or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) - Page 176

post #2626 of 6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by klfl View Post

 

 

 

Both are medium size. Right side are the "ortofon" you get from Amazon. These are generic Sennheiser tips, although the buid quality is pretty good.

On some particular IEMs I have, the senn tips sounds better. But in most cases the Ortofons win, and these are more comfortable.

 

Yes, I found a couple of sets, the clear Ortofon tips as above, from my big bag of tips. I should take a picture of that, you guys would get a chuckle.

Anyway have them both on my ASG-2 and my SD3, so far they sound good and are comfortable. Thanks. 

post #2627 of 6728

Thanks @Eke for your ASG-2 loaner, here are my (very brief) impressions:

I've had these IEMs for about a week now, but sadly found only time to listen to them for about 15 hours. I used a SGS3 and a Fiio X3 as sources with very similar results.

 

Bass: As many have said before, these are potential bass monsters. Only once did I try to open the ports a bit (very carefully so, 'cause the screws on this unit look already worn out), but quickly returned to the minimum setting. Even with closed ports, mid-bass is slightly too much for my taste and ever-present, at least in quiet surroundings. Outside, on the go, bass tends to get partially masked by ambient noise and I feel the minimum setting is pretty well-suited for that. While bass quantity is a bit much, its quality is actually very good, with fast transients and nice texture, I just wished there was more emphasis on deep bass and less so on mid/upper bass. From what I've been gathering, there's already a product update in the works to optimize the bass tuning in that regard.

Mids: These are the star of the show in my book, very clear, detailed and refined. Granted, there's a little bit too much warmth from excessive mid/upper bass, but it doesn't get problematic unless I pump up the volume well beyond my usual loudness level. There's a pleasant natural feel about how vocals are rendered which I rarely get with BA-based phones, maybe because of the "special" type of BA used (that Eke mentioned in his review), or due to the BA and DD drivers working in unison, idk. Anyway, I'd go out on a limb and say these are among the most likeable mids I've heard, at least for most part of the frequency range.

Highs: Speaking of which, transition from upper mids into highs is where things get much less enjoyable, because that's where the phones pull back with a vengeance. While even high female soprano vocals still show enough presence, cymbals suddenly appear ruthlessly smothered and lifeless to these aging ears. Perhaps presbycusis plays a role in that perception, and I'm known to like it lively "up there", but suffice to say I was instantly reminded of how Tyll wondered whether the tweeters were even working on these. That said, they (the tweeters) are indeed ok, 'cause amazingly enough the ASG-2s have pretty good air on top, which shows that they regain presence higher up in the treble range. When I say amazingly, it's because every other phone I've heard so far that rendered cymbals so politely (think SE530, SM3) continued to roll off higher up and as a consequence lacked air on top.

Bottom line: these are definitely stage monitors imo, and they make no secret of it. At that, I'd think they're pretty competent, since their midrange has excellent presence and quality. Bass is tight and nicely textured and offers more than sufficient punch in reserve to counter the masking effect in noisy surroundings, while highs are decidedly pulled back to minimize the risk of long-term listening fatigue.

However, since I'm no stage performer and prefer a less specialist sound signature, I must confess the ASG-2s are not quite my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I think these phones are very good on a technical level, and shotgunshane's EQ settings bring them much closer to a balanced sound signature, but strictly judging them from a home listener's point of view and from a flat source, these aren't quite at eye level with something like the 1plus2 in my book.

Nevertheless, they definitely sound "analogue" enough to pass them on to Gintaras with a clear conscience, so that's what I'm going to do tomorrow. smile_phones.gif

post #2628 of 6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Thanks @Eke for your ASG-2 loaner, here are my (very brief) impressions:

I've had these IEMs for about a week now, but sadly found only time to listen to them for about 15 hours. I used a SGS3 and a Fiio X3 as sources with very similar results.

 

Bass: As many have said before, these are potential bass monsters. Only once did I try to open the ports a bit (very carefully so, 'cause the screws on this unit look already worn out), but quickly returned to the minimum setting. Even with closed ports, mid-bass is slightly too much for my taste and ever-present, at least in quiet surroundings. Outside, on the go, bass tends to get partially masked by ambient noise and I feel the minimum setting is pretty well-suited for that. While bass quantity is a bit much, its quality is actually very good, with fast transients and nice texture, I just wished there was more emphasis on deep bass and less so on mid/upper bass. From what I've been gathering, there's already a product update in the works to optimize the bass tuning in that regard.

Mids: These are the star of the show in my book, very clear, detailed and refined. Granted, there's a little bit too much warmth from excessive mid/upper bass, but it doesn't get problematic unless I pump up the volume well beyond my usual loudness level. There's a pleasant natural feel about how vocals are rendered which I rarely get with BA-based phones, maybe because of the "special" type of BA used (that Eke mentioned in his review), or due to the BA and DD drivers working in unison, idk. Anyway, I'd go out on a limb and say these are among the most likeable mids I've heard, at least for most part of the frequency range.

