Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking to upgrade from AKG K702
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to upgrade from AKG K702

post #1 of 121
Thread Starter 

Hey there, I've decided to let go of my first 'good cans'.

I'm looking for something with a similar sound signature to the k702's (clear mids, very detailed and quick with sparkly and extensive treble) but I would really like my new set of cans to actually have some low end, soundstage isn't super important but it needs to be fairly big (not like grados).

I listen to nearly everything, I live in Australia and my budget will be around $700 I don't mind buying online, if there's something you can think of but its more than $700 let me know anyway. I'm using an ODAC and an o2 to power. I'd prefer open but I don't really mind, full size please. I already have a set of HD600's, look forward to your responses!

post #2 of 121

The only real upgrade to the K701/Q701 in my opinion is the HD800.

post #3 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

The only real upgrade to the K701/Q701 in my opinion is the HD800.


That's what I was afraid of :(
BTW I saw in your sig you have the Fostex T50RP's, how are they?

post #4 of 121

They are nothing like the Q701. If I rate the Q701 as an 8.5 out of 10, I'd have to rate my T50rp as a 6.5. So far I've had a love/hate relationship with my T50rp. One day I'll like them, and then the next day I can't stand them. I've done so much back and forth modding to them and I just can't get them to where I want them. Compared to the Q701 they sound dark and congested, especially in the lower mids and upper mid-bass. Imaging is very good, but the soundstage is just very small compared to the open Q701. I really think that the only headphone that I would probably like better than my Q701 would be the HD800. Even my once loved Vsonic GR01 (IEM's) don't do it for me anymore.

 

Also, the T50rp like to be played loud, louder than I like to normally listen. At lower volumes they sound very boring to me. At high volume they gain some energy, impact, and dynamics. Meanwhile, my Q701 sounds excellent at low to moderate volume and still shows all the details and dynamic range that I expect. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 View Post


That's what I was afraid of :(
BTW I saw in your sig you have the Fostex T50RP's, how are they?


Edited by jasonb - 5/16/13 at 6:06pm
post #5 of 121
Thread Starter 
Thanks for that, were they any good stock? I've heard people run into some problems modding them, thankyou for the direct comparison between them and the AKG's, yeah the HD800's are sublime I've had a few listens and they really wowed me, was hoping there was something cheaper that might be similar, or at least better than the K702's
post #6 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 View Post

I'm looking for something with a similar sound signature to the k702's (clear mids, very detailed and quick with sparkly and extensive treble) but I would really like my new set of cans to actually have some low end, soundstage isn't super important but it needs to be fairly big (not like grados).

Side-grade to the DT 880s.

 

It isn't really an upgrade but based on what you're looking for, it should've been the mid-fi headphone you got in the first place.


Edited by 3X0 - 5/16/13 at 6:32pm
post #7 of 121

To me they definitely still sound better than they did stock. Out of the box they had no bass, and the treble rolled off very quickly. Basically they were all mid-range, and that mid-range had a lot of ringing. A pad swap increased the bass, and dampening in the cups increased the top end and removed the ringing. If I didn't already have the Q701 I'd probably like the T50rp more, but I just greatly prefer the Q701 to my T50rp. After a 2db bass boost I find the Q701 to be almost perfect, and an extremely good value for what I paid for them. For $380 for the E17 and the Q701 combined I couldn't be happier. For me, it's just hard to listen to anything else after getting used to the Q701. I've given myself a week without them where I just used the T50rp thinking maybe I could get more used to them, but I missed the Q701's sound and upon switching back I was once again in heaven.   

 

Just to clarify, after the 2db bass boost I have absolutely no complaints about the Q701's bass, even when it comes to bass extension. On a song that calls for deep bass, It's definitely there. I am not a basshead though. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 View Post

Thanks for that, were they any good stock? I've heard people run into some problems modding them, thankyou for the direct comparison between them and the AKG's, yeah the HD800's are sublime I've had a few listens and they really wowed me, was hoping there was something cheaper that might be similar, or at least better than the K702's

Edited by jasonb - 5/16/13 at 6:45pm
post #8 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post

Side-grade to the DT 880s.

It isn't really an upgrade but based on what you're looking for, it should've been the mid-fi headphone you got in the first place.

Hrmm, I'll look into them, I've heard they're fatiguing to listen to though, or is that a myth?
post #9 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

To me they definitely still sound better than they did stock. Out of the box they had no bass, and the treble rolled off very quickly. Basically they were all mid-range, and that mid-range had a lot of ringing. A pad swap increased the bass, and dampening in the cups increased the top end and removed the ringing. If I didn't already have the Q701 I'd probably like the T50rp more, but I just greatly prefer the Q701 to my T50rp. After a 2db bass boost I find the Q701 to be almost perfect, and an extremely good value for what I paid for them. For $380 for the E17 and the Q701 combined I couldn't be happier. For me, it's just hard to listen to anything else after getting used to the Q701. I've given myself a week without them where I just used the T50rp thinking maybe I could get more used to them, but I missed the Q701's sound and upon switching back I was once again in heaven.   

 

Just to clarify, after the 2db bass boost I have absolutely no complaints about the Q701's bass, even when it comes to bass extension. On a song that calls for deep bass, It's definitely there. I am not a basshead though. 

hrmmm, you know i literally didn't even consider EQ'ing to boost the bass, I might try that,  I'm facepalming right now that I didn't even think of that.

 

On a side note, a few people have suggested Hifiman HE-500's, anybody got experience with these compared the AKG x70x?

post #10 of 121

They are 2 different headphones. Should be quite apparent when reading reviews. You could consider the k712 pads when they become available (are they available?) to elevate the bass response and for better comfort too. I'm sure it would be worth it.

post #11 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

They are 2 different headphones. Should be quite apparent when reading reviews. You could consider the k712 pads when they become available (are they available?) to elevate the bass response and for better comfort too. I'm sure it would be worth it.

Why is this the first time I'm hearing about the k712?!?! I just had a quick look and I likey, is it just a 702 with different pads or is it actually different?
post #12 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 View Post


Why is this the first time I'm hearing about the k712?!?! I just had a quick look and I likey, is it just a 702 with different pads or is it actually different?


Different pads, most likely. And different color scheme/design. So, buy pads, have 2 headphones!! It's magic

post #13 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 View Post


Why is this the first time I'm hearing about the k712?!?! I just had a quick look and I likey, is it just a 702 with different pads or is it actually different?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/akg-k712-pro-announced

post #14 of 121

Get one of the SPL amps and your AKG will shine in a different light...of course you can upgrade your DAC as well. k701smile.gif

post #15 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 View Post

Hrmm, I'll look into them, I've heard they're fatiguing to listen to though, or is that a myth?
No more fatiguing than the Q701 to these ears. They have the sparkle, treble extension and rich bass, and sound like exactly what you need.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking to upgrade from AKG K702