New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reccomendations please - Page 2

post #16 of 31
Thread Starter 

Wasnt a bother, no need to be sorry. Thanks once again!

post #17 of 31
Thread Starter 

Narrowed it down(I think biggrin.gif) to:

PSB M4U 1 - reviews sound awesome to me!

AKG 551 - they got my treble! kinda pricy tho

Philips Citiscape Uptown - my back up plan if I want to use less money on HPs and spend some money on DAC and amp

V-MODA Crossfade M-100 - the uber bassy part is kinda annoying, but still considering them. and they look SEXY rolleyes.gif

Sony MDR-1R - they also seem great overall

Sennheiser Momentum - the problem is pricing.. Im also interested in buying an amp and DAC.. gahhhh

 

This stuff really isnt easy huh.. THANK GOD for head-fi!! biggrin.gif

post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianafrican View Post

Narrowed it down(I think biggrin.gif
) to:

PSB M4U 1 - reviews sound awesome to me!

AKG 551 - they got my treble! kinda pricy tho

Philips Citiscape Uptown - my back up plan if I want to use less money on HPs and spend some money on DAC and amp

V-MODA Crossfade M-100 - the uber bassy part is kinda annoying, but still considering them. and they look SEXY 
rolleyes.gif

Sony MDR-1R - they also seem great overall

Sennheiser Momentum - the problem is pricing.. Im also interested in buying an amp and DAC.. gahhhh


This stuff really isnt easy huh.. THANK GOD for head-fi!! 
biggrin.gif

From your list above , my IMO I choose two headphones :

VModa M 100 black mate like mine and Anakchan

Sennheiser Momentum

Please see thread VModa M100 , Anakchan sold his Momentum and bought VModa M 100

VModa M100 SQ is very good in their price range until $ 400 Usd

The build quality is the best from all your list above

Direct IPod sound quality very good

Cheers

Rudi
post #19 of 31
Thread Starter 

So from the list, the M-100 are the best for treble as well? 

post #20 of 31

When my local Microcenter had the V-Moda M-100 for audition, I tried them out.  This was a long time ago, so please take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

 

They were very muffled sounding on practically every track on an iPod classic (4th gen?).  The bitrates of the MP3's varied between 192 Kbps-320 Kbps.

 

The tracks weren't anything new, mostly The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, and others..

 

The whole spectrum felt as if it were veiled, VERY veiled.  Like the artists were still behind the covers playing the music.  As I remember the Beats Studio had less veil... No idea why!

 

Maybe Microcenter had a secret agenda, or the headphones had something seriously wrong with them.

 

They felt solid and looked good, and were comfortable.

 

I'm just going to put out the A900X because it was the best closed headphone investment I have made, going to take a lot more than $99 (They go for around $140-$180 normally) to find a better sounding headphone.

 

The A900X is working wonders with the Walkman Z I purchased (~$120).

post #21 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post

When my local Microcenter had the V-Moda M-100 for audition, I tried them out.  This was a long time ago, so please take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

 

They were very muffled sounding on practically every track on an iPod classic (4th gen?).  The bitrates of the MP3's varied between 192 Kbps-320 Kbps.

 

The tracks weren't anything new, mostly The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, and others..

 

The whole spectrum felt as if it were veiled, VERY veiled.  Like the artists were still behind the covers playing the music.  As I remember the Beats Studio had less veil... No idea why!

 

Maybe Microcenter had a secret agenda, or the headphones had something seriously wrong with them.

 

They felt solid and looked good, and were comfortable.

 

I'm just going to put out the A900X because it was the best closed headphone investment I have made, going to take a lot more than $99 (They go for around $140-$180 normally) to find a better sounding headphone.

 

The A900X is working wonders with the Walkman Z I purchased (~$120).

Really? This is new xD Ill keep that in mind then I guess. 

Im not calling you a liar or anything, but from at least 90% of the stuff Ive read about the M-100s, Ive heard mostly great stuff. Sure they talk about the sharp V shaped curve and the shallow earpads, but thats mostly it! But Ill keep it in mind nonetheless

post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianafrican View Post

Really? This is new xD Ill keep that in mind then I guess. 

Im not calling you a liar or anything, but from at least 90% of the stuff Ive read about the M-100s, Ive heard mostly great stuff. Sure they talk about the sharp V shaped curve and the shallow earpads, but thats mostly it! But Ill keep it in mind nonetheless

Yeah they were definitely V-shaped, the iPod probably did not do them justice.

 

I don't remember shallow earpads though.

post #23 of 31
Thread Starter 

Ive only heard about it. Thats why V-MODA is trying to make new earcups that are better and all. 

