or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) - Page 215

post #3211 of 6735
So there seems to be something amiss here. The K3Ks I have sound good, perhaps too good to be the genuine article. I'm currently rollin with the following theories:

1. Driver must've picked these up in the Chinatown district in Chicago, and these are in fact OKGi H3003s

2. The drivers in the K3K were damaged improved in transit

3. My hearing is awful

4. I'm probably drunk. Oh god it's only 10 in the morning I need to check myself into AA frown.gif
post #3212 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

So there seems to be something amiss here. The K3Ks I have sound good, perhaps too good to be the genuine article. I'm currently rollin with the following theories:

1. Driver must've picked these up in the Chinatown district in Chicago, and these are in fact OKGi H3003s

2. The drivers in the K3K were damaged improved in transit

3. My hearing is awful

4. I'm probably drunk. Oh god it's only 10 in the morning I need to check myself into AA frown.gif

Don't panic!  Switch to beer!

post #3213 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

 

 

The difference between the K3003 and ASG-2, to these ears, is significant. The way I'd describe this very briefly is, the AKGs sound more correct / realistic-sounding than the G2s... quite a bit more correct / realistic-sounding, in fact.

 

I tested several tracks but in one, in particular (see link below), the differences were pretty significant, where the G2s sounded rather congested and somewhat muddy in comparison. The K3003's transparency was markedly more apparent—percussion sounding as it should (big difference here)—and the low frequencies on the AKGs sounding very right, not thin, not bloated; the G2's low-end, by contrast, sounded boosted, unnaturally so. That's not to say the track sounded really bad / awful on the G2s, but it clearly sounded better on the AKGs (no golden ears needed here, in my view).

On well-mastered albums the K3003s take the cake without a doubt. On bright-sounding recordings (mostly modern pop and rock) the G2s sound better while the AKGs still sound very good — the K3003 is undoubtedly a better all-rounder as it handles practically any genre or mastering/recording quality with aplomb or at least, on poor masterings, quite competently. Orchestral works are not meant for the G2s—they don't sound horrible, but they lack air, space, transparency and can sound a little too thick, the busier the passage, the more evident this becomes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqLxfFEzw5I

Perhaps idsynchrono, who now has a pair of K3003s in his possession and also owns a pair of ASG-2s, can chime in…and tell our FA4 & K3003 fanboy sparrow the AKGs are good, yes, but not quite that good.

K3003 sounds more transparent because it's got less bass and slightly more lower treble (around 4khz area). If you EQ, ASG-2 can sound more transparent (not beating K3003 by any means).

post #3214 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

lol means a lack of trust in Europe. We have nothing like that in America. There's normally plenty of carts to spare ;). Soon they'll be charging you a tax to walk on the street I suppose? :P.

 

I live in the Chicago area and have seen several stores which used that system - using a quarter.  I have also seen places that use RFID, or something similar to lock the wheels of carts removed from the perimeter of a lot.

post #3215 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

i would love to hear FA4 and else European earphones but as always in Europe little chance to try anything besides few big brands, none of these special IEMs is present in shops here and i do not fancy paying deposit to the online shop for testing and then bearing shipping costs, do not get me wrong i gladly would pay shipping costs for a fellow headfier but company which sells them must allow users free listen. i am mad at EU service and could not care less what they have if they do not know how to sell and approach customer.

I have to comment here.  When there is a buyer and a seller, the presumption is that there are costs and benefits/ risks and rewards associated with the possible transaction(s), and they should be equitably distributed/shared by all of the relevant participants.  Notice I never specified whether buyer or seller was an individual or a company.

 

When you say that the company should provide free listening, you are saying that they should bear all of the risks, and that you should not have to bear any.  I assume you are not considering an iem purchase as a means to cure cancer, feed the hungry, or house the homeless - it is for personally enjoyment.   So long as the company will allow returns, it seems to be a fair allocation of risks/benefits etc.  To say otherwise just sounds selfish, imho.

 

As to local shops not carrying the things you want - I wish i could get more variety in local shops as well - but the shops will only carry what they can sell profitably, and what they have access to - recommend a local shop to, e.g., Aurisonics, and see if they would be interested as well.  Consumers have to do some of the work in a free market as well!!!!!

post #3216 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobie View Post

.....get back to GR07 to see if I still enjoyed it like before etysmile.gif I will get back to you again after a few days.   

 

After listening to just the GR07 for the past few days, I'm glad that I still like it as it is. GR07 gives a more relaxed feeling, and works well with songs that are slower in tempo.

 

Something that I can confirm thou, is GR07 MKII actually has more sub-bass (rumble) than my previous ASG 2.

post #3217 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Actually it's Dane.

 

evil_smiley.gif naughty naughty

post #3218 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzman View Post

 

I live in the Chicago area and have seen several stores which used that system - using a quarter.  I have also seen places that use RFID, or something similar to lock the wheels of carts removed from the perimeter of a lot.


