or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) - Page 90

post #1336 of 6743
I have an ASG-2 coming in a couple weeks. I am currently just using an iPhone 4s for portable listening. Now I'm thinking about what I might want to pair with the eventual ASG-2. I definitely plan on going through this thread and read about what people have used with the ASG-2. Amps nowadays do pack a punch and for most IEMs it's not completely necessary but then the designers are also covering the need to drive less efficient IEMs and headphones. What would you consider an amp meeting the requirements of this IEM? My past amps/DAPs have been the cMoyBB, HM-601, PotraDAC MyST 1866, Portaphile 627, RWAK100 and 2Stepdance. I'm thinking of going the DAP route vs iPhone + amp but not sure. Good thing is I have a couple weeks to read up on this before my ASG-2 arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I don't agree with the statement: 'an amp is definitely necessary'. 

The ASG-2 isn't an easy earphone to drive, but it isn't hard, either. Modern hard ware, especially the likes of iPod nano 7 or so, should render all the resolution this earphone needs- unless you are keen on more distortion. In which case, I have no argument. Plus, there are very few amps that meet the necessary requirements of earphones such as these.Those amps seem to have seen their heyday back in 2007 or so. Recently, amps are aimed at higher Ω earphones/headphones. 

 voltage/volume: no doubt you will get more with an amp. Absolute resolution/sound quality (actual, not figurative) is NOT a given with an amp. 
post #1337 of 6743
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

.. Everyone loves the AS/G-2's bass.. but too many of you guys are sleeping on the sexy midrange and airy, open treble. If I had one tuning recco to Dale, it would be to flatten the majority of the (mid and lower mid) bass frequencies further (even with the port closed) & goose up the sub bass (<80 hz) a bit. That's literally all I would change as far as tuning... but I still find them immensely satisfying as is... even with the just-arrived JH13Pro FP "elbowing through the club."

 

I agree entirely - re-focusing the mid-bass boost & port to the 60Hz-ish is all I would change, but even without that they're still the most capable and cost-effective IEM I've had the privilege to own.

post #1338 of 6743
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

I have an ASG-2 coming in a couple weeks. I am currently just using an iPhone 4s for portable listening. Now I'm thinking about what I might want to pair with the eventual ASG-2. I definitely plan on going through this thread and read about what people have used with the ASG-2. Amps nowadays do pack a punch and for most IEMs it's not completely necessary but then the designers are also covering the need to drive less efficient IEMs and headphones. What would you consider an amp meeting the requirements of this IEM? My past amps/DAPs have been the cMoyBB, HM-601, PotraDAC MyST 1866, Portaphile 627, RWAK100 and 2Stepdance. I'm thinking of going the DAP route vs iPhone + amp but not sure. Good thing is I have a couple weeks to read up on this before my ASG-2 arrives.

If you just HAD to get an amp, pick up a T1. If you wanted something else, an International. But, honestly, an amp isn't necessary. The iPhone 4 has a very good output. What you will get is only louder volume at 200% past what your ears can even input. It's not 2005 any more, where players sucked balls. 

post #1339 of 6743
Agreed, iPhone is a good sounding music player. Transparency and clarity galore. Call me crazy but I like the 4s over my iPod 5.5. A reason for me to get an amp is that the headphone section of the iPhone doesn't compete with other amps when considering the more refined aspects of sound that audiophiles look for. Taking decibels out of the equation, different amps like the Portaphile 627 do provide texture, width/depth, and weight at the low range over what the iPhone headphone section can do. There will be times I'll go solo with the 4s and times I'll want an amp for that extra bit of euphoria.

I will put that T1 on my short list of amps to consider. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

If you just HAD to get an amp, pick up a T1. If you wanted something else, an International. But, honestly, an amp isn't necessary. The iPhone 4 has a very good output. What you will get is only louder volume at 200% past what your ears can even input. It's not 2005 any more, where players sucked balls. 
post #1340 of 6743

+1

 

I use my iPhone 4S with my ASG2 when I am out running or at the gym and to be honest there really isnt a requirement for them to be amped. The iPhone 4S is a very good DAP (bearing in mind its a phone at the end of the day) and drives the ASG2 to a decent level of volume.

 

I only amp the ASG2 when I connect my iPhone to my Solo / Rx3 rig to utilise a better DAC if I want more critical listening. Other than that my ASG2 get used with my Stock AK100 and again to my ears they pair very well with this and do not require a seperate amp.

