or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) - Page 324

post #4846 of 6782
h20! The man that showed me the light(h200) before he scared me into the darkness(corner). You going to be reviewing them KC06A(wonders) fo sure right? I'm waiting(excited!) to hear them outdo(destroy) the elites!
post #4847 of 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post

h20! The man that showed me the light(h200) before he scared me into the darkness(corner). You going to be reviewing them KC06A(wonders) fo sure right? I'm waiting(excited!) to hear them outdo(destroy) the elites!



No, I own KC06, though will wait for KC06A, let the boys get some impressions in.

I've shifted away from portable (and IEM's in general). I'm more focusing on desktop gear as I became tired with IEM's and DAP's, (although I still tinker with them) they're not my main focus anymore. The only IEM I'm interested in currently is DN-2000 as I'm eager to see if it can cause some stir like DN-1000. I'm also demoing Sony H3 soon just for a demo. Besides that I've been knocking back samples and tour opportunities such as Noble PR and AudioFly offerings. 

:beerchug:

post #4848 of 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post

I don't know mang, my memaw was purty perfect wink.gif

I'm hoping my ASG 2 gets compared to the H300 during the upcoming tour, by a great head-fi'er non-the-less 😊
Yea definitely. Coadunation ain't foxy paradisiacal. smily_headphones1.gif We need presupposition! smily_headphones1.gif
post #4849 of 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Take Tralucents DacAmp One for example, pair H-300 with that and they sound amazing. More or less cures any faults like magic.


Only sets you back $499 USD but there's solid proof H-300 can perform well. wink_face.gif


I'm so tempted to buy one solely for H-300 though cannot bring myself to fall for such insanity.
Haha I just got the Tralucent T1. smily_headphones1.gif Thanks for your advice! It's really a good matching. Both for the DX50 and H300. If the chance comes by I'll grab and the DacAmp too! smily_headphones1.gif Will be looking out for your comparisons between H300 and DN2000! smily_headphones1.gif
post #4850 of 6782
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post


Nothing is perfect. Probably it just doesn't suit your taste. Probably you should just offload it and venture into another gem.

I do agree that vocals is a forte of the ASG2. The bass is far by large the reference plane nor deep into the sub bass region but it has got plenty of body and punch as opposed to say, W4. Treble wise, the ASG2 takes a hit. Probably it was meant to be tuned this way. But a simple EQ lifts it up well. Unless you're an EQ advocate..

I see that you enjoy the H200. Probably you can look into the H300. Amazing phone if you can strike into its sound signature. Comparing the bass to ASG2 it's simply out of the world. Treble wise it also kicks the ASG2 in the butt together with superb clarity and details. What it doesn't do so well is the mids region. With a treble spike around 8-9Khz, it may put off some. Vocals definitely no match against the ASG2. But it isn't recessed. Just that the emphasis on sub bass and highs seem to put it in a back seat. But in all, still good. With good DAP or amp synergy, the H300 is enticing. It is a good complement to ASG2 and has been my on the go IEM for now.

 

 

The weird thing is that the I wouldn't consider the H200 or GR07 even close to sniffing at what the ASG-2 can do, even in the treble. The H200 and GR07 are simply brighter with large treble spikes, but if you A/B there is tons more detail resolution in the ASG-2. Then when you talk about raw bass punch and speed in the ASG-2 when the port is closed, the GR07 doesn't keep up. Then you get to the ASG-2's soundstage that simply kills both those phones dead in their tracks, and most other phones I've heard. 

 

Unity, maybe you just can't come to terms that you spent $650 on something lol. Even the EX1000 that's your reference doesn't come close to the XBA-H3 in refinement, and lags behind both the ASG-2 and H3 in technicalities. I actually have all 3 with me now, and I did some A/B'ing. I vastly prefer vocals on both the H3 and ASG-2 over the EX1000. 

 

 

Here's H20Fidelity when he had the ASG-2 and compared them to the H200

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 

 

I think ASG-2 are quite a bit superior to H-200, in more than a few area's. the head stage and soundstage on ASG-2 is much larger so everything sounds bigger or blown up in proportion, it has better coherency right across the board and makes H-200 sound congested, also ASG-2's detail extension goes beyond what H-200 can achieve and makes them sound babyish, especially with the  intimate vocals ASG-2 has.  Far as tonality is concerned I prefer the crisper edge H-200 has over the slightly darker mid bassy ASG-2 which sounds more natural. But one cannot deny H-200 must bow down and assume the position when ASG-2 enters the room.

