Hi, I am new. I am looking for a pair of high quality headphones that have exceptional mids and highs, but also have good sounding bass. I have heard that the Sennheiser hd 558 are very good with mids and highs, but lack bass. I listen to all kinds of music, but mostly metal, rap, and rock. I am looking for the best sounding headphone that is the best for listening to music through the headphone jack on my pc or an ipod. I would prefer the headphones to not have to be amped. I want a headphone that will catch all the bass notes in rap music, but also sound tight and punchy with fast double bass in metal. Bass is very important, but the mids and highs are just as important, and I would like a headphone that can capture every little detail and sound very full. I definitely don't want a headphone that seems to be missing mids. My price range is roughly $200 or less, but I would like to know all the available options that cost more too. And what is the absolute best headphone that money can buy for what i'm looking for? thanks for any advice.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Looking to upgrade Last post on 5/11/13 at 11:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones ~$100-250 with good soundstage for most genres, but mainly metal? Last post on 12/19/12 at 8:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i get Last post on 11/7/12 at 10:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shootout - Entry to Mid-range Full Size Cans - Feat. ATH-M50, HD 558, and HE-400 Last post on 2/23/15 at 7:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/14/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/14/15
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time passed,...
Disclaimer I was part of the european leg on the X5 world tour, so I did receive a review unit, free of charge, for ten days, but it was already running FW 1.0. I am in no way affiliated with...
Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited needs some serious burning-in. They sound horrible at the beginning but after about 30-40 hrs they are getting better and better - very open (doesn't sound like closed...
Purchased these this week, and had them replaced with another set - which exhibited the same flaw. Two may be a curse, but they both did the same thing so I would be wary. When on standby,...
Synopsis: The RD3 is part of the next generation of earphones from Rhapsodio. Powered by a single high-end dynamic driver, it has a warm sound and a hearty bass response. The RD3’s design...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Best headphones in $200 range with the best mids and highs and also excellent bass
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Id also recommend the mdr ma900. They have nice bass, crystal clear mids, and a gigantic sound stage.
I was torn between the Audio Technica ATH-WS99, the Audio Technica ATH-A900X, and the Ultrasone HFI780, but after more research, I think I might go for the ws99's. I keep hearing they have tons of bass, and sub bass specifically, that not only is in quantity, but also quality. I also keep hearing that they have great sounding mids and highs and are great for rock and metal. So where is the best place to buy some ws99 headphones. I see a pair on ebay for $206.99 shipped.
The seller is "Buy". Would you recommend buying from that seller?
And before I pull the plug, is there any reason why I shouldn't get the ws99's? Is there a better headphone?
After searching the UPC of the ws99 headphones that i found on ebay, I found even better deals on the headphones.
Both are selling the ws99's for $191.15. Would you buy from these sellers? Are they actually REAL Audio Technica WS99's?
Edited by Trunks159 - 5/16/13 at 5:34am
- Best headphones in $200 range with the best mids and highs and also excellent bass
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 7 seconds ago
- › JH Audio JH5pro thread 44 seconds ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 44 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 46 seconds ago
- › Best cans for female vocals? 57 seconds ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 1 minute ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 1 minute ago
- › New headphone amplifier from Bryston 1 minute ago
- › Upgrade from HD598+Fiio E10 ($600~$700 Budget) 1 minute ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by WayneWoondirts
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3