Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why the Beats Hate?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why the Beats Hate? - Page 32

post #466 of 1667

It would've been better to link it so others don't need to find it.

post #467 of 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveGrado View Post

oh we are on CNN.com on a piece by Todd Leopold: How Beats Headphone Changed The Audio World

Lol. That's pretty cool.

post #468 of 1667

 

Interesting read! Thanks

post #469 of 1667
Oh yes, I would've done it but was not sure about the forum policy on linking to external site.
post #470 of 1667

The best argument against Beats is a five minute conversation with the sort of Beats Solo/Studio owner who yells "Yolo!" half the time, but has never actually tried anything else aside from (mostly) the earbuds that came with a bunch of stuff that they own or owned.

post #471 of 1667

That's one weird perception of "best".

post #472 of 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
 

That's one weird perception of "best".

 

Regardless, it speaks to their marketing department's effectiveness. I never had an opinion on Beats other than that I'm probably paying for Dr Dre's name, which isn't always wrong because I'd buy a guitar with some guy's signature on it (and not play it often to keep my sweat off the ink) and that I've got friends who are brand ambassadors for AT and now Philips Fidelio locally. Then I got my ********* cousin go off about how awesome Beats are (he's never heard them), and then on to a tirade of why he would pay only $90 for an ugly POS (AT M50) when he can spend $400 (local price for the Studios) for something he knows celebrities use. Which sucks on all levels because he probably votes that way too, and that's how politicians here campaign as well - unlike in the US where celebs tend to know what the heck their parties are about, wrong or right, over here they just have starlets go up on stage and sing then a veteran actor holds up their hands.

 

And that's also why I phrased it that way, because that's Churchill's take on a critique of democracy. That's why a few million ******* put this guy in our Senate:


Edited by ProtegeManiac - 1/15/14 at 7:40am
post #473 of 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

 

Regardless, it speaks to their marketing department's effectiveness. I never had an opinion on Beats other than that I'm probably paying for Dr Dre's name, which isn't always wrong because I'd buy a guitar with some guy's signature on it (and not play it often to keep my sweat off the ink) and that I've got friends who are brand ambassadors for AT and now Philips Fidelio locally. Then I got my ********* cousin go off about how awesome Beats are (he's never heard them), and then on to a tirade of why he would pay only $90 for an ugly POS (AT M50) when he can spend $400 (local price for the Studios) for something he knows celebrities use. Which sucks on all levels because he probably votes that way too, and that's how politicians here campaign as well - unlike in the US where celebs tend to know what the heck their parties are about, wrong or right, over here they just have starlets go up on stage and sing then a veteran actor holds up their hands.

 

And that's also why I phrased it that way, because that's Churchill's take on a critique of democracy. That's why a few million ******* put this guy in our Senate:

 

I'd only pay $90 for an ATH-M50, but only $45 on a pair of Beats. They're toys, after all.

 

I think the Beats were designed quite well. Foldable hinges, detachable cable, and the earcups swivel on the x and y axis with much mobility, ensuring an "iconic fit". The noise cancelling is mediocre, but just good enough for untrained ears to think it's working, and the Beats sound signature is not meant to be good, but align to the average consumer's (not audiophile's) definition of good.

 

All in all, Beats weren't meant to be a headphone. It was intended to be a fashion accessory and social statement for those who could afford it. And judging from all the hate it is getting, it's doing pretty well.

post #474 of 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

Regardless, it speaks to their marketing department's effectiveness. I never had an opinion on Beats other than that I'm probably paying for Dr Dre's name, which isn't always wrong because I'd buy a guitar with some guy's signature on it (and not play it often to keep my sweat off the ink) and that I've got friends who are brand ambassadors for AT and now Philips Fidelio locally. Then I got my ********* cousin go off about how awesome Beats are (he's never heard them), and then on to a tirade of why he would pay only $90 for an ugly POS (AT M50) when he can spend $400 (local price for the Studios) for something he knows celebrities use. Which sucks on all levels because he probably votes that way too, and that's how politicians here campaign as well - unlike in the US where celebs tend to know what the heck their parties are about, wrong or right, over here they just have starlets go up on stage and sing then a veteran actor holds up their hands.

