I am looking to get a present for my father: Sennheiser HD 650 and DAC/AMP (and headphone stand).
After a LOT of reading I am left quite confused. With so many headphones and DAC/AMP combination options it is difficult to find a review that matches my requirements.
- The music source will be a PC with FLAC / mp3s.
- The music will mostly be vocal jazz, and classical (he loves Julio Iglesias, Gloria Estefan, violin concertos etc...).
- My price range for the DAC/AMP is around the $200 mark.
Within the price range I'm looking at, these USB DAC/AMP kept coming up:
- Audioengine D1 - $169
- Hifiman EF2A - $169
- Audinst HUD-mx1 - $179
- iBasso D4 Mamba $199
- Schiit Magni AMP + Modi DAC - $200
- Maverick TubeMagic D1 Plus - $209
- Yulong U100 - $225
- Audio-Gd NFB-15.32 - $235
- Audinst HUD-mx2 - $248
- Maverick TubeMagic D2 DAC - $249
But there are many others :(
So I have these questions:
(1) Can anyone recommend a good match for the HD 650 based on personal experience?
(2) For my price range of DAC/AMP, am I better off getting the HD 598 instead? (will it sound BETTER with these DACs?)
(3) Am I getting a MASSIVE improvement by spending $300-$400 on a DAC? (and which one)
Edited by zordex - 5/14/13 at 8:07pm