- 94 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
- brandGradotagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
- categoryHeadphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
Related Forum Threads
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice on headphones to compliment my Q701. (<200$) Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon AH-D2000, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm, Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm, AKG Q701, used... Last post on 12/6/12 at 11:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG Q701 vs. Sony's XB1000 - Which to splash out on? Last post on 9/9/11 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
I decided to write a short review after buying the second pair today. The first pair was damaged by a clumsy flight attendant and her heavy trolley... Although I was super happy with the E700M...
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
Best Headphones for low volume listening?post #1 of 415/15/13 at 3:17amThread StarterThe latest thread on this topic was from 2006 so I figured it would be good to bring up this topic again. Like me, im sure many of you are concerned about your hearing. Without our ears we can not fully enjoy this hobby. As I get older I get more concerned and low level listening has become a major factor in the headphones I consider. I have heard great comments about the PS1000 and the ultrasone cans. From everyone's experience or knowledge what are some good cans for safe low level listening?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 415/15/13 at 4:03am
First thing that comes to mind are grados. But since they are completely open it is not really good in noisy places though their sound is still very lively and fun at low levels.post #3 of 415/15/13 at 5:14amThread Starterpost #4 of 415/15/13 at 5:32am
It's not only the impedance of the headphone that you need to look out for, but also the sensitivity.
Grados have a fairly high sensitivity and a low resistance, which seems to be a good combination for low volumes.
Headphones with high resistance also tend to have a low sensitivity, so at lower volumes it sounds like the drivers aren't 'singing' properly. It's not a rule, but that's my impression.
Also I think dynamic drivers perform better at low volumes than planar magnetics (orthodynamics). Planars seem to lose their 'punch' at very low volumes.post #5 of 415/15/13 at 6:40pm
I love my Q701 at low volume. I listen to it anywhere from about 70db to 85db and I love the way it sounds at these volumes. Very detailed, but never painful or tiring.
My T50rp on the other hand doesn't sound good until it gets cranked up louder than I prefer to listen.post #6 of 415/17/13 at 6:29amThread Starterpost #7 of 415/17/13 at 11:13amThread Starterpost #8 of 415/17/13 at 1:05pm
A headphone that works well at low levels, although not warm-sounding, is the T1. I had the HE500, which sounded fairly warm IMHO, but I always seemed to turn up the volume quite a bit with it - more than I liked. The T1 is very detailed and lively even at low levels - but not warm (perhaps an OTL tube amp would change that).post #9 of 415/17/13 at 5:32pm
Why not use the HD650 at low volume? I had them for about 8 months or so and they did well at lower levels.post #10 of 415/17/13 at 6:01pm
Igrado/Grado SR60i sound really nice at lower volumes and have a very warm sound signature.
I am listening to the koss ktxpro1 and they sound very nice at low volume. A mild sprinkle of high frequency sparkle and a bit of bumpin' bass.post #11 of 415/17/13 at 6:31pmpost #12 of 415/17/13 at 6:52pmpost #13 of 415/17/13 at 6:54pmpost #14 of 415/17/13 at 7:04pmpost #15 of 415/18/13 at 4:21am
I have owned three different Grado headphones, and everyone of them excelled in low level listening....matter of fact , I believe it to be one of the strengths of the Grado line.
RS1i.....325i and SR60i....all have been great at low volume levels
- Best Headphones for low volume listening?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 11 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 20 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 23 seconds ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 1 minute ago
- › Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › = HE-560 Enhancement Mod (v1.5) = 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 2 minutes ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear