Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › philips fidelio x1 vs hifiman he-400 (stronger natural midrange?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

philips fidelio x1 vs hifiman he-400 (stronger natural midrange?) - Page 3

Poll Results: stronger natural midrange

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 32% (29)
    hifiman he-400
  • 43% (39)
    fidelio x1
  • 14% (13)
    sennheiser hd 598
  • 13% (12)
    akg q701
90 Total Votes  
post #31 of 185
Thread Starter 

I know its kinda late but... sometimes because I do hip hop I think people think its not musical however here is a link for some vocals I have done. Im singing the hook. I cant wait to try the hd600 on this. 

post #32 of 185
The he-400 are pretty damn linear from the very lowest bass to the very middle of the mids at 1-2khz, it's their strongest aspect and is what they share so much similarity with the likes of lcd2. Where they induce their coloration is a dip centered around the upper mids at 5khz. Too many headphones have too much energy at 5khz, he-400 has too little of it. It can affect upper harmonics of vocals and instruments. What you're after is a more neutral upper midrange op, not a more natural lower mid- middle mid presentation. Hd600 has a lot more upper midrange-- too much in my opinion, and is more mid forward in general because it doesn't have the meaty, extended bass of the he-400 nor the upper treble.
post #33 of 185
Thread Starter 
So what headphone would you recommend. The x1 maybe. I just want it to sound realistic and to hear the breaths and harmonies.
post #34 of 185

For "natural" sounding mids, what you really want is the HE500. The HD650 (not HD600) to a lesser extent for bass-y music like soul/hip hop/reggae. I'm admittedly a basshead and prefer even moar bass. The D7000 and M100 are just right for me when listening to urban music.

 

EDITED TO ADD: I do have an X1 on order.


Edited by drheadphone - 5/18/13 at 2:29pm
post #35 of 185
I recommend the hd600. I think the he400 sounds just as natural as it personally, just more subdued,but I get the feeling you're after a forward upper midrange that puts the listener more towards the instrumentalist. Hd600 will give you that.
post #36 of 185
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I recommend the hd600. I think the he400 sounds just as natural as it personally, just more subdued,but I get the feeling you're after a forward upper midrange that puts the listener more towards the instrumentalist. Hd600 will give you that.

The he-400 sounded metallic or something that I can't explain. It wasn't just how loud it played certain things like mid range or highs or lows. It just sounded to me like cyborg vs human. More machine than natural. Plus though they weren't bright they hurt my ears and that was pretty weird to me because the l1 or pioneer hdj 500 or 2000 or even the mdr v6's dont do that. I know the he-400 is in a higher class than those and I could hear it while listening through them. If they sent me back the he-400 headphones and told me they couldnt process my return i wouldn't be totally bummed out because i still think they are good but just not what I was looking for and they sounded a bit artificial to me. It sounded like if I was listening to a lot of analog synths and electronic music it would do that really well. I do listen to a lot of that but the main concern is vocals and real instruments. So nuff said the he-400 isnt the best at those to me. I actually enjoyed the l1 a little more on some songs.

 

I have high hopes that the hd600 wont have the same sound to me. 

 

While waiting for the money for the he-400 my indecisiveness kicks in and makes me curious about the q701 whose chart shows the mids to be quite nice. The hd600 looks like it only has nice mids because the highs and bass are lower. But I dont know exactly how to read it Im just speculating. At this point I need to take advice and I have. The hd 600 is the winner here for me. They do look ugly to me but who cares. After all I purchased the German Maestro 8.35d that looks horrible but has great functionality, durability and sound. Plus the hd 600 has the benefits of responding very well to good amps and I look forward to taking that journey little by little. 


Edited by grizzlybeast - 5/18/13 at 5:55pm
post #37 of 185
Im a bit confused. In your original post, you said you didn't want the "Sennheiser sound sig" yet chose the HD600, the most Sennheiser-y sounding headphone of them all! biggrin.gif

You'll get nice vocal performance from the HD600 but I fear not enough low end for your music tastes. I'd stay away from the bass-lean Q701 for urban music too.

It really should be down to the HD650 or saving up for the HE500 or a used LCD2.
post #38 of 185
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drheadphone View Post

Im a bit confused. In your original post, you said you didn't want the "Sennheiser sound sig" yet chose the HD600, the most Sennheiser-y sounding headphone of them all! biggrin.gif

You'll get nice vocal performance from the HD600 but I fear not enough low end for your music tastes. I'd stay away from the bass-lean Q701 for urban music too.

It really should be down to the HD650 or saving up for the HE500 or a used LCD2.


I was staying away from the sennheiser because I didnt want to hear a veil over the music. The word veil is scary when describing listening experiences. If it means congested I can deal with it. But the word veil implies covering of details or imagery. So maybe that is a misinterpretation on my part.  But after i admitted that I have never heard the hd600 or hd650 I figured that it was worth a try. If people are saying that they are detailed but veiled then i must be misinterpreting them because with my current understanding of the terms they sound like oxymorons. Maybe the imaging is weird because its not bright. I dunno.  I got convinced in previous threads about picking the hd600.

