Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & comparisons (Added K3003, XBA-H3, S-EM6)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & comparisons (Added K3003, XBA-H3, S-EM6) - Page 132

post #1966 of 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post

Really nice review Mr. vwinter!

And I was actually looking forward to the H5 comparison wink.gif


I thought that more ASG-2 reviews would make my live easier (speak: makes me want this IEM even more), but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore...instead it gets even harder for me to decide if I should jump into the metaphorical cold water and order the G-2....
Thanks!
Haha, as I wrote that sentence I actually considered writing you in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

Excellent write-up, vwinter!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post


Also, vwinter great review. I agree with your description of the sibilance issue on the ASG-2. But it can vary a good amount based on fit, which is another reason I'm looking forward to measurements. I disagree with your assessment of the ASG-2's vocal timbre. It's warmer than all the reference targets I'm aware of, and the sibilance detracts from vocal accuracy and timbre as well.

Also really appreciate the W4 and IE800 comparisons. Can't wait to try the IE800 for myself now.

Thanks!
I hope others find that the sibilance goes away experimenting with fit. My experience was pretty consistent across a few tips but I'll try a few more and update when I have time.

Also, I think you're right about the vocal timbre at least in part. I only used my experience in hearing people in life to assess that the vocals didn't sound off to my mind and for the most part they didn't, which is more than I can say for most IEMs I've heard. I did most of my assessive listening for that through the D100 DAC which is different sounding than my other gear. Also fwiw, I kept the sibilance issue seperate because of its limited effective scope. I actually want to do some more listening specifically for this now that you mention it lol. I do stand by my statement that for all the warmth, they have a coldness about them, by which I don't mean brightness, and it helps.

I think you'll probably like the IE800 vocals more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Nice review, vwinter..

Ahh.. I see what you did there, red eye and all..

LL


terminator-eyes-590x374.jpg

VWinter's TL;DR: The AS-2 is a custom IEM made for a a robot that was sent back in time from the future..  to destroy humanity's (or pharmacy's) last hope for survival: Eke.

DALE.. WHAT HAVE YOU CREATED?

Run, EKE... RUUUUUUNNN.

Lol I actually posted that image in the Aurisonics thread. It was just coincidence that that scene came into my mind. But it definitely looks like it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

the-rock-slow-clap.gif



Somebody get this man a Pulitzer.

Those might be the most wholesome set of impressions I've read. Great balance of subjective and technical info beerchug.gif


Wow thanks!
Is that one of those awards that comes with a big fat check? biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post

Great review, Vwinter!!! Way to tell brevity where, precisely, to shove it atsmile.gif


I keed, naturally. Seriously, great review-- I think you pretty much nailed it. The ASG-2 is the neutral-lovin' guy's fun IEM. 

And if anybody ever figures out what the #$% is going on with the D100/G-2 combo sounding like the southbound end of a northbound horse, please let me know. Completely bizarre. 

LOL, LOL, and thanks! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

The bird has spoken and I agree. More than worthy of the newly acquired title. Congrats! smile_phones.gif

Haha, Thanks James! It was so hard to not comment on some stuff that was going on in a few threads. I feel like that was a part of my personal test for the maturity required of a Supremus. rolleyes.gif
Edited by vwinter - 7/24/13 at 8:49pm
post #1967 of 4775
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan


Also, vwinter great review. I agree with your description of the sibilance issue on the ASG-2. But it can vary a good amount based on fit, which is another reason I'm looking forward to measurements. I disagree with your assessment of the ASG-2's vocal timbre. It's warmer than all the reference targets I'm aware of, and the sibilance detracts from vocal accuracy and timbre as well.

Also really appreciate the W4 and IE800 comparisons. Can't wait to try the IE800 for myself now.



I've been using the HF5 exclusively for the last couple of days. I can definitely see where you're coming from when you say that the asg-2's upper mids are comparatively recessed around 2-3K.

However, the Etys all exhibit a massive spike in that region that equals or surpasses the asg-2's mid-bass quantity. With anything but a very (painful) deep insertion, the spike is unbearable for me. It not only throws off timbre, but can get physically painful with some some more energetic vocals.