Honestly Im thinking more the the PSB, Phillips, AKG and the Sony the most. But heck who knows what Ill buy.. I just need to pick. Which is the hard part. Thanks though

post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianafrican View Post

Sorry for starting a new thread for all of you that don't exactly like newbies  (such as myself) starting new threads that to you seem all the same. But here goes atsmile.gif


As mentioned, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this. The best I've ever had is a Sony MDR-ZX600 and i messed up the wires those in less than a month by mistake. Now I'm tired of breaking earphones and headphones that just waste my money and barely last a year. My budget is around $300 ($350 max) and I'm planning on buying over the summer. The thing is, if I was dedicated to one genre I'd just read the other reviews and pick a pair, but I'm not xP I like music a various genres (reason is too long and bothersome to put into words and typebiggrin.gif
). Just fyi if it helps, I listen to Korean and English music

My Genres:

RnB (mostly Korean like K.Will but definitely some english ones)

Soul

Rock (metal, grunge, post-grunge, pop, alternative, punk, indie)

Hiphop/Rap

House
Dubstep (not too much)
Jazz
Blues
Pop
Classic (mostly Piano or guitar)

So far I'm thinking of:
AKG: K551, K267
Audio-Technica: ATH-WS99, ATH-M50, ATH-ANC9, ATH-ES700
Sennheiser: RS170, RS 180, HD 438, Momentum (Black)
Denon: AH-D340, AH-D2000 (if i can find any), AH-D320, AH-D1100
Ultrasone: HFI-2400
V-MODA: Crossfade M-100, Crossfade LP2

Its not limited to that list. Those are the ones I know of. Feel free to reccomend any others.

I use my Samsung Galaxy S2 as my device, and I agree with many others that it could've been A LOT better.. but Im stuck with it until next year or so. I also have an iPad (4th gen, 64gb) but I mostly use my phone since the iPad isnt the most portable. So Im thinking of purchasing a portable DAC&Amp combo if I can manage within my budget. Should I start using my iPad more? If I do, should I try the Icon iDo from Nu Force?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I need as much of it as possible

Thanks in advance!! beyersmile.png
What kind of sound signature are you looking for? Emphasized highs, mids, lower mids, sub bass. Play around with an eq a little.

The WS99 I think is great for all genres, but best for R&B and bassier genres. I only have two problems with them:
The highs-Not as balanced with the mid-range as I'd like.
Comfort-more like on ear headphones

The highs are recessed, mids slightly emphasized, bass very emphasized. It's veeery good bass though.

The Fidelio L1 and MDR 1R also come to mind. Fidelio l1 is u-shaped, and the 1r has emphasized smooth bass, not super impactful like the ws99, just smooth. Nice for jazz and whatnot.

I'll be getting the focal spirit one soon (tommorow) so ill compare.

The WS99 is also the clearest, and it feels like its technically better than most cans out there.
post #25 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post


What kind of sound signature are you looking for? Emphasized highs, mids, lower mids, sub bass. Play around with an eq a little.

The WS99 I think is great for all genres, but best for R&B and bassier genres. I only have two problems with them:
The highs-Not as balanced with the mid-range as I'd like.
Comfort-more like on ear headphones

The highs are recessed, mids slightly emphasized, bass very emphasized. It's veeery good bass though.

The Fidelio L1 and MDR 1R also come to mind. Fidelio l1 is u-shaped, and the 1r has emphasized smooth bass, not super impactful like the ws99, just smooth. Nice for jazz and whatnot.

I'll be getting the focal spirit one soon (tommorow) so ill compare.

The WS99 is also the clearest, and it feels like its technically better than most cans out there.

I think I prefer it balanced since I go through so many genres. I like more treble, but not too much. 

From what you've given me, I think I like the MDR-1Rs. But please share after some time with the focal sprint ones. 

Thanks for the insight.

post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianafrican View Post

I think I prefer it balanced since I go through so many genres. I like more treble, but not too much. 
From what you've given me, I think I like the MDR-1Rs. But please share after some time with the focal sprint ones. 
Thanks for the insight.

I will. Funny thing, I bought them today with one day shipping. The package is coming from Vegas and I live in Philly! Crazy.
post #27 of 31
Oh, and I like my ma900 more than the others. Consider them too.
post #28 of 31

The DT770 is built like a tank, that should definitely last a long time.
The A900x looks very promising. Don't know about the build quality but graphs show the SQ to be quite nice.
I have the m50 and I can tell you the very last thing that would break is the wiring. That stuff is heavy duty man. The headphone itself has decent build quality, and it does sound great.

post #29 of 31
WS99's are balanced well. K267's are also nicely balanced but not very portable. Neither really need amping but responds well to it.
post #30 of 31

Well, I found that the ws99 is pretty much good at everything except rock.  Its not bad, just not great.  MA900 would be my top recommendation due to comfort and sound.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home