Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Help me chose headphones please.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me chose headphones please.

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi i have been looking in to getting a good pair of headphones for a while now, ive been thinking about getting the Sennheiser 650s for a while but in the end didnt go for them because of the price when purchased with a good amp. i listen to mainly electronic music e.g. glitch hop, house, electro swing and most other genres of electronic music. I also listen to a wide verity of other genres so versatility is important(also this will be my ONLY set of earphones so being good all round is important as well)   n, but being good for electronic music is a key thing for me. im not a expert in headphones so don't really know what im looking for but understand what sounds good so want a good pair for music listening and a bit of gaming. im up for any recommendations. but have personally heard that the Beyerdynamic DT880 are good. I can also get a set of akg 702's for the same price, but have heard they "lack the bass needed" for electronic music. Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Edit: my budget is about £250-300


Edited by Revroo - 5/14/13 at 1:15pm
post #2 of 12
Personally I love my Amperiors for Electronic or Dance music. Plenty of deep bass and sound good with all forms of music to my ears. However I also recognise that we don't all perceive sound the same, but I'd recommend trying a pair.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

Any opinions on the Beyer dt990 , Beyer dt880, Ultrasone pro 900 and the akg702. for the things i want?


Edited by Revroo - 5/14/13 at 2:59pm
post #4 of 12

Sennheiser HD 598, HD 25, Sony MDR-1R can work just fine without using any amps and DA-Converters. Personally I more prefer to Sony MDR-1R based on its looking. The sound quality is fine too if connecting to Iphone or Ipod Classic.

post #5 of 12

If your going to spend £300 then the he400 seem to be a good choice if iam to go by any reviews i have read on them, I dont own them but iam considering them as upgrades to the hd598s soon (if i can stretch my budget ill prob get the he500s) The hd598s btw are a great hp, Relatively cheap, great soundstage and very comfortable, Neither hp will need an amp but but i amp/dac would do no harm and will get that little bit more from them

post #6 of 12
He 400 need a good amp to drive them properly. Though they are efficient orthos, they are still orthos. I second the suggestion for Ultrasone Pro 900s for electronic music - they are regarded by some as the best trance headphone in this price range. Given your 350 pound budget, you can also get a decent amp if you want one.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the help. I am considering the Ultrasone Pro 900s or the HE 400s. but as some people have said the hd 598s are good. I could stretch my budget to get a pair of HD600s/HD650s then get a amp in a month or so, dose any one think that would be worth it? I am also intrested in people opinions on the beyer DT880s and the akg 702s which i can buy for £250 so would have enough money to buy a amp strait away. could you please give your opinions on this option as well. Also i would like to add that these headphones, will never be used outside my house. And thank you to anyone who has already helped :)


Edited by Revroo - 5/20/13 at 12:32pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revroo View Post

Thanks for all the help. I am considering the Ultrasone Pro 900s or the HE 400s. but as some people have said the hd 598s are good. I could stretch my budget to get a pair of HD600s/HD650s then get a amp in a month or so, dose any one think that would be worth it? I am also intrested in people opinions on the beyer DT880s and the akg 702s which i can buy for £250 so would have enough money to buy a amp strait away. could you please give your opinions on this option as well. Also i would like to add that these headphones, will never be used outside my house. And thank you to anyone who has already helped smily_headphones1.gif

I have the HD598 and the Ultrasone Pro 750.

For electronic music I totally love the Pro 750. Nothing else so far came close. The bass is defined and punchy.

I will get a pair of DT880 and a PSB M4U2-1 in a few days and I can report back.

I listened to the PSBs and just got to have them, the DT880 I can currently get for a good price so want to try them after some disappointing time with the T50p.

There is also my personal budget king, the Yamaha HPH-200. On-ear open can but still blows me away in sound quality. The bass is also well defined and nice. If you find a dealer who has them, give them a try. I think they are one of the most underrated headphones out there.

Cheers,
K
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post


I have the HD598 and the Ultrasone Pro 750.

For electronic music I totally love the Pro 750. Nothing else so far came close. The bass is defined and punchy.

I will get a pair of DT880 and a PSB M4U2-1 in a few days and I can report back.

I listened to the PSBs and just got to have them, the DT880 I can currently get for a good price so want to try them after some disappointing time with the T50p.

There is also my personal budget king, the Yamaha HPH-200. On-ear open can but still blows me away in sound quality. The bass is also well defined and nice. If you find a dealer who has them, give them a try. I think they are one of the most underrated headphones out there.

Cheers,
K

Thanks a lot ill wait for you to get back before i decide what to buy. The Yamaha HPH-200 look like amazing budget cans, but i think it would be worth using most of my budget to get better quality sound.

 

At the moment i think the Ultrasone pro 900s. Will be my best bet but just want to check the other options. thanks again :)

post #10 of 12
Ok. Here is my preliminary feedback:

I didn't buy the PSB yet as a set of new old stock Sennheiser HD 25-1 came my way and I just had to buy them for $105.

I also got the DT880 Premium so enough for one month.

The DT880s are amazing. Absolutely amazing. Love them. They are not yet properly broken in so I won't say too much. But initial listening is absolutely great. I would not say better than the PSB because I have to listen to the PSB at home first. But it is definitively a close race. I got the beyerdynamics very cheap from a shop that went bust so had to grap the chance. The PSBa are not going anywhere so I can buy them next month.

Anyhow. I truly enjoy the H25 and the DT880s currently, still for open on-ears nothing beats the Yamahas.

In short. If you can get by a DT 880 premium for a good price, I guess you wouldn't mind passing on the PSB. For the same price though I would prefer the PSB.

Hope that helps.
post #11 of 12
Oh I also listened to the Ultrasone Pro 900 in a showroom. Problem there is that the phones are not broken in.

While I liked the Pro900 I wouldn't spend the money upgrading from my 750. But you have to give it to Ultrasone. They are build like tanks. These headphones will outlast us all.

Sound wise it's a tough call. Are they better than the PSB? I will have to digest my experiences a bit more.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post

Ok. Here is my preliminary feedback:

I didn't buy the PSB yet as a set of new old stock Sennheiser HD 25-1 came my way and I just had to buy them for $105.

I also got the DT880 Premium so enough for one month.

The DT880s are amazing. Absolutely amazing. Love them. They are not yet properly broken in so I won't say too much. But initial listening is absolutely great. I would not say better than the PSB because I have to listen to the PSB at home first. But it is definitively a close race. I got the beyerdynamics very cheap from a shop that went bust so had to grap the chance. The PSBa are not going anywhere so I can buy them next month.

Anyhow. I truly enjoy the H25 and the DT880s currently, still for open on-ears nothing beats the Yamahas.

In short. If you can get by a DT 880 premium for a good price, I guess you wouldn't mind passing on the PSB. For the same price though I would prefer the PSB.

Hope that helps.

Thanks mate, have you listed to any bassy music on the 880s? How did they do? And also do you think they would be good for edm?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Help me chose headphones please.