Also, at the reference plane, the hf5's lower mids and bass sound comparatively congested. It may sound ludicrous to say that about an Ety, but it's quite apparent when looking at that clarity inducing upper mid spike in comparison to the more relaxed lower end. Even with the reference fit, the tone disparity is noticeable in the differences on the piabo scale, where upper notes linger and sound more shouty than their lower counterparts. Add in the nearly completely missing bass below 40 hz and small soundstage, and you get an ultimately flawed presentation.

I'm told the ER4 remedies this by cutting away a lot of the HF5's warmth and impact, and extending the treble more. Still, where's the bass? I heard the ER6 (thanks to you), and even with somewhat deep insertion ( still far from what I'm achieving with the HF5 now) it sounded like crap to my ears.

Still, the HF5's treble is the second best I've heard, bested only by the 1plus2 when it hits its stride. And the spike actually works pretty well for male singers like James Morrison and Usher.

In comparison, the ASG-2 is far more dimensional, able to better convey ambiance and the things between the notes. The larger soundstage and more separated lower notes lend to better transparency down there. Plus, I'd dare say that the vocals are more linear than that of the Etys, given that they have about the same deviation in the upper mids (in opposing directions), but the ASG's slope is more gentle and less jarring.

IMO, it's a waste of time to compare the ASG-2 to anything DF compensated. The G2 might actually have more raw resolution than the HF5, but is not tuned to capitalize on that like the Etys are. In the last couple of days, I've yet to really drift off into the music like I could with the G2. That's what you really pay for.


Edit: I just tried out the HF5 with the below eq. So. Much. Better. The mids actually have a bit more room to breathe now.


Edited by eke2k6 - 7/24/13 at 9:42pm
post #1968 of 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post


What's your favorite iem right now?

 

The electroacustic abomination that is the Earsonics SM64 :)

post #1969 of 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan


Also, vwinter great review. I agree with your description of the sibilance issue on the ASG-2. But it can vary a good amount based on fit, which is another reason I'm looking forward to measurements. I disagree with your assessment of the ASG-2's vocal timbre. It's warmer than all the reference targets I'm aware of, and the sibilance detracts from vocal accuracy and timbre as well.

Also really appreciate the W4 and IE800 comparisons. Can't wait to try the IE800 for myself now.



I've been using the HF5 exclusively for the last couple of days. I can definitely see where you're coming from when you say that the asg-2's upper mids are comparatively recessed around 2-3K.

However, the Etys all exhibit a massive spike in that region that equals or surpasses the asg-2's mid-bass quantity. With anything but a very (painful) deep insertion, the spike is unbearable for me. It not only throws off timbre, but can get physically painful with some some more energetic vocals.

Also, at the reference plane, the hf5's lower mids and bass sound comparatively congested. It may sound ludicrous to say that about an Ety, but it's quite apparent when looking at that clarity inducing upper mid spike in comparison to the more relaxed lower end. Even with the reference fit, the tone disparity is noticeable in the differences on the piabo scale, where upper notes linger and sound more shouty than their lower counterparts. Add in the nearly completely missing bass below 40 hz and small soundstage, and you get an ultimately flawed presentation.

I'm told the ER4 remedies this by cutting away a lot of the HF5's warmth and impact, and extending the treble more. Still, where's the bass? I heard the ER6 (thanks to you), and even with somewhat deep insertion ( still far from what I'm achieving with the HF5 now) it sounded like crap to my ears.

Still, the HF5's treble is the second best I've heard, bested only by the 1plus2 when it hits its stride. And the spike actually works pretty well for male singers like James Morrison and Usher.

In comparison, the ASG-2 is far more dimensional, able to better convey ambiance and the things between the notes. The larger soundstage and more separated lower notes lend to better transparency down there. Plus, I'd dare say that the vocals are more linear than that of the Etys, given that they have about the same deviation in the upper mids (in opposing directions), but the ASG's slope is more gentle and less jarring.

IMO, it's a waste of time to compare the ASG-2 to anything DF compensated. The G2 might actually have more raw resolution than the HF5, but is not tuned to capitalize on that like the Etys are. In the last couple of days, I've yet to really drift off into the music like I could with the G2. That's what you really pay for.


Edit: I just tried out the HF5 with the below eq. So. Much. Better. The mids actually have a bit more room to breathe now.


Nice I was waiting for your hf5 impressions. I would definitely keep playing with the fit. It sounds like you've pretty much got it right, but with etys there's always the possibility of fit improvement, especially in the first few weeks of use.

Assuming you've nailed fit, it sounds like you're more inclined towards the Olive-Welti target. The hf5 needs about - 2.5dB at 2kHz to match that target as opposed to DF. So that close to what you're doing. Less emphasis in the mids will also open up the soundstage. Compared to the F111, which matches the Olive-Welti target quite well in the mids, I think the ASG-2 is even warmer. We'll see for sure in a few days hopefully when Rin's measurements are available.

It's funny I've actually been using the red filters on the ER4S, which lowers the mids about 2dB or so. So I don't think we're that far off in our preferences. You may be a bit more sensitive to mids than I am. A small eq boost below 60Hz is also an improvement to my ears.

I do disagree about the bass quality. It is much more well defined in etys (the ER4S at least) than on the ASG-2. The notes are much clearer, and they don't ever blur together. A transition from a lower bass note a higher bass note will be more apparent on the etys to my ears, while the same transition on the ASG-2 will be slightly more blurred. It's just not as tight on the ASG-2. I think this could be improved with the new cross-valve or a little eq.

Also I don't have my ASG-2 anymore so my impressions against the ER4S are from notes.

Looking forward to your thoughts and ongoing impressions smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by gnarlsagan - 7/24/13 at 10:53pm
post #1970 of 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post


Nice I was waiting for your hf5 impressions. I would definitely keep playing with the fit. It sounds like you've pretty much got it right, but with etys there's always the possibility of fit improvement, especially in the first few weeks of use.

Assuming you've nailed fit, it sounds like you're more inclined towards the Olive-Welti target. The hf5 needs about - 2.5dB at 2kHz to match that target as opposed to DF. So that close to what you're doing. Less emphasis in the mids will also open up the soundstage. Compared to the F111, which matches the Olive-Welti target quite well in the mids, I think the ASG-2 is even warmer. We'll see for sure in a few days hopefully when Rin's measurements are available.

It's funny I've actually been using the red filters on the ER4S, which lowers the mids about 2dB or so. So I don't think we're that far off in our preferences. You may be a bit more sensitive to mids than I am. A small eq boost below 60Hz is also an improvement to my ears.

I do disagree about the bass quality. It is much more well defined in etys (the ER4S at least) than on the ASG-2. The notes are much clearer, and they don't ever blur together. A transition from a lower bass note a higher bass note will be more apparent on the etys to my ears, while the same transition on the ASG-2 will be slightly more blurred. It's just not as tight on the ASG-2. I think this could be improved with the new cross-valve or a little eq.

Also I don't have my ASG-2 anymore so my impressions against the ER4S are from notes.

Looking forward to your thoughts and ongoing impressions smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

I don't own any Ety mainly because I don't like their sound inherently. Not that I don't want a reference phone, but they never seemed quite right to me. I've pretty much figured out that it is because I'm not too keen on the DF tuning. But that's just my preference.

 

The bass though... It isn't congested I'll agree there. However, I prefer the bass on the ASG-2 every time. Not because it is more accurate or faster, because it isn't. It is because they are more real to these ears at least. You say the ER4 has better bass because the notes don't blur together? But really that is a flaw for bass in my eyes, because of inherent note decay that is usually present in bass notes.  The bass notes will inevitably bleed into each other to some degree with instruments. It makes each note feel more real. The ASG-2 is fast enough for everything I've thrown at it so far, and the notes have weight and feeling to them. Put simply they feel more natural and have a live feel. Etys (both HF5 and ER4PT (I don't have any access to the ER4S/P/B)) just feel cold and analytical in the bass, there is some warmth, yes, but really they feel like they are presenting each note without any real energy. I really have no pleasure listening to any Ety.