Highs: Speaking of which, transition from upper mids into highs is where things get much less enjoyable, because that's where the phones pull back with a vengeance. While even high female soprano vocals still show enough presence, cymbals suddenly appear ruthlessly smothered and lifeless to these aging ears. Perhaps presbycusis plays a role in that perception, and I'm known to like it lively "up there", but suffice to say I was instantly reminded of how Tyll wondered whether the tweeters were even working on these. That said, they (the tweeters) are indeed ok, 'cause amazingly enough the ASG-2s have pretty good air on top, which shows that they regain presence higher up in the treble range. When I say amazingly, it's because every other phone I've heard so far that rendered cymbals so politely (think SE530, SM3) continued to roll off higher up and as a consequence lacked air on top.

Bottom line: these are definitely stage monitors imo, and they make no secret of it. At that, I'd think they're pretty competent, since their midrange has excellent presence and quality. Bass is tight and nicely textured and offers more than sufficient punch in reserve to counter the masking effect in noisy surroundings, while highs are decidedly pulled back to minimize the risk of long-term listening fatigue.

However, since I'm no stage performer and prefer a less specialist sound signature, I must confess the ASG-2s are not quite my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I think these phones are very good on a technical level, and shotgunshane's EQ settings bring them much closer to a balanced sound signature, but strictly judging them from a home listener's point of view and from a flat source, these aren't quite at eye level with something like the 1plus2 in my book.

Nevertheless, they definitely sound "analogue" enough to pass them on to Gintaras with a clear conscience, so that's what I'm going to do tomorrow. smile_phones.gif

Nice read, I agree with pretty much everything you stated. Just to note, they're not quite at eye level with the 1plus2 price tag either ;)

post #2629 of 6728
Thanks James, looking forward. :-)

Nice review, concise and well written.
post #2630 of 6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

...here are my (very brief) impressions:

 

Nice impressions, James — clear, concise and to the point.

 

My guess is Gintaras will be putting his 1p2s up for sale very soon.

post #2631 of 6728
Thread Starter 

Awesome impressions, James. Though I suspect your lower treble troubles are caused by poor synergy between your ears and the ASG-2. You may have to upgrade your ears or, more importantly, your sources. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Added to first page.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Thanks James, looking forward. :-)

Nice review, concise and well written.
 

Looking forward to your thoughts, Ginny. Let's see analogue you think the G2 is compared to the 1P2


Edited by eke2k6 - 8/12/13 at 2:04pm
post #2632 of 6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Thanks @Eke for your ASG-2 loaner, here are my (very brief) impressions:

 

Nice James. That is exactly what I thought as well. Pretty much word-for-word what I would have written if I were to give a brief summary. I also agree when it comes to the 1plus2. The ASG-2, is a fine, fine stage monitor. 

post #2633 of 6728
Great impressions James. Pretty much agree with everything, and I'm really looking forward to the revisions as I believe the G-2 has got great potential. BTW, someone else needs to try out the Silver/Gold cable on the G-2 and let me know whether I'm not crazy for thinking it tames the midbass, expands the stage, and just cleans up the sig in a very nice way.
post #2634 of 6728
James, just great stuff.
Needed a few more words in my opinion, but I guess if you like that economy and efficiency stuff... tongue.gif

It's hard to nail down possible causes for things because we don't, and likely won't, know where the BAs kick in.
post #2635 of 6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

Great impressions James. Pretty much agree with everything, and I'm really looking forward to the revisions as I believe the G-2 has got great potential. BTW, someone else needs to try out the Silver/Gold cable on the G-2 and let me know whether I'm not crazy for thinking it tames the midbass, expands the stage, and just cleans up the sig in a very nice way.

Didn't Dale (?) himself admit it brings out the best of the G-2? It would be nice to get a little cable comparison between the cheaper alternatives as well. The ones that don't cost as much as the iems themselves.
post #2636 of 6728
Dale liked Ted's Cable; which is all silver and made by Chris Himself. I have bought a hybrid cable, silver and OCC copper but it doesn't make much of an audible difference to my ears. Not to the extent that the S/G cable does. I don't have an issue with cymbals on the G-2 myself. The F-4 I like more since it possesses this sizzles and clarity but I don't find the G-2 lacking in presence when it comes to the fundamentals. Maybe there's info missing higher up but my hearin only extends to a pitiful 16 kHz
post #2637 of 6728
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post


Didn't Dale (?) himself admit it brings out the best of the G-2? It would be nice to get a little cable comparison between the cheaper alternatives as well. The ones that don't cost as much as the iems themselves.

 

I think ericp10 remarked about the Fiio UTW or something like that. It's supposed to be SPC though, instead of silver&gold.

post #2638 of 6728
Would be nice to get a few more A/B comparisons. But I guess I'm just being impatient because I'm still waiting for mine..
post #2639 of 6728
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post

Would be nice to get a few more A/B comparisons. But I guess I'm just being impatient because I'm still waiting for mine..

 

I know of at least one member who has the ASG-2, along with the tralucent s&g cable, and a few other cables. Maybe he'll write something up when he has the time.

post #2640 of 6728

Alright, here's my review of the gears I've heard in this thread.  Take it easy on me since I'm not very good at the whole review thing and I know it's like elementary reading.  