This isn't to say H-200 are bad because I still use them almost daily recently. H-200 lived past my Westone 4 ownership which I have now sold. I have word from T-Peos that they'll be sending me some H-200 cables to review and give impression on this week. One pure silver, and another silver plated cable, (the cables I showed you all a page or so back) So really guys the cables don't appear that far away, even though I think it's taken too long personally.... 

 
post #4851 of 6782
Thread Starter 

^ Then again, there's also the issue of volume. I've come to realize that volume means everything in our world. Poor volume matching during listening has caused many an audiophile to drop thousands on gear because they think it's better.

 

For reference, I listen to my G2 at around 40-50% of my iphone's volume. The amazing thing is that it sounds like an ENTIRELY different phone at those volumes than it does at, say, 20%. The soundstage literally has a big-bang like explosion in dimensions, details pop everywhere, and the mid-bass is instantly tamed and becomes a far more agile animal. That's my reference when I listen, so I can see where variations would come from...

 

And then there's the issue of the bassport lol.

post #4852 of 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


The weird thing is that the I wouldn't consider the H200 or GR07 even close to sniffing at what the ASG-2 can do, even in the treble. The H200 and GR07 are simply brighter with large treble spikes, but if you A/B there is tons more detail resolution in the ASG-2. Then when you talk about raw bass punch and speed in the ASG-2 when the port is closed, the GR07 doesn't keep up. Then you get to the ASG-2's soundstage that simply kills both those phones dead in their tracks, and most other phones I've heard. 

Unity, maybe you just can't come to terms that you spent $650 on something lol. Even the EX1000 that's your reference doesn't come close to the XBA-H3 in refinement, and lags behind both the ASG-2 and H3 in technicalities. I actually have all 3 with me now, and I did some A/B'ing. I vastly prefer vocals on both the H3 and ASG-2 over the EX1000. 


Here's H20Fidelity when he had the ASG-2 and compared them to the H200
I also do find that the ASG2 is way above the GR07. I had the GR07 MKII but didn't impress me like the ASG2. Technicalities wise ASG2 wins. Lows, lower mids, upper mids, details, separation, soundstage, timbre, the ASG2 takes it all home. Probably GR07 would be closer to neutral sounding that's all. ASG2 really does require a volume above a certain threshold for the sound to open up and come alive. But it does remain sounding full bodied even in low volumes. Waiting for ASG2.5 comparisons! smily_headphones1.gif
post #4853 of 6782
I think the problem in Unity's somewhat lengthy dissatisfaction is ASG -2 signature obviously doesn't sit well with him, and possibly high expectations originally which have stuck with him. I had 1plus2 and ASG -2 at the same time and still stand by they can compete with each other. If they could just lower that mid-bass the ASG -2 Gintaras labelled the 'hooligan' of IEMs would of suited me more. But I did rock out and have a damn good time with them.

Unity, if they just there mate sell them, try something else. If it wasn't for needing to sleep in them I'd recommend Dunu DN -1000. There's better out there than GR07, (especially as we're moving forward in availability) but like us you'll need to trial and error.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 5/6/14 at 8:42am
post #4854 of 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I think the problem in Unity's somewhat lengthy dissatisfaction is ASG -2 signature obviously doesn't sit well with him, and possibly high expectations originally which have stuck with him. I had 1plus2 and ASG -2 at the same time and still stand by they can compete which other. If they could just lower that mid-bass the ASG -2 Gintaras labelled the 'hooligan' of IEMs would of suited me more. But I did rock out and have a damn good time with them.

Unity, if they just there mate sell them, try something else. If it wasn't for needing to sleep in them I'd recommend Dunu DN -1000. There's better out there than GR07, (especially as we're moving forward in availability) but like us you'll need to trial and error.

 

 

Yes mid bass was the biggest issue I had.  I have my asg2 re-tuned by Dale to get more sub-bass and reign in the mid-bass hump.  He mentioned the valve mod and other damping materials.  I definitely prefer the re-tuned version.  Not sure if the brush nickel shell vs my original chrome shell made any different.  Also I find the asg2 quite tip dependent - mine sounded darker with short single flange silicon tip, and more air and spicier treble with longer double flange.

post #4855 of 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


Yes mid bass was the biggest issue I had.  I have my asg2 re-tuned by Dale to get more sub-bass and reign in the mid-bass hump.  He mentioned the valve mod and other damping materials.  I definitely prefer the re-tuned version.  Not sure if the brush nickel shell vs my original chrome shell made any different.  Also I find the asg2 quite tip dependent - mine sounded darker with short single flange silicon tip, and more air and spicier treble with longer double flange.

