Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread Last post on 1/22/15 at 4:33am in Portable Source Gear
- Pono VS AK100/120 Last post on 1/21/15 at 7:18am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Ever since picking these IEMs up, they have been my go-to pair for almost every genre of music. They provide a great balance of neutrality paired with extremely forward and lush mids which do not...
This is a very impressive can for less than 1000.00! If this was a 1300-1500.00 can, I wouldn't say it was overpriced. Especially given what some of the audeze and hd800 cost. Now I wouldn't say...
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 404
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No, I get the same. I am listening with my ER4S's at the moment so experimented with an album that is very quite so I knew I would not damage my hearing trying but the volume stays the same but there is a line out symbol displaying. Will report back later once I attach the 120 to my amp.
Just been listening to Amazing Grace from the Mormon tabernacle choir. In the previous firmware choices the massed voices sounded less cohesive but with 1.40 not only can the definition of the voices be hear but the different sections of the choir seem to occupy a clearer space within the sonic. It is also way less tiring to listen to, warmer yes but the odd thing is at the same time there is greater micro details to be heard. Normally one can't have one with the other but you do with this firmware. Orchestral is sublime, listening to a 24/96 version of Sibelius's second symphony and right out of the player with my ER4S's which are notoriously hard to drive there is scale and an effortless deliver that simply was not there yesterday when listening with 1.32.
Best bit for last. My biggest complaint sonically was listening to DSD. It sounded glassy and hard compared to 24/192 but no more, now I think I get what DSD is all about, so natural sounding and effortless, just beautiful.
Really eager to hear others thoughts on all of this but right now it feels like I have bought a whole new player.
I had a shortish listen last night, hooked up to my Violectric V200 amp with my LCD-2s and HD650s.
I don't think there is a significant difference sonically in this case, but it could be different using earphones or headphones directly. If anything I thought the bass felt slightly less defined after the upgrade, but hard to tell since you obviously can't compare side by side with just the one player!
The lineout function doesn't have any impact on sound compared to turning it up to full volume. I guess this is expected and only serves as a convenience.
With DSD, the player is not really playing it in DSD, but rather converting to 24/88.2 PCM. They have probably improved the conversion method which could give a large improvement. I'm actually surprised conversion is possible at all given how much it seems to struggle with viewing libraries in artist view. Can't be too much computing power in there...
I do find the changes to the displaying of titles and in speed while using folder view to be immensely useful, a worthwhile upgrade for this alone.
I have the LCD2's as all and have heard a number of times the HD650's. I tend to find my T5P's much more revealing in nature than either of those so perhaps that might explain our different experiences.
Agree with you as well about the titles display. Its one of the most useful things they have upgraded It is amazing how such a small thing makes using the player so much nicer.
Haha yes that could be it.
I would imagine the extra warmth you are hearing could benefit the T5P but probably go slightly the other way on my already warm headphones, which may explain everything!
I'm hoping this isn't the big final update that was talked about though. It would be nice to keep seeing small improvements like this every so often, at least in navigation and usability.
But then again my amp really took this player up several notches in terms of soundstage anyway.
But there is a little more depth and placement of the instruments is more defined using the amp. Also though its a SET amp it is more on the revealing side than warm so the added warmth with this update has proved the greatest benefit listening via the amp. Bass depth has improved but more importantly the definition and texture of the bass.
Another lovely side to this is that what grain the treble did have before is now simply not there. Silky smooth and yet detailed. So, improvements but not as shocking as when listening directly out. More cumulative to a more engrossing listening session I would say.
Iikeaake I reckon your spot on. I listened through my LCD2's and it was a bit too warm and i lost the detail and texture improvements I got with the T5P's. Having said that it has taken care of the graininess I experience with them in comparison to my T5P's so thats a good thing.
I wonder what the Fostex 900's would be like with this update!
How are you guys extracting using mac?
US site stops downloading after about 14 megs and the Japan site seems to download all the way but I cannot open it because it's a hex file. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm using the Android App.
Don't border to download from the AK site and it sucks.
There's a link somewhere in this or the other AK thread and you need to find it and you will get the download [of the android app] within a minute.
Hope this helps
You don't need to open the hex file... with the AK120 connected, just drag & drop the hex file to the root folder of your unit. Once done, disconnect the unit & it will restart & update the firmware
Just received my 120 titan today. Beautiful little device.
But after I charged it and transferred a few files to the unit, it froze.
The screen is dark, but slightly led en a reset by pushing the > up button and the power button
for seven seconds does not help.
Very disappointing since I am in Europe and bought it in the US. So returning is not that easy.
I will try again after the battery is empty. If any of you has a good idea, please shoot.
sorry to hear that hope you'll get over the problem with the new restart
I am using firmware 1.33
May be I should load less music in a few times, instead of loading everything at once.
Hope I can get it out of the freeze mode, as soon as the battery is exhausted.
The screen is still on, but very dark.
- The Astell & Kern AK120
- › Audio-gd NFB-1 (2015) 7 seconds ago
- › Westone 3 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › SilverFi IEM Cables Worldwide Audition Tour - Limited Number of... 3 minutes ago
- › CUSTOMART US CIEM Demo Lineup Tour - Including Harmony 8 Pro 3 minutes ago
- › Lightning Cables - Official and Custom (welcomed). 4 minutes ago
- › German MAESTRO - Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 5 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 6 minutes ago
- › [Poor Man Reviews] Final Audio Design Heaven 7, Heaven 8, and Lab 1 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3