That's interesting. We have nothing like that here in Hawaii.

post #3219 of 6735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobie View Post

 

After listening to just the GR07 for the past few days, I'm glad that I still like it as it is. GR07 gives a more relaxed feeling, and works well with songs that are slower in tempo.

 

Something that I can confirm thou, is GR07 MKII actually has more sub-bass (rumble) than my previous ASG 2.

 

Yeah, the GR07's bass response and overall tactility is one of the best I've heard. It's quite amazing to say that for a $150 phone.

post #3220 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Yeah, the GR07's bass response and overall tactility is one of the best I've heard. It's quite amazing to say that for a $150 phone.

Eke did you ever eq the GR07 at all? I never really gave it a fair go, but now that I'm eq'ing a lot more I'm wondering about all my past iems and how they could have been improved.
post #3221 of 6735
Lol the ASG2 has one of the worst subbass responses for a dynamic, at least my pair.

The iems that EQ best are those with high bandwidth, low distortion and high sensitivity. No high resonance areas are ideal because something like the SM64 suckout just can't be fixed. It's also better if you EQ down more than up, compensating dipped regions with a boost causes gain compensation otherwise potential clipping. Dynamics are usually better to EQ as their drivers are simply better, I EQ all my iems nowadays because physical tuning can only do so much, of course the iem has to be up to par and the GR07 has one of the best drivers there is.
post #3222 of 6735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Lol the ASG2 has one of the worst subbass responses for a dynamic, at least my pair.

 

Firstly, I'm getting sick of you starting every condescending post with a "LOL". It's really getting on my nerves, and you need to learn how to get your point across without insulting others.

 

Secondly, "your" pair is obviously a lemon. If the cliffdive below 150hz wasn't enough, how about the giant channel mismatch in the bass. There are twenty plus sets of impressions linked to in the first post. How many of them, that are not about Unity's faulty pair, have said anything about it having anything but that the sub-bass that is slightly behind the mid-bass?

 

 

Thirdly, your argument is similar to lawyers who say something they obviously shouldn't to the jury, knowing that the judge will tell them to disregard it. The idea is still planted in the jury's mind anyway. "...at least my pair"

 

 

 

 

Lol, tell me when you hear a real ASG-2.

post #3223 of 6735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post


Eke did you ever eq the GR07 at all? I never really gave it a fair go, but now that I'm eq'ing a lot more I'm wondering about all my past iems and how they could have been improved.

 

No, I never felt the need to, other than to take down the 7khz spike when I first got it.

 

If it had better dynamics, treble, and soundstage presentation, I would have been outta here a long time ago.

post #3224 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Firstly, I'm getting sick of you starting every condescending post with a "LOL". It's really getting on my nerves, and you need to learn how to get your point across without insulting others.

Secondly, "your" pair is obviously a lemon. If the cliffdive below 150hz wasn't enough, how about the giant channel mismatch in the bass. There are twenty plus sets of impressions linked to in the first post. How many of them, that are not about Unity's faulty pair, have said anything about it having anything but that the sub-bass that is slightly behind the mid-bass?


Thirdly, your argument is similar to lawyers who say something they obviously shouldn't to the jury, knowing that the judge will tell them to disregard it. The idea is still planted in the jury's mind anyway. "...at least my pair"

Lol, tell me when you hear a real ASG-2.

Likely to get another pair, but gnarlsagan also felt about the same, his is also faulty? This iem is still in its FOTM stage so i take all the impressions With a grain of salt. this is not a please Eke thread I can post Lols as much as I like lol....

Apparently Aurisonics needs to work on their quality control if the variation can be that bad, though it can be a very rare isolated case, which I doubt, who knows.
Edited by Inks - 8/27/13 at 11:39pm
post #3225 of 6735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post


Likely to get another pair, but gnarlsagan also felt about the same, his is also faulty? This iem is still in its FOTM stage so i take all the impressions With a grain of salt. this is not a please Eke thread I can post Lols as much as I like lol....

Apparently Aurisonics needs to work on their quality control

 

It's true I didn't hear mine as it's being described by eke, shotgunshane and others. I'm pretty sure I wasn't getting as much sub-bass as they are, but sub-bass definitely didn't drop like a rock either. Tinyman made a very good case for faulty drivers causing the terrible bass measurements. However I'm not fully convinced that the "better" driver from the measurements was also faulty, even though it had some considerable bass roll off as well. This "better" measuring driver with less roll-off more closely resembles what I heard from the ASG-2.  I'm very much looking forward to further investigation.

 

I do agree that the ASG-2 is somewhat FOTM, but at least Aurisonics is offering solid customer service to those who are dissatisfied. I do think they will improve QC and fidelity over time. I'm hoping they can pull off a smoother mid-range along with that cross-valve.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)