So the left channel went out on my VSD1, approximately 7 days after the warranty period. I shot vsonic an email hoping for some sympathy, but no reply came back.
I'm enjoy playing around with electronics so I decided to try and fix the issue myself. I first checked the cable for any signs of breakage, there was only one area that seemed a bit kinked but I didn't seriously suspect it of being the point of failure. My guess was a weak solder joint. A pick tool I had made cracking the case open pretty simple.
Unfortunately, the solder joints looked fine...
Note the beige-yellow glue on the driver. Also note the copper coil on the speaker "cone" section (not attached to the headphone cable). The copper coil on the cone looks to be wound with a single thin wire, and then connect to the driver somewhere under the yellow glue. This seems to be the most likely point of failure, as I noticed the driver separated from the cone with no effort on the left side, and was attached via glue and the aforementioned copper wire. Unfortunately, the glue and the incredibly thin wire made it impossible to fix.
Lesson learned: if you have a channel go out on the VSD1 there is a good chance you won't be able to repair it.
Very unfortunate, as these were awesome for the short time I had with them.