 

I would say get te ASG2 and try them direct from your iPhone before making any additional purchases towards an Amp.

post #1341 of 6743
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Agreed, iPhone is a good sounding music player. Transparency and clarity galore. Call me crazy but I like the 4s over my iPod 5.5. A reason for me to get an amp is that the headphone section of the iPhone doesn't compete with other amps when considering the more refined aspects of sound that audiophiles look for. Taking decibels out of the equation, different amps like the Portaphile 627 do provide texture, width/depth, and weight at the low range over what the iPhone headphone section can do. There will be times I'll go solo with the 4s and times I'll want an amp for that extra bit of euphoria.

I will put that T1 on my short list of amps to consider. Thanks

Amps are cool beans, but I've yet to find one that competes with the headphone out of a GOOD source. Across the board, a good source will have: lower distortion, higher frequency response quality, and cleaner signal. Now, that may not be your cup of tea. In fact, a lot of people enjoy the more cloudy, distortion-full sound an amp can bring. Really good amps CAN outperform the iPhone 4s, but only if they are connected to a line out that is already better than the headphone out of an iPhone 4s. Good luck finding one. 

 

What comes in is what goes out. You can never exceed the performance of the input signal. Ever. Amps do well in: recovering lost current if a source is low on that. But today, there isn't the same need. If you want to outperform your iPhone 4s, you have to go ALL the way: CLAS and RX or T1 or something. You won't do it just with an amp. Again, a number of amps (even ones that are purported to perform well) don't actually perform better than the iPhone does. 

 

They may sound 'better' to you, but that is 100% subjective. Objective evaluations usually leave mediocre amps in the dust next to decent sources. 

post #1342 of 6743
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Amps are cool beans, but I've yet to find one that competes with the headphone out of a GOOD source. Across the board, a good source will have: lower distortion, higher frequency response quality, and cleaner signal. Now, that may not be your cup of tea. In fact, a lot of people enjoy the more cloudy, distortion-full sound an amp can bring. Really good amps CAN outperform the iPhone 4s, but only if they are connected to a line out that is already better than the headphone out of an iPhone 4s. Good luck finding one. 

What comes in is what goes out. You can never exceed the performance of the input signal. Ever. Amps do well in: recovering lost current if a source is low on that. But today, there isn't the same need. If you want to outperform your iPhone 4s, you have to go ALL the way: CLAS and RX or T1 or something. You won't do it just with an amp. Again, a number of amps (even ones that are purported to perform well) don't actually perform better than the iPhone does. 

They may sound 'better' to you, but that is 100% subjective. Objective evaluations usually leave mediocre amps in the dust next to decent sources. 

Maybe I'm confused here but a source is a source, ie a DAC, and an amp is an amp. If you can plug your headphones into your source, it has an integrated amp so you're still using an amp. Given that, I don't see your argument...?

Except being integrated, what makes it better than any other well designed amp using a line-out?

Just to be clear, I really like the output of my iPhone 4S.
post #1343 of 6743
I tried the CLAS -dB + amp and preferred the 4s + line out to amp. Which one is technically better I can't say but subjectively I preferred one over the other.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Amps are cool beans, but I've yet to find one that competes with the headphone out of a GOOD source. Across the board, a good source will have: lower distortion, higher frequency response quality, and cleaner signal. Now, that may not be your cup of tea. In fact, a lot of people enjoy the more cloudy, distortion-full sound an amp can bring. Really good amps CAN outperform the iPhone 4s, but only if they are connected to a line out that is already better than the headphone out of an iPhone 4s. Good luck finding one. 

What comes in is what goes out. You can never exceed the performance of the input signal. Ever. Amps do well in: recovering lost current if a source is low on that. But today, there isn't the same need. If you want to outperform your iPhone 4s, you have to go ALL the way: CLAS and RX or T1 or something. You won't do it just with an amp. Again, a number of amps (even ones that are purported to perform well) don't actually perform better than the iPhone does. 

They may sound 'better' to you, but that is 100% subjective. Objective evaluations usually leave mediocre amps in the dust next to decent sources. 
post #1344 of 6743
I think he is saying the iPhone as a source with its own headphone amp is better than most iPhone + external amp combos. I would argue that I've tried iPhone + line out to quality amps and subjectively preferred those combos to just the iPhone alone. Some may be able to say technically the iPhone alone whether line out or headphone section is better than adding an external amp but I'm not willing to say that the iPhone headphone section is better in regards to soundstage, weight, and texture. I'm willing to live with the small technical knocks for things that matter more to me.

Hopefully this isn't too distracting to the thread. I'm just making a list of possible amps to be used with the ASG-2.

I should expand as well and say that I am also thinking about a portable DAC for my laptop.