I specifically remember walking into kitchen while wearing ASG -2 once with some EDM playing, the bass impact (mostly mid-bass) was honestly almost slapping me behind the forehead with some serious pressure. BIG bass, big thump, but like yourself I just wish it was sub-bass focused.
post #4856 of 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

The only IEM I'm interested in currently is DN-2000 as I'm eager to see if it can cause some stir like DN-1000. I'm also demoing Sony H3 soon just for a demo. Besides that I've been knocking back samples and tour opportunities such as Noble PR and AudioFly offerings.

beerchug.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post

Will be looking out for your comparisons between H300 and DN2000! smily_headphones1.gif
This^
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


The weird thing is that the I wouldn't consider the H200 or GR07 even close to sniffing at what the ASG-2 can do, even in the treble. The H200 and GR07 are simply brighter with large treble spikes, but if you A/B there is tons more detail resolution in the ASG-2. Then when you talk about raw bass punch and speed in the ASG-2 when the port is closed, the GR07 doesn't keep up. Then you get to the ASG-2's soundstage that simply kills both those phones dead in their tracks, and most other phones I've heard.

Unity, maybe you just can't come to terms that you spent $650 on something lol. Even the EX1000 that's your reference doesn't come close to the XBA-H3 in refinement, and lags behind both the ASG-2 and H3 in technicalities. I actually have all 3 with me now, and I did some A/B'ing. I vastly prefer vocals on both the H3 and ASG-2 over the EX1000.

Much to find agreement with. On the bolded part: IMO the H3 outdid the EX1000 in treble refinement but failed to convey the same clarity/space provided by the EX when the sound pipes started unleashing. BTW, are we talking H3 with tape mod or naked?

Also, you didn't enjoy the H200's low end more then the ASG2?

Sixfithy eke!

Look at these guys! Hear these guys!


36 quid... I don't even....

*my wallet:
-Anime-песочница-бешенство-61883.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

^ Then again, there's also the issue of volume. I've come to realize that volume means everything in our world. Poor volume matching during listening has caused many an audiophile to drop thousands on gear because they think it's better.

For reference, I listen to my G2 at around 40-50% of my iphone's volume. The amazing thing is that it sounds like an ENTIRELY different phone at those volumes than it does at, say, 20%. The soundstage literally has a big-bang like explosion in dimensions, details pop everywhere, and the mid-bass is instantly tamed and becomes a far more agile animal. That's my reference when I listen, so I can see where variations would come from...

And then there's the issue of the bassport lol.
BloatPort™ wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I think the problem in Unity's somewhat lengthy dissatisfaction is ASG -2 signature obviously doesn't sit well with him, and possibly high expectations originally which have stuck with him. I had 1plus2 and ASG -2 at the same time and still stand by they can compete with each other. If they could just lower that mid-bass the ASG -2 Gintaras labelled the 'hooligan' of IEMs would of suited me more. But I did rock out and have a damn good time with them.

Unity, if they just there mate sell them, try something else. If it wasn't for needing to sleep in them I'd recommend Dunu DN -1000. There's better out there than GR07, (especially as we're moving forward in availability) but like us you'll need to trial and error.

I do wish for full size headphone sound in iem form. My expectations have lvled and I don't hate the ASG 2 sig(just look at my comparisons) but the EX1000 did show me that, at least when talking vocals, my reference(what I want to hear) is not a pie in the sky. Lows(still searching) mids(best match: EX1000) highs(best match: H3). I don't know where to include nekomimi here but it's this;

DEAR GOD IT IS ^

Also, KC06 now exist and pose quite a problem(challenge)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


Yes mid bass was the biggest issue I had. I have my asg2 re-tuned by Dale to get more sub-bass and reign in the mid-bass hump. He mentioned the valve mod and other damping materials. I definitely prefer the re-tuned version. Not sure if the brush nickel shell vs my original chrome shell made any different. Also I find the asg2 quite tip dependent - mine sounded darker with short single flange silicon tip, and more air and spicier treble with longer double flange.
Double flange FTW.

