I have a Fiio E07K which I bought for my Sennheiser HD598. Now I am looking for some speakers, below $150 (Australia - prices are sometimes way different compared to other countries, so keep that in mind if recommending). I have read a few good reviews about Microlab, such as their SOLO 6C. I can get these speakers for about $140. Apparently, and it seems like the case with a few speakers I checked, Microlab's speakers are cheaper in Australia than the US, which would make it seem like even better value. This made me interested in them.
I want to use it with my desktop, next to screen, for music and games. The music I listen to is mostly power/symphonic metal - Epica is my favourite. The games are pretty much any genre, but more so FPS.
I also have an entry level sound card, Asus Xonar DGX,but I am not overly keen on using 'fancy' virtualization features etc. I am mostly interested in sound quality.
I understand these speakers are powered, so I would only be using the DAC of the E07K.
The SOLO 7C are about $180, would I be better off saving up for them instead? I read about one reviewer saying the 7C are a bit big/too powerful to use as desktop speakers, so he recommended the 6C instead, so I think it would just be better getting the lower model.
I do not want to buy another/new DAC/AMP.
My questions are;
1) Can I use these speakers with my E07K? If I can, I can get better quality sound than onboard or with my sound card.
2) Would I be able to add a subwoofer later on for added oomph? And what kind of a sub should I be looking for with these kind of speakers?
3) If I am able to use the E07K: The E07K has two audio outputs, would I be able to use one output for the speakers and the other for a subwoofer (If I decide to buy one later on)?
4) Would I be better off just using the sound card instead of the AMP/DAC? It has outputs for stereo and centre/sub.
5) Are there any other speakers that would be better suited/more compatible with my setup?
6) Is there anything else I should know before buying these?
Thank you for any feedback
EDIT: Fixed link.
Edited by Charybdis - 5/12/13 at 6:47pm