or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) - Page 11

post #151 of 6720
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

I think he was referring to gnarl, which would be just as bad given that he's an expert at deep Ety insertion

 

Yes, I was referring to the guy who sold his ASG-2. I didn't assume that was (in fact) the issue (which is why I didn't mention it to him). It's just that the symptoms (as described) sounded similar to those resulting from a bad seal. I have no idea who is an expert at seals and who isn't.

post #152 of 6720

Yes it is tough coming from an ER4. I was looking for something a little different but not too different, and the ASG-2 is definitely too different. I played with a ton of eq settings to try and improve it. With the bass port completely closed, I'd raise the sub-bass below 80hZ ~3dB, raise the mids at 2-3kHz ~3dB, and drop the 7-8kHz range ~3-4dB. Nothing too major, which shows how close the ASG-2 is to a more linear signature imo. For what it's worth there were tracks that sounded better on the ASG-2 than on the ER4S to my ears.

 

As per questions on the quality of my set, they were held at Aurisonics until Dale himself was able to approve them for shipment. That was the reason they took an extra week. I have no doubt the tweeters are in working order, and the sound is normal. It's my own personal preference that iems follow a diffuse field reference a bit more closely than the ASG-2 does. I wonder what kind of reference is used by Aurisonics' and all the other companies' iems with non-linear frequency responses.  

post #153 of 6720
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

 

Yes, I was referring to the guy who sold his ASG-2. I didn't assume that was (in fact) the issue (which is why I didn't mention it to him). It's just that the symptoms (as described) sounded similar to those resulting from a bad seal. I have no idea who is an expert at seals and who isn't.

 

It's perfectly possible that what he feels is a good seal may not be.  I know when the B2 was originally released, many who felt they had a good seal really didn't when tested against the Sensaphonics Seal Test.  Regardless of how I feel about a seal, I still use that test to ensure it is what I feel it is.

post #154 of 6720
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

It's perfectly possible that what he feels is a good seal may not be.  I know when the B2 was originally released, many who felt they had a good seal really didn't when tested against the Sensaphonics Seal Test.  Regardless of how I feel about a seal, I still use that test to ensure it is what I feel it is.

I think he cleared up the whole thing in the post before yours.

post #155 of 6720
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

My sincerest apologies redface.gif

 

I'm actually struggling to compare the Flat-4 and ASG-2. They're so different.

 

Maybe by midnight (central us time).

 

Hm I wonder what would have happened if Dale chose to do with the dual dynamics instead of the hybrid design...? 

post #156 of 6720
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

I think he cleared up the whole thing in the post before yours.

And the birds passed eachother in the air towards destinations that would soon not be.

It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

My sincerest apologies redface.gif


I'm actually struggling to compare the Flat-4 and ASG-2. They're so different.

Maybe by midnight (central us time).

I'm actually anticipating that one a lot specifically because they're so different. Are you planning to do a separate review for the Flat4 and the IE800?
Edited by vwinter - 5/23/13 at 7:57pm
post #157 of 6720
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

 

Hm I wonder what would have happened if Dale chose to do with the dual dynamics instead of the hybrid design...? 

 

We'll never know my friend...  We'll never know.  The BAs may not have dropped though :p  I think it might be a little tough to have a dynamic drop :p  Dale did say BAs are extremely delicate (directionally).

post #158 of 6720

As an aside, I wasn't the luck sumgun who got Gnarls' ASG-2, but if there's anybody else that has a set with the adjustable bass vent that wants to unload 'em, shoot me a PM. 

 

Which brings me to a good-natured prod at our Aurisonics guys to get these bad boys on the market ASAP: 

 

 

 

:)

post #159 of 6720
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

It's perfectly possible that what he feels is a good seal may not be.  I know when the B2 was originally released, many who felt they had a good seal really didn't when tested against the Sensaphonics Seal Test.  Regardless of how I feel about a seal, I still use that test to ensure it is what I feel it is.

 

Although I am probably one of the biggest proponents of good fit, your post challenged me to give it one last go before I send these off tomorrow. So I tried the Auvio tips. Wow. Much better fit and the sibilance on Pretty Hate Machine is definitely reduced. Even Jeff Buckley has very little sibilance now, along with Freddie on Another One Bites the Dust (a really good test track). It's still present, but decreased quite noticeably. I completely admit I must have had a poor fit with some odd resonance accentuating 7-8kHz. It was pretty bad. What's weird is that I tried every tip besides the Auvio tips, thinking it wouldn't make much of a difference.  

 

My other observations about the general sound signature stand, as the mid-bass and mids are unchanged, but I'm really glad to get the treble evened out a bit. I would still place the ASG-2's 8kHz as a little more pronounced than the ER4S, however. 

 

Learn from my mistake and go through every tip you have people!


Edited by gnarlsagan - 5/23/13 at 8:27pm
post #160 of 6720

Yep, I also felt that the asg-2 did not have enough sub-bass/mid-bass ratio.  The ports only affected midbass, and sub-bass was really weak.  Other than that, everything else was fine, but I knew I wouldn't be able to live with that midbass so I passed on them. 

post #161 of 6720
Thread Starter 

Flat-4 added to 2nd post.

post #162 of 6720
That was awesome. I read it twice.

An IEM that demands an open door to the soul. And a write up that's a window into it.
post #163 of 6720
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

 

Although I am probably one of the biggest proponents of good fit, your post challenged me to give it one last go before I send these off tomorrow. So I tried the Auvio tips. Wow. Much better fit and the sibilance on Pretty Hate Machine is definitely reduced. Even Jeff Buckley has very little sibilance now, along with Freddie on Another One Bites the Dust (a really good test track). It's still present, but decreased quite noticeably. I completely admit I must have had a poor fit with some odd resonance accentuating 7-8kHz. It was pretty bad. What's weird is that I tried every tip besides the Auvio tips, thinking it wouldn't make much of a difference.  

 

My other observations about the general sound signature stand, as the mid-bass and mids are unchanged, but I'm really glad to get the treble evened out a bit. I would still place the ASG-2's 8kHz as a little more pronounced than the ER4S, however. 

 

Learn from my mistake and go through every tip you have people!

 

Glad I could help :p

post #164 of 6720
Will u be comparing them to Shure's new SE 846 eke?
post #165 of 6720
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post

Will u be comparing them to Shure's new SE 846 eke?

 

There might be an opportunity in the somewhat distant future. Not anytime soon though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

That was awesome. I read it twice.

An IEM that demands an open door to the soul. And a write up that's a window into it.

beerchug.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)