I am a very impressionable person so I will also consider the hd650. I just dont know if the aune t1 would do it justice as research and Biscuitz in  page one says it needs high quality expensive amps to bring out its dynamics wich would suit my tastes. I also didnt want to wait until i got a better amp.

 

If the hd650 has better bass its a worthy consideration but I can get the hd600 for about 315 shipped.

 

So you are saying that the hd600 has lean bass hmmm that makes things a little different. I might be willing to pay a little more for the bass.


Edited by grizzlybeast - 5/18/13 at 11:30pm
post #39 of 185

Yeah, the HD600 and 650 have that soft treble but hardly lacking in detail. The imaging is fine on both. A bit better on the HD650 partly because of its superior resolution in its mids.

 

At the same time, I can't knock the HD600. As a starter headphone, it's a safe choice and immensely popular. You've got to hear it at least once in your audiophile life, I suppose.

post #40 of 185

After all the HE-500 or lcd2 would be the best choice, but they are expensive. 

post #41 of 185
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drheadphone View Post

Yeah, the HD600 and 650 have that soft treble but hardly lacking in detail. The imaging is fine on both. A bit better on the HD650 partly because of its superior resolution in its mids.

 

At the same time, I can't knock the HD600. As a starter headphone, it's a safe choice and immensely popular. You've got to hear it at least once in your audiophile life, I suppose.

so for better bass and midrange clarity you are saying the hd650. I think im leaning towards that now. Told you Im impressionable. I just hear the 650 is slower. But its all good. I think Im ready for the 650. I wish someone would know how the 650 sounds with the aune t1. but oh well. Its all good.

 

You guys have literally persuaded me. I think im sold.

post #42 of 185
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

After all the HE-500 or lcd2 would be the best choice, but they are expensive. 

Yeah bro skip the 500 I would go for the lcd2 if I was gonna pay that much. It would be better to go all the way out. Well not all the way 5000 dollars is more than I will ever even consider for a headphone ie stax sr-009

post #43 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post

so for better bass and midrange clarity you are saying the hd650. I think im leaning towards that now. Told you Im impressionable. I just hear the 650 is slower. But its all good. I think Im ready for the 650. I wish someone would know how the 650 sounds with the aune t1. but oh well. Its all good.

You guys have literally persuaded me. I think im sold.
I don't mind a slow headphone for hip hop so as long as punch and sub-bass is present which the HD650 is simply superior in providing. Most reggae/soul is slow anyway.

The HD600 is a nice HP. But not one I'd recommend for someone with a taste for bass. The bass on the HD650 is actually the minimum you'd want for urban music, IMO. The HE500 has more sub-bass but slightly less punch. The LCD2 has slightly more of both. The Denon AHD7000 is the punchy bass king and pinnacle for soul/reggae/hip hop. The D7000 is pretty much what you should aspire to owning, even though its mids aren't as upfront as the others mentioned. Its mids sound perfectly natural to my ears, moreso than the D5000 or even the TH900.
Edited by drheadphone - 5/19/13 at 3:51pm
post #44 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by drheadphone View Post


I don't mind a slow headphone for hip hop so as long as punch and sub-bass is present which the HD650 is simply superior in providing. Most reggae/soul is slow anyway.

The HD600 is a nice HP. But not one I'd recommend for someone with a taste for bass. The bass on the HD650 is actually the minimum you'd want for urban music, IMO. The HE500 has more sub-bass but slightly less punch. The LCD2 has slightly more of both. The Denon AHD7000 is the punchy bass king and pinnacle for soul/reggae/hip hop. The D7000 is pretty much what you should aspire to owning, even though its mids aren't as upfront as the others mentioned. Its mids sound perfectly natural to my ears, moreso than the D5000 or even the TH900.

I have the D7000 on its way to me :) Should arrive tomorrow. I love my D2000, so I figured I should have a go at the D7000 before they become even harder to find.

post #45 of 185
Thread Starter 

Maybe Denon will start a new line of hi-fi headphones. the d7000 sounds cool I like the way the ultrasone edition 8's look way better though. They even have better isolation and tighter bass with forward mids like I like. If I was to spend that much on a closed headphone I would probably shoot for the ultrasone ed 8. But I never hear too many people mention them. 

 

Now those are both out of my spending league but one day I might save up for the edition 8 and the lcd 2 then call it quits.Prob edition 8 first because then I won't have to buy a more expensive amp for it right away. 

 

How much are you liking the x1 Biscuitz?


Edited by grizzlybeast - 5/19/13 at 9:47pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › philips fidelio x1 vs hifiman he-400 (stronger natural midrange?)