@Vinnie R. Pardon my ignorance but I was just browsing about the various DACs out there and realized that Wolfson also has a WM8742 DAC besides the WM8741 and WM8740. Is there a reason why RWAK120 swaps out the default WM8740s for WM8741s instead of WM8742s? It says the WM8742 DAC is also pin-compatible with the WM8740 just like the WM8741.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread Last post on 6/26/15 at 6:34am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell & Kern AKT5P Last post on 5/20/15 at 10:17am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
First of all I would like to thank Hifinage (http://www.hifinage.com/) for arranging a review tour and sending this to me. They are really stepping up their game and slowly increasing the product...
First things first: I would like to thank Lin and RHA for the opportunity to test these IEMs and provide my honest opinion of them in return. It really is great that this community allows this...
Not too long ago, I was a lowly noob looking for my first headphones. I waded through the murky waters of terminology I couldn’t understand and brands I’d never heard of before. Over time, some...
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 377
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I see, thanks for the explanation. Funny that Wolfson numbered the budget version above the 8741.
you using B mode or S mode? Which amp you are using? Since we are located in same country should compare the setup hehe :) . I'm currently using B mode with SR-71B but find the sound is too thick with my Roxanne, I use EQ to tweak the sound to my preference.
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the AK120 with an iDevice?
What I mean is, I would like to use the interface of an ipod but the DAC/amp of the AK120 (bypassing the iPod's DAC in the same way the AK10 does).
No my AK120 is stock.
I have a pair of JH16FP coming and would like a DAP (easy to use - decent UI - so some of the esoteric Chinese DAPs like Studio V3 and such are out) that doesn't need an amp to drive the 16's well. From what I have read, the 16's like an amp, but are pretty efficient as well. I would like to carry a DAP only - I don't have an interest in a stack.
Would the AK120 with it's low output impedance be enough on its own? Is the X5 another whole level of power?
The used AK120 market is ripe now that many are selling to buy AK240's and that unit is not an option currently, so the 120 is attractive on a number of levels - but if it doesn't drive the IEMs like they deserve, I might just add a C5D to my iPod Classic (I know that's a stack, but I have the damned iPod )
Anyone else having problems with the USB dac function? On mine it has a sliding delay on audio. Which is to say that after a few hours the audio is a second or say behind the video. Optical does not have the issue. Anyone else or just mine?
guys, i had the same problem with this 120 to my 100, but this time its worst. I loaded some songs freshly ripped. First to the sd card ,a lot of the songs would play for like 10 seconds then an error came on "Your songs is not supported format, play next song ? Yes/No". I had the same problems with 100 but taking the memory card out and reinserted it then manual scan it usually solve the problems although later on it came back again. But the same procedure will solve it again. Its a pain in the neck though.
Now with the 120, the same procedure wont solve it. Then i moved the songs to internal storage and the same things keeps happening again. Firmware is the latest one. It's very disappointing for 1k-ish DAP if they couldn't solve a basic problems like this.
Any ideas for troubleshooting this problem ? Thanks
- The Astell & Kern AK120
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 21 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 40 seconds ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › It is odd but not peculiar... 1 minute ago
- › Ditch the Essence STX and get a Xonar DG? 2 minutes ago
- › LMUE Alpha & Delta AD01 U.S. & Canada Review Tour 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 2 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3