Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1) - Page 279

post #4171 of 5391
Not much difference between Purrins compensated and uncompensated set, not Purrins and Rins.

According to his measurements, there's like 3-4dB of rolloff in the bass (slight mismatch).

I'd also argue that Rin's lower to mid-treble doesn't look at all identical to Purrins. The upper treble you can pretty much ignore on these graphs. The only problem is the comparison is useless because they are different sets of ASG-2.

I personally hear a dip as big as Rin's graph shows in the treble but centered and similarly as linear as Purrin's graph shows instead of a very sharp peak.
post #4172 of 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Not much difference between Purrins compensated and uncompensated set, not Purrins and Rins.

According to his measurements, there's like 3-4dB of rolloff in the bass (slight mismatch).

I'd also argue that Rin's lower to mid-treble doesn't look at all identical to Purrins. The upper treble you can pretty much ignore on these graphs. The only problem is the comparison is useless because they are different sets of ASG-2.

I personally hear a dip as big as Rin's graph shows in the treble but centered and similarly as linear as Purrin's graph shows instead of a very sharp peak.

 

Ah sorry I misunderstood. Honestly, they are different in mid-treble, but the differences aren't as drastic as in the bass. 

post #4173 of 5391
In this thread, I learn that everyone listens way louder than I do. I usually listen at around 30-40% in iOS lol. Effin ringin' indeed :l
post #4174 of 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

Ah sorry I misunderstood. Honestly, they are different in mid-treble, but the differences aren't as drastic as in the bass. 

I see it a bit differently I guess,

If you look at the probable good earpiece in Rins, the drop from the bass peak to 20 is about 10dB vs 7-9dB in Purrins. Not exactly gigantic in a range where most music wouldn't even have much sound.

The bigger difference is the relative level of about 1K which appears to be about 9dB above 20hz in Rins vs only about 3-4dB in Purrins. That's big difference, right in the human sensitivity range. On my set I hear that difference as closer to Purrins I'd say.

Then there's 4.5k. The difference in Rins to 1k is over 10dB compensated, vs only a few dB on Purrins, and the dip differs by over 2000hz in relative placement of the lowest point.

That amounts to a difference in sound that I probably wouldn't even say is the same IEM.

But generally, the relative smoothness of the curves across the range is more surprising, albeit Rins is much more horizontally compressed to jarring effect, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

In this thread, I learn that everyone listens way louder than I do. I usually listen at around 30-40% in iOS lol. Effin ringin' indeed :l

Funny, I learned that I'm likely legally deaf.
Edited by vwinter - 11/21/13 at 8:30pm
post #4175 of 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

The only problem is the comparison is useless because they are different sets of ASG-2.

 

Agreed.

 

And neither of them was Eke's tour set, if I'm not mistaken.

post #4176 of 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Agreed.

And neither of them was Eke's tour set, if I'm not mistaken.

+1

It's always good to consider unit variance. It can make a bigger difference than some might realize. That said, the measured pair sounded a lot like my original pair, although obviously I couldn't do a direct comparison. I had the same complaints and praises and general observations.

Does anyone know if purrin uses the same compensation as Rin? Looks a bit different to me. I'll take another look at the raw graphs for now...
post #4177 of 5391

After looking, thinking, comparing. Just imagining and going back to the eq settings I used to make the ASG-2 sound perfect to my ears, (dammit, the preset got deleted, anyway I remember it by heart) I'd say the graph looks pretty spot on except that I get most of the peaks and dips a bit further down the spectrum. And that HUGE peak shouldn't be 20dB but closer to 10 to my ears. But that's about what I had to cut to get rid of the sibilance. I always felt like I was raping the poor ASG-2 with 10dB cut at 8-9kHz and then 7-10dB boost to everything over 10kHz. I also used at most 5-6dB around 4-5k and 2-3dB at 2-3kHz. And compensated for the bass, about what's shown in the graphs. So overall I'd say it's very close to, if not exactly how I hear the ASG-2. I finally feel like my soul can rest. Thanks Purrin for bringing peace to my heart. I'm ready to move on.

post #4178 of 5391
Oh. But didn't Aurisonics confirm that the pair Rin measured was pure and utter crap? So we should probably be a bit more reserved. I don't want this discussion again...
post #4179 of 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post

Oh. But didn't Aurisonics confirm that the pair Rin measured was pure and utter crap? So we should probably be a bit more reserved. I don't want this discussion again...

Yea, it's almost useless at this point, but given that the set tracked pretty evenly after the bass mismatch, it's hard to say something like completely busted. And that little bit of oddness could lead to a lot of possible assumptions about what was faulty, what wasn't, what driver does what, and why the two sets of raw data are so different. They said it was faulty.

Purrin uses a different compensation than Rin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Agreed.

And neither of them was Eke's tour set, if I'm not mistaken.

Nope, not a one.
post #4180 of 5391

Great sound emanating forth from this little rig!  :D

 

post #4181 of 5391
You're posting in the wrong thread cn11 wink.gif
post #4182 of 5391

Here let me get us back on track , i just got new Cables for my AGS-2 they are the Swan Audio SA-05 i have never heard of them nor could i find any reviews...

But on the ASG-2 oh so good they tame the bass and make it way more punchier and accurate ! treble IS JUUUUUUSSSST RIGHT. And the vocals have never sounded sweeter hahahah overal great cable ! 

Got them for a cheap $199 SGD which is about $159 USD if im not wrong. Great build quality and it comes in a super groovy ( yes i said groovy) Metal Box ! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #4183 of 5391

oh dang im really diggin that box!!

post #4184 of 5391

any reason why the ASG-2 is not listed on the Aurisonics web site at all?  I was thinking about trying a set and/or seeing if the trade-in deal is still available....

post #4185 of 5391
Thread Starter 

Now that the semester is over, I finally have time to do what I've been putting off.

 

First order of business, the paint job. My ASG-2 had the original non-matte paint job, which has accrued damage over time. I decided to do something about it. The result:

 

 

I still have to get a few bits and pieces of the paint off and go at it with a nail buffer, but I'm really digging it so far.

 

 

Secondly, I have to post the ER4S write up and send it on tour. I already have a few PMs. If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1)