And yes, bass presentation was a big thing for me. Then there's the port I was looking forward to using, not anymore...
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I specifically remember walking into kitchen while wearing ASG -2 once with some EDM playing, the bass impact (mostly mid-bass) was honestly almost slapping me behind the forehead with some serious pressure. BIG bass, big thump, but like yourself I just wish it was sub-bass focused.

But dale has another trick up his sleeve that u must review mate... 🚀

Who else will terrify me when I disagree with them? Just look at your avatar...
post #4857 of 6782
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post


 

 

I never got to compare the H200 and ASG-2 together, my pair was touring Europe at the time like Aerosmith lol.

 

 

I've said it before, the KC06 is no joke at all. When it comes to sheer refinement, detailing, etc. the Ostry is right up there with some of the best I've heard...and at $60 too. Same goes for the Tenore. Ears I trust have been telling me how the tenores stack up to the very best phones on the planet. This is the state of portable audio now, and you guys should enjoy it.

 

Unfortunately/fortunately, these phones don't cover all the bases. The Ostry, for instance, falls short when it comes to presenting an immersive soundstage. It just can't quite dissolve your body into the music like the ASG-2, K3003, 1plus2, etc do. I call it the GR07 syndrome. Now, you could decide that the extra $500-$1000 is not worth it for you. That would be a VERY sane decision. However, there are times I've considered letting my G2 go to help pay my tuition, but I end up quickly scrapping the idea whenever I pop them in and they make my music come alive. The G2 is the only IEM I've owned for so long. everything else has come and gone, including the GR07 3 separate times. 

 

Still, budget audio has come INSANELY far in the last 3 years. Remember how we used to think the GR06 was a steal? Now the Ostry lays it over the knee and slaps it hard...and the GR06 kind of likes the punishment. 

 

Unity, you could truly sell the ASG-2 and buy the FX850 or DITA or likewise. I know people who are selling their kilobuck phones  to get them.

post #4858 of 6782

The DITA has been intriguing as of late.  I will still give the 846 its proper time but I think the DITA might be the next on the list if the 846 doesnt do it for me. 

post #4859 of 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
 

 

I never got to compare the H200 and ASG-2 together, my pair was touring Europe at the time like Aerosmith lol.

 

 

I've said it before, the KC06 is no joke at all. When it comes to sheer refinement, detailing, etc. the Ostry is right up there with some of the best I've heard...and at $60 too. Same goes for the Tenore. Ears I trust have been telling me how the tenores stack up to the very best phones on the planet. This is the state of portable audio now, and you guys should enjoy it.

 

Unfortunately/fortunately, these phones don't cover all the bases. The Ostry, for instance, falls short when it comes to presenting an immersive soundstage. It just can't quite dissolve your body into the music like the ASG-2, K3003, 1plus2, etc do. I call it the GR07 syndrome. Now, you could decide that the extra $500-$1000 is not worth it for you. That would be a VERY sane decision. However, there are times I've considered letting my G2 go to help pay my tuition, but I end up quickly scrapping the idea whenever I pop them in and they make my music come alive. The G2 is the only IEM I've owned for so long. everything else has come and gone, including the GR07 3 separate times. 

 

Still, budget audio has come INSANELY far in the last 3 years. Remember how we used to think the GR06 was a steal? Now the Ostry lays it over the knee and slaps it hard...and the GR06 kind of likes the punishment. 

 

Unity, you could truly sell the ASG-2 and buy the FX850 or DITA or likewise. I know people who are selling their kilobuck phones  to get them.

 

Listening to the Tenore right now, and yes it's definitely top three imo. Just uber-refined and smooth. Budget audio really is taking over. And while many of us don't agree about what sounds good, I appreciate that most people now accept that good sound doesn't need to empty your wallet.

 

Really looking forward to the KC06. Are you going to do a comparison with the ASG-2 on this thread? Also, any info on the KC06A and others?  

post #4860 of 6782
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post
 

 

Listening to the Tenore right now, and yes it's definitely top three imo. Just uber-refined and smooth. Budget audio really is taking over. And while many of us don't agree about what sounds good, I appreciate that most people now accept that good sound doesn't need to empty your wallet.

 

Really looking forward to the KC06. Are you going to do a comparison with the ASG-2 on this thread? Also, any info on the KC06A and others?  

 

 

For sure, while top tier audio sits and twiddles its thumbs.

 

 

I think you'll really like them. I'm especially curious how they stack up to the Tenore. I may add the KC06 when my ASG-2.5 comes in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)