Portable: iPhone 4s + amp?
Work: Laptop + DAC? + amp?



Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Maybe I'm confused here but a source is a source, ie a DAC, and an amp is an amp. If you can plug your headphones into your source, it has an integrated amp so you're still using an amp. Given that, I don't see your argument...?

Except being integrated, what makes it better than any other well designed amp using a line-out?

Just to be clear, I really like the output of my iPhone 4S.
post #1345 of 6743
Thread Starter 
I'd be lying if I said that I've heard any amp offer an improvement over my iPhone 4. The iPhones have proven to be great sources, and the amp sections are equally good unless you want to drive orthos or 300 ohm headphones. I spent last night listening to the iP4 vs the iP4-LOD-Tralucent T1, and the T1 really didn't offer an improvement to my ears. I'm not saying that its not a great amp, it's just a testament to how good the iPhone is as a source.

The ASG-2 will sound great directly from your iPhone. I just wish I got to try it out with my Asgard, but it got stolen before the 3.5 to 6.5 adapter came in.
post #1346 of 6743
Thanks, I think all three of you guys today have convinced me not to buy anything new until I hear the ASG-2 with my iPhone 4s. Money saved beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

I'd be lying if I said that I've heard any amp offer an improvement over my iPhone 4. The iPhones have proven to be great sources, and the amp sections are equally good unless you want to drive orthos or 300 ohm headphones. I spent last night listening to the iP4 vs the iP4-LOD-Tralucent T1, and the T1 really didn't offer an improvement to my ears. I'm not saying that its not a great amp, it's just a testament to how good the iPhone is as a source.

The ASG-2 will sound great directly from your iPhone. I just wish I got to try it out with my Asgard, but it got stolen before the 3.5 to 6.5 adapter came in.
post #1347 of 6743
I've always been a fan of shig not pushin amps and DACs in his reviews, and I've generally found what he says to be true. Most of the phones I've tried that he recommends, sound just fantastic straight out of an iPhone
post #1348 of 6743

I used the following set up... Cowon J3>Arrow 4G>ASG-1. I heard an improvement, but that was because I had the Arrow set on Treble I. As great as the ASG-1s were they needed help in the Treble, the Arrow helped with that without me having to go into the settings menu and allowed me better ease of access for Treble and Bass boosts and control.

 

I'm probably going to continue using this set up because I see no need to take out the Arrow. But I don't feel that it *needs* the extra power. I'll probably A/B anyway though just for the heck of it. 

post #1349 of 6743
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Amps are cool beans, but I've yet to find one that competes with the headphone out of a GOOD source. Across the board, a good source will have: lower distortion, higher frequency response quality, and cleaner signal. Now, that may not be your cup of tea. In fact, a lot of people enjoy the more cloudy, distortion-full sound an amp can bring. Really good amps CAN outperform the iPhone 4s, but only if they are connected to a line out that is already better than the headphone out of an iPhone 4s. Good luck finding one. 

What comes in is what goes out. You can never exceed the performance of the input signal. Ever. Amps do well in: recovering lost current if a source is low on that. But today, there isn't the same need. If you want to outperform your iPhone 4s, you have to go ALL the way: CLAS and RX or T1 or something. You won't do it just with an amp. Again, a number of amps (even ones that are purported to perform well) don't actually perform better than the iPhone does. 

They may sound 'better' to you, but that is 100% subjective. Objective evaluations usually leave mediocre amps in the dust next to decent sources. 
And do you think DAPs such as dx100, Ak120 901 doe bring a significant differnce over the iphone 4s?
post #1350 of 6743
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I don't agree with the statement: 'an amp is definitely necessary'. 

The ASG-2 isn't an easy earphone to drive, but it isn't hard, either. Modern hardware, especially the likes of iPod nano 7 or so, should render all the resolution this earphone needs- unless you are keen on more distortion. In which case, I have no argument. Plus, there are very few amps that meet the necessary requirements of earphones such as these. Those amps seem to have seen their heyday back in 2007 or so. Recently, amps are aimed at higher Ω earphones/headphones. 

 voltage/volume: no doubt you will get more with an amp. Absolute resolution/sound quality (actual, not figurative) is NOT a given with an amp. 

Well my set isn't burned in, but for some reason they sounded slightly harsher out of my iPhone, and somewhat more full from my C421.
Either way, they drained the battery of my phone unlike any other of my current IEMs, so it's better off with an amp.

Oh, and I owe you one flysweep, I think I read your tip on the audio tips in the re-400 thread. They are definitely the best yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)