly be arranged.
post #4402 of 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post

Different from what you expected in a good way or a bad way haha
vwinter's impressions have definitely sparked an interest too

Honestly, if you read my comparison with the ASG-2, you'll notice that I probably say the ASG-2 is technically better at almost everything separately. The Heaven V is unfortunately one of those things that comes together as a whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.
post #4403 of 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
 

Still, I need to get another go at it with fresh ears ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Over-ear is an adventure ...

 

So choose your fresh ears wisely. :smile_phones: 

post #4404 of 5288
Very interesting... 1)have Heaven V coming any day, curious how it stacks up... ASG - 2 high on wish list, I'm assuming the Stealth is basically cosmetic (does cost a lot extra), also some sites sell ASG -22. Is that any different than the ASG-2?
post #4405 of 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

Very interesting... 1)have Heaven V coming any day, curious how it stacks up... ASG - 2 high on wish list, I'm assuming the Stealth is basically cosmetic (does cost a lot extra), also some sites sell ASG -22. Is that any different than the ASG-2?

I asked the same thing about the ASG22 and they said, its the same thing, most likely a typo.  

post #4406 of 5288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

Very interesting... 1)have Heaven V coming any day, curious how it stacks up... ASG - 2 high on wish list, I'm assuming the Stealth is basically cosmetic (does cost a lot extra), also some sites sell ASG -22. Is that any different than the ASG-2?

 

That's definitely a typo.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

So choose your fresh ears wisely. :smile_phones: 

 

I will/won't/might.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post


There, fixed. frown.gif
 

 

 

post #4407 of 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
 

Well, it would be hard to put "other TOTLs" into a nutshell because they all have very different signatures. The ASG-2 has pretty forward vocals, but the upper mids aren't as forwarded as the lower mids. It still has more vocal presence than the likes of the 1plus2 though. The TG334 has slightly more forward upper mids, but has softer bass and sounds a bit less open. 

 

I think a key is the bass port, which may account for a lot of varying impressions. I keep mine completely closed, as even a smidgen open becomes too much and too boomy for me. I've never dared to put it past the second notch.

True. From your comparisons, it seems like I may like the Fischer Amps FA-4e. Too bad it's a bit of a pain to get to the United States.

 

Sigh, I got @UnityIsPower pair today as part of the tour, and I must say I agree with him, I prefer the GR07 BEs to the G2s, LOL. That's not to say the G2s don't have some things going for them, it's just... The GR07 Bass Editions work with more of my library overall I would say, and have a more level and detailed treble. I'm liking these GR07 BEs so much now though that I'd rather have a set than anything else currently in my possession. Now why can't they just isolate better? :/

 

I'll write up some more detailed comparisons when I'm not so dang busy with catching up with schoolwork...

post #4408 of 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

True. From your comparisons, it seems like I may like the Fischer Amps FA-4e. Too bad it's a bit of a pain to get to the United States.

 

Sigh, I got @UnityIsPower pair today as part of the tour, and I must say I agree with him, I prefer the GR07 BEs to the G2s, LOL. That's not to say the G2s don't have some things going for them, it's just... The GR07 Bass Editions work with more of my library overall I would say, and have a more level and detailed treble. I'm liking these GR07 BEs so much now though that I'd rather have a set than anything else currently in my possession. Now why can't they just isolate better? :/

 

I'll write up some more detailed comparisons when I'm not so dang busy with catching up with schoolwork...

Is UnityIsPower's pair the supposedly faulty pair or a proper unit? Cos those impressions are disheartening to hear...

GR07 BE's are some of my favourite IEM's too

post #4409 of 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

True. From your comparisons, it seems like I may like the Fischer Amps FA-4e. Too bad it's a bit of a pain to get to the United States.

 

Sigh, I got @UnityIsPower pair today as part of the tour, and I must say I agree with him, I prefer the GR07 BEs to the G2s, LOL. That's not to say the G2s don't have some things going for them, it's just... The GR07 Bass Editions work with more of my library overall I would say, and have a more level and detailed treble. I'm liking these GR07 BEs so much now though that I'd rather have a set than anything else currently in my possession. Now why can't they just isolate better? :/

 

I'll write up some more detailed comparisons when I'm not so dang busy with catching up with schoolwork...

Is UnityIsPower's pair the supposedly faulty pair or a proper unit? Cos those impressions are disheartening to hear...

GR07 BE's are some of my favourite IEM's too

 

I'm quite sure the pair on tour are his new ones which he found to be better than the pair Aurisonics confirmed was faulty. So shouldn't be any problem there.

post #4410 of 5288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

True. From your comparisons, it seems like I may like the Fischer Amps FA-4e. Too bad it's a bit of a pain to get to the United States.

 

Sigh, I got @UnityIsPower pair today as part of the tour, and I must say I agree with him, I prefer the GR07 BEs to the G2s, LOL. That's not to say the G2s don't have some things going for them, it's just... The GR07 Bass Editions work with more of my library overall I would say, and have a more level and detailed treble. I'm liking these GR07 BEs so much now though that I'd rather have a set than anything else currently in my possession. Now why can't they just isolate better? :/

 

I'll write up some more detailed comparisons when I'm not so dang busy with catching up with schoolwork...

 

Check the bass port setting. Even so, there's truly no way the GR07 is in the same league as the ASG-2.


Edited by eke2k6 - 1/22/14 at 7:26am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1)