- 94 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
- brandGradotagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
- categoryHeadphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
Related Forum Threads
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice on headphones to compliment my Q701. (<200$) Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon AH-D2000, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm, Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm, AKG Q701, used... Last post on 12/6/12 at 11:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG Q701 vs. Sony's XB1000 - Which to splash out on? Last post on 9/9/11 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought these (at £150) expecting much but was shocked by how far they fell short of even competency. They are very uncomfortable, badly designed and the sound is really nothing special. Whatever...
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
Best Headphones for low volume listening?post #1 of 405/15/13 at 3:17amThread StarterThe latest thread on this topic was from 2006 so I figured it would be good to bring up this topic again. Like me, im sure many of you are concerned about your hearing. Without our ears we can not fully enjoy this hobby. As I get older I get more concerned and low level listening has become a major factor in the headphones I consider. I have heard great comments about the PS1000 and the ultrasone cans. From everyone's experience or knowledge what are some good cans for safe low level listening?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 405/15/13 at 4:03am
First thing that comes to mind are grados. But since they are completely open it is not really good in noisy places though their sound is still very lively and fun at low levels.post #3 of 405/15/13 at 5:14amThread Starterpost #4 of 405/15/13 at 5:32am
It's not only the impedance of the headphone that you need to look out for, but also the sensitivity.
Grados have a fairly high sensitivity and a low resistance, which seems to be a good combination for low volumes.
Headphones with high resistance also tend to have a low sensitivity, so at lower volumes it sounds like the drivers aren't 'singing' properly. It's not a rule, but that's my impression.
Also I think dynamic drivers perform better at low volumes than planar magnetics (orthodynamics). Planars seem to lose their 'punch' at very low volumes.post #5 of 405/15/13 at 6:40pm
I love my Q701 at low volume. I listen to it anywhere from about 70db to 85db and I love the way it sounds at these volumes. Very detailed, but never painful or tiring.
My T50rp on the other hand doesn't sound good until it gets cranked up louder than I prefer to listen.post #6 of 405/17/13 at 6:29amThread Starterpost #7 of 405/17/13 at 11:13amThread Starterpost #8 of 405/17/13 at 1:05pm
A headphone that works well at low levels, although not warm-sounding, is the T1. I had the HE500, which sounded fairly warm IMHO, but I always seemed to turn up the volume quite a bit with it - more than I liked. The T1 is very detailed and lively even at low levels - but not warm (perhaps an OTL tube amp would change that).post #9 of 405/17/13 at 5:32pm
Why not use the HD650 at low volume? I had them for about 8 months or so and they did well at lower levels.post #10 of 405/17/13 at 6:01pm
Igrado/Grado SR60i sound really nice at lower volumes and have a very warm sound signature.
I am listening to the koss ktxpro1 and they sound very nice at low volume. A mild sprinkle of high frequency sparkle and a bit of bumpin' bass.post #11 of 405/17/13 at 6:31pmpost #12 of 405/17/13 at 6:52pmpost #13 of 405/17/13 at 6:54pmpost #14 of 405/17/13 at 7:04pmpost #15 of 405/18/13 at 4:21am
I have owned three different Grado headphones, and everyone of them excelled in low level listening....matter of fact , I believe it to be one of the strengths of the Grado line.
RS1i.....325i and SR60i....all have been great at low volume levels
- Best Headphones for low volume listening?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 3 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 7 seconds ago
- › Brand New Open Box Sennheiser HD650 Only staying on here 7 days. 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5ii Vs iBasso DX80 5 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 7 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 8 minutes ago
- › Whiplash twAu 8 Conductor Cable 8 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 8 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...