 

 

 

Some impressions of the 1P2, IE800, Flat-4 SUI and UM Miracle. 

 

First off, I’d like to thank James and Gavin for the loan of the equipment and to Inks, Lee, Eke and anyone else who put my name in the pot for this opportunity.  Much appreciated.  

 

I am not technical and do not use words that I don’t understand and have no clue about graphs.  I purely listen for enjoyment and purchase based on others opinions and through trial and error.  I am including the Miracles because it has been my flagship and my base for comparison. 

 

I’ve owned the Miracles for almost two years.  For me, the Miracle is quite flat sounding.  The bass does reach deep and has nice impact but lacks quantity.  Midrange is a little too forward but I have no issues with it.  Treble is detailed without any peaks.  Stage is actually rounded nicely with depth and width.  I find it sort of polite and only a few pieces of music here and there that drew me in.  It rarely got my toes tapping.  Still, it has been a great earphone and something I can pick apart the details in music when I felt like it. 

 

I’ve been listening to the Tralucent 1Plus2 for a couple of weeks now and the very first tune I listened to just blew me away.  I didn’t realize I was missing out on all the details of music with the Miracles and anything else I’ve heard to this point.  The music had energy and a very addicting and fun sound.  Bass had excellent impact, enough quantity without being excessive.  Midrange didn’t sound too forward or recessed and vocals just shined with almost every tune.  On a rare occasion I heard peaks but not sibilant.  I mostly attribute this to the files I was listening to.  The treble region is so detailed without any peaks.  It is by far the best treble I’ve heard to date.  I’m quite prone to a certain frequency between the midrange and treble region but have no clue what it is but the 1P2 just skips by it and allows me to enjoy the finely tuned treble.  Soundstage is immense and the instrument separation and positioning is spot on.  A surround sound effect that is rarely this good from what I have heard in an earphone or headphone for that matter. 

 

The Sennheiser IE800 is one hell of a tuned 7mm driver.  It’s hard to fathom the sound I was hearing from a tiny dynamic driver.  Starting with the bass, my first impression was man these have big bass.  As I got more accustomed to the sound, I actually enjoyed the bass.  Bass notes sounded thicker than the 1P2 with good sub-bass and more mid-bass over the 1P2.  I’m not much of mid-bass guy but the IE800 had a good mix that I was completely satisfied.  Vocals sounded slightly more forward compared to the 1P2 but not as to the Miracles.  I actually enjoyed the vocals of the IE800 the most up to this point.  More thickness than the other two to my ears.  Treble was very sparkly and detailed.  Not as detailed as the 1P2 but it had a different presentation that I have a hard time explaining so I’ll just skip it.  As for peaks in the treble, I really couldn’t detect any that bothered me.  The overall presentation was quite spacious.  Music had a 3D effect to what I was hearing but more inside your head 3D instead of out.  Probably not possible but that’s how I’m going to explain it. 

 

Flat-4 SUI didn’t do anything for me on immediate listen.  I actually listened to it for maybe 10 minutes and put it aside and went right back to the IE800’s.  When I did have some time with it, I was very impressed.  Very airy sound, intimate, relaxing for the most part.  Bass had excellent impact and never too much or not enough.  Right there with the music and blended very nicely.  Vocals reminded me of the RE272 which I find to be almost perfect.  I can hear the air pushing around the sweet vocals and it just draws you in.  Treble was the hard part.  It showed sibilance more than the other earphones but not fatiguing like the CK10 or EX1000.  When I didn’t hear the sibilance, the treble was very smooth and quite beautiful.  The sibilance part was rare just to be clear.  Presentation had great depth.  Acoustic instruments and orchestral works sounded amazing with this earphone.  I don’t think it’s an all genre type of phone but with certain music, it’s quite beautiful and just sweeps you away. 

 

Some other tidbits to add would be that the Flat-4’s cable is the best of the bunch.  It’s smooth, doesn’t really tangle and it’s very easy to manage.  The IE800’s cable is somewhat stiff but build seems quite sturdy and not too much to complain about.  1P2’s cable is the silver/gold version and is flexible enough but I wouldn’t really wear it out and about.  Comfort on all earphones were great and I had no issues. 

 

I tried cable swapping with the standard UM cable on the 1P2 and that amazing sound flattened out some.  It wasn’t the same experience as with the silver/gold.  When I used the Tralucent cable on the Miracles, it added warmth, more bass and slightly bigger stage but I didn’t think it jived with the Miracles in a favorable way. 

 

All the earphones are well tuned pieces of gear and I would be happy to own any one of them.  I favor the IE800 for an all around earphone that I could use daily but the technical abilities of the 1P2 is hard to ignore.  If the cable was something I could work with for everyday use, it would be the choice no questions asked.  Flat-4 would be something to have when I want to escape and just relax and enjoy some peace with beautifully rendered and natural sound.  All three earphones are something special and has it’s own unique flavor that I have enjoyed.  Thanks again for the opportunity.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)