or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Calling Everyone Mixing music in Headphones!!!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling Everyone Mixing music in Headphones!!!!!!!! - Page 3

post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiorefinery View Post

My professional opinion on the matter is, a tool is a tool. Any speaker can be learned just as any headphone can be learned. Speakers are always preferred but not always an option. At that point you can't go telling a client that the mix won't be done today because my speakers aren't around. Find a headphone that sounds similar signature wise to your favorite nearfield and learn it.

This is it. *know* your tool and it won't let you down. In headphones I'd look for a nice resolving high end to really dial in the fine points in setup / micing up a drumset. Then move to monitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojun View Post

Gotta mix and reference with dr. dre beats and apple ear pods because most people are going to be listening to your mix through beats/earpods so make sure your mix sounds decent on the dre beats and earpods.

Your mix may sound good on hd600 but will sound different when some uses earpods or beats.

Just add gobs of compression at mixdown.

smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by ev13wt - 5/10/13 at 2:37pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiorefinery View Post

My professional opinion on the matter is, a tool is a tool. Any speaker can be learned just as any headphone can be learned. Speakers are always preferred but not always an option. At that point you can't go telling a client that the mix won't be done today because my speakers aren't around. Find a headphone that sounds similar signature wise to your favorite nearfield and learn it.

 

Personally I think that to mix music you need speakers with a flat frequency response.

 

You aren't going to produce a successful mix by compensating for a "sound signature" if by that you mean an inaccurate frequency response. It just doesn't work like that.

 

There are two problems with headphones for mixing. Often they don't have a flat frequency response. The stereo imaging is very different with headphones. These problems are curable, SPL produce the Phonitor for example and of course some headphones do have a reasonably good frequency response. However personally I think that you really need to go to rather expensive equipment to get good results at present.

 

In an earlier post I wrote about how headphones are great for editing sound, and this is certainly the case, they are brilliant for this.

post #33 of 38

.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 9:40pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

I think it depends what equipment and what setup you are using to mix. If you are using a dj setup like I am you def. have to have both near fields and headphones. Near fields to hear what's going on with the mix currently and headphones to cue up the next song. At least in my situation it is absolutely impossible to mix without both.

I think we're both talking about different mixing. The mixing I was referring to was the production process and not the process of creating mix tapes or live mixing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p a t r i c k View Post

 

Personally I think that to mix music you need speakers with a flat frequency response.

 

You aren't going to produce a successful mix by compensating for a "sound signature" if by that you mean an inaccurate frequency response. It just doesn't work like that.

 

There are two problems with headphones for mixing. Often they don't have a flat frequency response. The stereo imaging is very different with headphones. These problems are curable, SPL produce the Phonitor for example and of course some headphones do have a reasonably good frequency response. However personally I think that you really need to go to rather expensive equipment to get good results at present.

 

In an earlier post I wrote about how headphones are great for editing sound, and this is certainly the case, they are brilliant for this.



+1. Headphones are the perfect tool for editing out artifacts in music that weren't supposed to be there but are harder to notice on fully fledged speakers. BTW, I do have the Phonitor and it was bought for mixing purposes, but alas it does not solve the problem very well.

post #35 of 38

Sony V6, BeyerDynamic DT1350, Hifiman HE-400...maybe, Sony MRD v900 for super dry detail, or K701 for the same but more clinical.

post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

I think we're both talking about different mixing. The mixing I was referring to was the production process and not the process of creating mix tapes or live mixing.

 


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 9:37pm
post #37 of 38
Thread Starter 
Apparently judging by the second half of page 2 to present, not only are people skipping the first post of this thread, but oddly find themselves preaching speakers are the only way on a headphone forum. Perhaps I should post a sample of what we are doing on this thread.
post #38 of 38

.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 9:32pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Calling Everyone Mixing music in Headphones!!!!!!!!