 

I do feel that if the subbass was improved on the ASG-2s they'll be, in essence, perfect to my ears. But really, for the price, and for the sound, I can't complain. These are by far the best phones I've owned, and definitely deserving of comparison to TOTL. I only had a short time with the TG!334 and the 1+2, and maybe the 1+2 is technically better, but it really isn't $700 better, and honestly, I think I might prefer the ASG-2s to the TG!334 from memory. I think the TG!334 is a bit more resolving in some areas, but not by much and the other benefits of the full range dynamic in terms of natural sound makes for a phone that matches my personal preference much better. 

post #1971 of 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post


I don't own any Ety mainly because I don't like their sound inherently. Not that I don't want a reference phone, but they never seemed quite right to me. I've pretty much figured out that it is because I'm not too keen on the DF tuning. But that's just my preference.

The bass though... It isn't congested I'll agree there. However, I prefer the bass on the ASG-2 every time. Not because it is more accurate or faster, because it isn't. It is because they are more real to these ears at least. You say the ER4 has better bass because the notes don't blur together? But really that is a flaw for bass in my eyes, because of inherent note decay that is usually present in bass notes.  The bass notes will inevitably bleed into each other to some degree with instruments. It makes each note feel more real. The ASG-2 is fast enough for everything I've thrown at it so far, and the notes have weight and feeling to them. Put simply they feel more natural and have a live feel. Etys (both HF5 and ER4PT (I don't have any access to the ER4S/P/B)) just feel cold and analytical in the bass, there is some warmth, yes, but really they feel like they are presenting each note without any real energy. I really have no pleasure listening to any Ety.

I do feel that if the subbass was improved on the ASG-2s they'll be, in essence, perfect to my ears. But really, for the price, and for the sound, I can't complain. These are by far the best phones I've owned, and definitely deserving of comparison to TOTL. I only had a short time with the TG!334 and the 1+2, and maybe the 1+2 is technically better, but it really isn't $700 better, and honestly, I think I might prefer the ASG-2s to the TG!334 from memory. I think the TG!334 is a bit more resolving in some areas, but not by much and the other benefits of the full range dynamic in terms of natural sound makes for a phone that matches my personal preference much better. 

Thanks for your input. Seems we hear them the same, only we have different preferences. Some people love detail, others prefer presentation.

I would love to hear the 334. Seems that it might present vocals more accurately than the ASG-2.
Edited by gnarlsagan - 7/24/13 at 11:35pm
post #1972 of 4775

i would say to each his own, i still wait to audition ASG2 and hope for good result.

post #1973 of 4775
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post


I think the TG!334 is a bit more resolving in some areas, but not by much and the other benefits of the full range dynamic in terms of natural sound makes for a phone that matches my personal preference much better. 

It really isn't. I spent a very long time comparing raw detail resolution, and anything the 334 could produce, the g2 could. The differences lie in the presentation of the upper mids and treble.
post #1974 of 4775
I'm experimenting with some eq on the asg-2. A bump at 2k and 4.5k, and a dip at 8k as well. Getting some nice results.
post #1975 of 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

Thanks for your input. Seems we hear them the same, only we have different preferences. Some people love detail, others prefer presentation.

I'm finding, for me, tonality comes first.
post #1976 of 4775
Off the top of my head I thought it would be lower than 2k. It has a more pronounced effect than the dip at 2k on the Heaven V... Maybe it's the midbass?
post #1977 of 4775
So that's what you why abstained from posting til 1501 you sly devil you lol. Fantastic set of impressions V. Loved your Nina Simone/Barry White analogy, very clever way of expressing the G-2's bass presentation
post #1978 of 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I'm finding, for me, tonality comes first.

Now that you mention it, tonality is my number one as well. Vocals specifically.
post #1979 of 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post


Now that you mention it, tonality is my number one as well. Vocals specifically.

 

So, you'll be selling your Etys & your F111s? Yay!!

post #1980 of 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

So, you'll be selling your Etys & your F111s? Yay!!

Not sure if serious... but actually tonality is the biggest reason I won't be selling the ER4S or F111. Their mids are more correct to my ears than anything else I've heard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & comparisons (Added K3003, XBA-H3, S-EM6)