Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 47

post #691 of 6313

Last time, the old model sennheiser headphone used to made in germany. I used to own the HD530 and the mid range was 1 of the best I had heard but just too bad, one of the drivers spoilt after 2 years of usage.

 

Quality is excellent but the reliability wise is...............................rolleyes.gif


Edited by Jeremy1234 - 5/25/13 at 11:53am
post #692 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddumb View Post

German made...much like my Colorfly C4....

 

And I thought only the Tera player is made in German........................eek.gif

post #693 of 6313

It is obvious that the gapless issue was never a big deal for iRiver to implement on the AK100. The big question is when to introduce it. With the introduction of the AK120 with gapless feature (and at such a price), would they have the incentive to roll out the gapless feature for the AK100 so soon?

 

iRiver must be cursing at the Russian guy etysmile.gif

post #694 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanYWM View Post


iRiver must be cursing at the Russian guy etysmile.gif

yes, Russian sense of humor :-)
iRiver must feel mad because they made big fuzz out of gapless while Russian dude fixed it for them in matter of days...
post #695 of 6313

Are there any gold nuggets in this player making the price so high?

post #696 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post

Are there any gold nuggets in this player making the price so high?

You get the pristine sound quality of a vinyl record being played on a turntable with a diamond needle tip? XD

But yeah seriously I'm curious about why the price is so high too.

post #697 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanYWM View Post

It is obvious that the gapless issue was never a big deal for iRiver to implement on the AK100. The big question is when to introduce it. With the introduction of the AK120 with gapless feature (and at such a price), would they have the incentive to roll out the gapless feature for the AK100 so soon?

 

iRiver must be cursing at the Russian guy etysmile.gif

 

Not sure how long it took iriver to properly implement gapless and the new OI, but they really should just release it to AK100 as soon as they launched the 120.  Well, given 120 wasn't actually launched in many markets (I think only Germany and Hong Kong has them?) it might as well be the plan but thanks to the russians we don't need to wait and find out  L3000.gif

 

i think gapless was promised for AK100 even before AK120 was launched, also it was even listed in their official presentation slides comparing the 100 vs 120 specs at the Tokyo launch event.

 

The UI and software feature of 120 working on 100 is no surprise to me.  What surprised me is the voltage output (claim to be higher with the modded firmware by vinnie) and if there is any genuine hardware reason to not set it higher from the get go or if it was really iriver taking time to continue to tune and now optimized their firmware to better drive the 8740 and its op amp(s).  

post #698 of 6313
kkcc,

I did not claim the voltage is higher with the Russian firmware.
I only said it needs to be checked - I'll do it tomorrow evening.

All the best,

Vinnie
post #699 of 6313
Duplicate post - my bad
Edited by Vinnie R. - 5/25/13 at 5:40pm
post #700 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

X5 will have 2 DACs in it like other so-called "high-end" DAPs.

FiiO products tend yo be on the warm side of things. But yeah I agree: X3 vs AK120 in terms of features is pretty impressive considering the X3 is 1/4 the price.


Actually, the X3 is about 1/7 the price of the AK120.

post #701 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

X5 will have 2 DACs in it like other so-called "high-end" DAPs.

FiiO products tend yo be on the warm side of things. But yeah I agree: X3 vs AK120 in terms of features is pretty impressive considering the X3 is 1/4 the price.


Actually, the X3 is about 1/7 the price of the AK120.

Oh is it? I thought the MSRP was going to be $300. And yeah you guys are right about the X5, I misread James's post.

post #702 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie R. View Post

kkcc,

I did not claim the voltage is higher with the Russian firmware.
I only said it needs to be checked - I'll do it tomorrow evening.

All the best,

Vinnie

Oh guess I misread... anyway anxious to see your findings as I'm still trying to decide if I should sell my stock AK100 (with the russian mod firmware) or I should keep it and send it your way to have a perfect AK100!

 

thanks

post #703 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie R. View Post

kkcc,

I did not claim the voltage is higher with the Russian firmware.
I only said it needs to be checked - I'll do it tomorrow evening.

All the best,

Vinnie

 

wait for your conclusion on this :-D

post #704 of 6313
I would love to purchase an Astellnkern AK120 the looks the build the spec but........ The fiio x 3 has a wolfson 8740 dac and so does the cheaper AK 100 model but my point is at the price the Ak 100 should sound twice as good as the fiio to justify the premium and the dual dac Ak 120 must then beat it's cheaper sibling by double in the sound department. So it's like this I would just as happily buy the fiio for $200 if it's sounds half as good as the astellnkern models. Can someone convince me otherwise. Maybe the fact it can be used as a stand alone reference dac?
post #705 of 6313

one makes his own choice... i agree X3 looks great on paper and is worth a try since its price is also very manageable. i am curious to try this against C3+BH to see if X3 is ''can do it all one''.

also i heard from another headfier Fiio is readying their reference DAP called X5.... makes me smile since this way it sounds like purchasing BMW... X3, X5... i wonder what about X6? k701smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120