- 94 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
- brandGradotagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
- categoryHeadphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/26/14
Related Forum Threads
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice on headphones to compliment my Q701. (<200$) Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon AH-D2000, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm, Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm, AKG Q701, used... Last post on 12/6/12 at 11:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG Q701 vs. Sony's XB1000 - Which to splash out on? Last post on 9/9/11 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
MDR-XD-150BK Easily said, the Black Version. #BIGBASS Before we get started. Descriptive Review!: Laid back, more like a "Cheap School" Headphone you'd see people use if you were to buy...
Those headphones are just cool. -> good sound -> easy spreading and slicing -> they look awesome, don't they? -> you can hear to music really loud -> not really expensive But,...
I decided to finally treat myself to a pair of quality headphones for a self-birthday present. After hours of online research, the AH D1100 seemed to offer the best bang-for-the-buck under...
The highs and the lows are, for lack a better descriptor "dry". There are people who "like" this sort of leanness, but it's never sounded "real" to me. It's the difference I hear in vintage...
Thanks to Luke (H20Fidelity) for letting me a part of the Australian leg of the COZOY DAC/Amp tour and for Igor (DJScope) for the personal delivery, no doubt due to him enjoying the unit so much...
Best Headphones for low volume listening?post #1 of 315/15/13 at 3:17amThread StarterThe latest thread on this topic was from 2006 so I figured it would be good to bring up this topic again. Like me, im sure many of you are concerned about your hearing. Without our ears we can not fully enjoy this hobby. As I get older I get more concerned and low level listening has become a major factor in the headphones I consider. I have heard great comments about the PS1000 and the ultrasone cans. From everyone's experience or knowledge what are some good cans for safe low level listening?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 315/15/13 at 4:03am
First thing that comes to mind are grados. But since they are completely open it is not really good in noisy places though their sound is still very lively and fun at low levels.post #3 of 315/15/13 at 5:14amThread Starterpost #4 of 315/15/13 at 5:32am
It's not only the impedance of the headphone that you need to look out for, but also the sensitivity.
Grados have a fairly high sensitivity and a low resistance, which seems to be a good combination for low volumes.
Headphones with high resistance also tend to have a low sensitivity, so at lower volumes it sounds like the drivers aren't 'singing' properly. It's not a rule, but that's my impression.
Also I think dynamic drivers perform better at low volumes than planar magnetics (orthodynamics). Planars seem to lose their 'punch' at very low volumes.post #5 of 315/15/13 at 6:40pm
I love my Q701 at low volume. I listen to it anywhere from about 70db to 85db and I love the way it sounds at these volumes. Very detailed, but never painful or tiring.
My T50rp on the other hand doesn't sound good until it gets cranked up louder than I prefer to listen.post #6 of 315/17/13 at 6:29amThread Starterpost #7 of 315/17/13 at 11:13amThread Starterpost #8 of 315/17/13 at 1:05pm
A headphone that works well at low levels, although not warm-sounding, is the T1. I had the HE500, which sounded fairly warm IMHO, but I always seemed to turn up the volume quite a bit with it - more than I liked. The T1 is very detailed and lively even at low levels - but not warm (perhaps an OTL tube amp would change that).post #9 of 315/17/13 at 5:32pm
Why not use the HD650 at low volume? I had them for about 8 months or so and they did well at lower levels.post #10 of 315/17/13 at 6:01pm
Igrado/Grado SR60i sound really nice at lower volumes and have a very warm sound signature.
I am listening to the koss ktxpro1 and they sound very nice at low volume. A mild sprinkle of high frequency sparkle and a bit of bumpin' bass.post #11 of 315/17/13 at 6:31pmpost #12 of 315/17/13 at 6:52pmpost #13 of 315/17/13 at 6:54pmpost #14 of 315/17/13 at 7:04pmpost #15 of 315/18/13 at 4:21am
I have owned three different Grado headphones, and everyone of them excelled in low level listening....matter of fact , I believe it to be one of the strengths of the Grado line.
RS1i.....325i and SR60i....all have been great at low volume levels
- Best Headphones for low volume listening?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 12 seconds ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 18 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Music City Meet #3: Pictures & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Jays D-Jays Black. NIB. Never opened - PRICE DROP 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › NVX XPT100 vs Takstar Pro 80 3 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 3 minutes ago
- › MDR-XD 150 W weiß by ahnvx
- › Somic Head-band Music Audio Headphone Earphone Headset MH489 by PearlyBoy
- › Denon AH-D1100 by PhenomenalNinja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by Zennheiser
- › Cozoy Astrapi by Xtralglactic
- › Linum 2Pin Detachable Connector - BaX Dual Twist Model by acain
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Wokei
- › Audio Technica AT-PHA50BT by unknownsolo
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by kite7
- › Sennheiser IE80 by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2