or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) - Page 148

post #2206 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

 

Yup, that's what Dale told me at the NY Head-fi meet. Same 15mm full range dynamic driver with 2 next gen tweeters using a crossover free design to augment the highs. Apparently he originally planned to use a second 7mm (iirc) to augment the highs but he later found these BA tweeters that he loved and tuned for his purposes for the ASG-2s. Which is why I was very confused at the Rin's ASG-2 measurements and think something is screwy. 

 

 

So you are suggesting adding tweeters can knock out subbass on the opposite end of the spectrum? Is it because resistance changed? Please explain this logic, because it really doesn't make sense to me. 

 

 

 

Well it isn't that I value it, so much as that is what I am missing right now for my IEM collection. A true neutral accurate reference IEM. I just feel like it would be good to have. 

A bit puzzled myself...

post #2207 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurisonics View Post

Holy Crap is that Eddie Van Halen?


Looks like Charlie Sheen ;).

post #2208 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Looks like Charlie Sheen ;).

LOL kinda does...

post #2209 of 6767
I want to read more but today I'm tired and had a bad day. The clutch cable on the sportbike I was driving disconnected from the lever on my way out from work(first day). I live about 40 miles away. 😐

Thankfully my bro came to my rescue but I had to wait a bit for him to arrive. Then we had no ramp so had to lift the bike into the truck(me/him/friend). Also had to waste bout 17-18 bucks on straps....
post #2210 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurisonics View Post

LOL kinda does...

Are you going to address the measurements dale?
post #2211 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post

I'm trying tiny, like I've said, I don't know how to describe what I hear. I didn't feel I had enough experience to post my dissatisfaction and was even a bit afraid after I see what happens to those who do not assimilate frown.gif



This is why I sent them to Rin and inks.

 


You're always free to show dissatisfaction.  I know I have in the past, you do get ragged for it quite a bit and it's unfortunate.  I still feel there is something off with the measurements.  Could be the IEM, or a number of other factors.  When I auditioned the two (ASG-1 and ASG-2) I found the bass of both similar if not exactly the same (depending on where the bass port was set to).  They had the same focus and pattern of decay.  The main difference, really the only difference, was the treble.  That said, my measured ASG-1 (1.3 rev) show a bass focus in the lower-midbass or lower-bass (depending on driver).  It rolls off slowly after, not a sharp cut-off like Rin shows. 

 

For the midrange, the ASG-2 is very warm in nature and extremely smooth.  This causes an overall warm and smooth timbre over the midrange.  This may be what you found "off" about them.  And you are right to state that coming from the GR07 ;)  I'm not going to hold that against you, I can see why you feel that way.  Same goes for the treble.  It's an issue of different signature that probably doesn't suit you. 

 

______

 

Inks, I know you think adding tweeters to a setup will destroy sub-bass and low-bass and bass in general, but quite honestly, that makes no sense whatsoever. 

 

______

 

I've never seen an IEM drop bass in that fashion, that quickly in measurement...  Unless, there was something wrong with the way the measurement was taken (user or system).  I know from experience my system can't properly seal with an Etymotic triple flange and therefore gets a bass drop off that looks just like the Aurisonics' one.  The other IEM I've done with a drop off like that was a pair of IMego Ztone IEMs.  The full-sized silicone tip has a hole in it by design (thus no seal).  That's the only time I've seen that, personally. 

post #2212 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post

I want to read more but today I'm tired and had a bad day. The clutch cable on the sportbike I was driving disconnected from the lever on my way out from work(first day). I live about 40 miles away. 😐

Thankfully my bro came to my rescue but I had to wait a bit for him to arrive. Then we had no ramp so had to lift the bike into the truck(me/him/friend). Also had to waste bout 17-18 bucks on straps....

Sorry to hear about your bike. Never forget be careful on those things, its not you usually its the guy not paying attention or don't see you that is the problem.

post #2213 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Again, it's not magically going to be identical cause it's the same driver, the whole configuration has changed, not only that the owner and another user clearly noted a lack of subbass. Faulty pair? Usually when it's faulty it's one channel, but both channels show the same exact curvature. 

 

That doesn't really answer my question at all Inks.... You are repeating yourself. I'm asking for your logic or general explanation on exactly how that would occur (you must have some scientific hypothesis on it). You have the two graphs, you know how the configuration has changed. Surely there is a reason why the subbass would be that negatively affected by adding dual tweeters with resistors. I've already said I'm no expert and that I just don't see how that would occur. And it seems Aurisonics shares my confusion here, too.


Edited by kyuuketsuki - 7/31/13 at 11:21pm
post #2214 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Again, it's not magically going to be identical cause it's the same driver, the whole configuration has changed, not only that the owner and another user clearly noted a lack of subbass. Faulty pair? Usually when it's faulty it's one channel, but both channels show the same exact curvature. 

Ok now I have to chime in for the sake of fairness.

1. A couple of users say they lack subbass, a couple more say it doesn't. This will get us nowhere and is hardly a basis for any argument. And one of those users is the owner of the measured pair that is being contested so that needs to be taken into account.

2. Even in those measurements, there is hardly a lack of subbass. If anything there is an abundance in of 150-1k region. A drop from a huge bump is not the same as rolloff. Relatively, it could cause problems when a track hits everything just so. A rolloff IMO should be considered such from the more or less average levels of the sound.

3. You have to admit that a 10db difference below 100hz could be caused by some possible issue somewhere, as opposed to just not being one at all.

Personally, besides all that, I'm still marveling at the impedance curve lol.
Edited by vwinter - 7/31/13 at 11:24pm
post #2215 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 


You're always free to show dissatisfaction.  I know I have in the past, you do get ragged for it quite a bit and it's unfortunate.  I still feel there is something off with the measurements.  Could be the IEM, or a number of other factors.  When I auditioned the two (ASG-1 and ASG-2) I found the bass of both similar if not exactly the same (depending on where the bass port was set to).  They had the same focus and pattern of decay.  The main difference, really the only difference, was the treble.  That said, my measured ASG-1 (1.3 rev) show a bass focus in the lower-midbass or lower-bass (depending on driver).  It rolls off slowly after, not a sharp cut-off like Rin shows. 

 

For the midrange, the ASG-2 is very warm in nature and extremely smooth.  This causes an overall warm and smooth timbre over the midrange.  This may be what you found "off" about them.  And you are right to state that coming from the GR07 ;)  I'm not going to hold that against you, I can see why you feel that way.  Same goes for the treble.  It's an issue of different signature that probably doesn't suit you. 

 

______

 

Inks, I know you think adding tweeters to a setup will destroy sub-bass and low-bass and bass in general, but quite honestly, that makes no sense whatsoever. 

 

______

 

I've never seen an IEM drop bass in that fashion, that quickly in measurement...  Unless, there was something wrong with the way the measurement was taken (user or system).  I know from experience my system can't properly seal with an Etymotic triple flange and therefore gets a bass drop off that looks just like the Aurisonics' one.  The other IEM I've done with a drop off like that was a pair of IMego Ztone IEMs.  The full-sized silicone tip has a hole in it by design (thus no seal).  That's the only time I've seen that, personally. 

 

It's sealed well, Rin double checked. How will you explain gnarlsagan's impression that matched? Well, unless Rin analyses ASG1, it's a subject that goes nowhere for now. I will get to hear this and confirm or disprove the graph.
post #2216 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

 

That doesn't really answer my question at all Inks.... You are repeating yourself. I'm asking for your logic or general explanation on exactly how that would occur (you must have some scientific hypothesis on it). You have the two graphs, you know how the configuration has changed. Surely there is a reason why the subbass would be that negatively affected by adding dual tweeters with resistors. I've already said I'm no expert and that I just don't see how that would occur. And it seems Aurisonics shares my confusion here, too.

 

Could it have something to do with not having any crossovers in the design (mixing frequencies from the dynamic and BA drivers?).

post #2217 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Reference Monitors from UE (quickly auditioned by me thanks to James444) sounded dead clean, neutral BUT soooooooo boring and lifeless that i would not take them.

 

Ha, didn't you say they sounded a 1000 times better than your TF10s, which in turn are considered fun sounding IEMs? 

 

You and Eke would make best friends when it comes to rankings. wink.gif

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

NB: i auditioned UE RM for short time thanks to James444 using my RWAK and i found UE RM being one of most neutral and accurate IEMs i have heard. what i did not care for though was dull presentation and less analogue feel to the sound.

 

You need to upgrade your source. very_evil_smiley.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

no, i was told this is the biggest friend of James444 biggrin.gif

 

Your chances of ever getting an ASG-2 audition have just plummeted to an all-time low. ksc75smile.gif

post #2218 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

It's sealed well, Rin double checked. How will you explain gnarlsagan's impression that matched? Well, unless Rin analyses ASG1, it's a subject that goes nowhere for now. I will get to hear this and confirm or disprove the graph.

It's true. My impressions of the bass match what has been graphed by Rin. I heard the ER4S to have more sub-bass compared to mid-bass.
post #2219 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Could it have something to do with not having any crossovers in the design (mixing frequencies from the dynamic and BA drivers?).

If anything it would be an electrical issue, not overlapping frequencies. Unless there is some law of physics I am not logically understanding. (very possible biggrin.gif)
post #2220 of 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post


Are you going to address the measurements dale?

Not really... As I have found in over 20 years of audio engineering and testing, slight nuances in the way something is tested will cause vast anomalies or differences to occur.  People perceive sound differently from person to person and from ear to ear depending on the seal you get, fit, cables, sound source and at least a hundred other variables also. Everyone has an opinion and that is perfectly fine.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)