And that's also why I phrased it that way, because that's Churchill's take on a critique of democracy. That's why a few million ******* put this guy in our Senate:


What is your friend had a few things in his purchase important to him. Things like a hard case because he travels a lot. And because he travels a lot he may want ANC because screaming babies can be a pain on a plane. And he could want a detachable cable because, well almost everyone does given the choice since it won't ruin the phone if the cord gets caught on the side of the table or he steps on it. What if he wanted something a little more streamlined as the M50 are pretty clunky after all for travel, especially since they don't come with a case and don't really fold up so you have to jam them down in the bag you carry.

What if the person has these needs, would you reccomend them the ATH M50? Of course not, and you wouldn't reccomend the beats studios since I just phrased it this way either, but this is why people look at other things than a budget king. Just sayin.
Edited by Minarets - 1/15/14 at 3:57pm
post #475 of 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post


What is your friend had a few things in his purchase important to him. Things like a hard case because he travels a lot. And because he travels a lot he may want ANC because screaming babies can be a pain on a plane. And he could want a detachable cable because, well almost everyone does given the choice since it won't ruin the phone if the cord gets caught on the side of the table or he steps on it. What if he wanted something a little more streamlined as the M50 are pretty clunky after all for travel, especially since they don't come with a case and don't really fold up so you have to jam them down in the bag you carry.

What if the person has these needs, would you reccomend them the ATH M50? Of course not, and you wouldn't reccomend the beats studios since I just phrased it this way either, but this is why people look at other things than a budget king. Just sayin.

 

Not the M50 but I can think of a dozen other things that conform to those requirements: a hardcase on Amazon, local forumer here does custom cables (including detachable conversions), and if active NC was that important there's Sony. And again, if you read my post closely (probably not, because you changed "cousin" to "friend," among the other details) the bigger problem is the condescending attitude of people using Beats, which is why I tolerate the condescending attitude of Head-Fi against it.


Edited by ProtegeManiac - 1/15/14 at 7:19pm
post #476 of 1667
Im in middle school and it bugs me when kids say their Beats are better than my HD 598's and my m50s because they "look better". If you buy headphones for looks you have a serious problem. Lol
post #477 of 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley12345 View Post

Im in middle school and it bugs me when kids say their Beats are better than my HD 598's and my m50s because they "look better". If you buy headphones for looks you have a serious problem. Lol

     I beg to differ...I'd buy the Philips Fidelio X1 ($400, similar to Beats' price range) just because it looks good any day, not knowing whether it sounds good or not (and I tell ya, it sounds gooooooood).

 

Now, take a look at this:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

Beautiful, no?

post #478 of 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

Not the M50 but I can think of a dozen other things that conform to those requirements: a hardcase on Amazon, local forumer here does custom cables (including detachable conversions), and if active NC was that important there's Sony. And again, if you read my post closely (probably not, because you changed "cousin" to "friend," among the other details) the bigger problem is the condescending attitude of people using Beats, which is why I tolerate the condescending attitude of Head-Fi against it.
My point wasn't that you and I would mind to send them off for 2 weeks to have our phones modded, it's that a huuuuuuge majority doesn't want that hassle. You think Joe Average wants to mod his headphones? And wait another 3 days for their slappa hard case to come in?

I spend hours building my golf clubs. It's my hobby, much the same as head fi and headphones are a lot of people on the board. But I don't look at the vast majority of golfers that have clubs ten years old and think less of them....
I don't know it just seems like beats have brought out the blood in this community and people can't let it not bother them that hey exist.
post #479 of 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

     I beg to differ...I'd buy the Philips Fidelio X1 ($400, similar to Beats' price range) just because it looks good any day, not knowing whether it sounds good or not (and I tell ya, it sounds gooooooood).

Now, take a look at this:
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

Beautiful, no?
These are awesome, but they are open. That won't work for the vast majority of beats owners looking for portability.
post #480 of 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post


These are awesome, but they are open. That won't work for the vast majority of beats owners looking for portability.

Oh? Then take a look at these gorgeous BeoPlay H6s then:

It's closed, it's portable, and easy to drive with smartphones. It's got good isolation too, and no leakage as far as I recall. But most of all, it is GOREGOUS. Oh yeah, it's also $399. It's got a flat signature unless you give it a lot of power, in which the bass opens up a lot more.

No further arguments, Your Honor.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why the Beats Hate?