@Vinnie R. Pardon my ignorance but I was just browsing about the various DACs out there and realized that Wolfson also has a WM8742 DAC besides the WM8741 and WM8740. Is there a reason why RWAK120 swaps out the default WM8740s for WM8741s instead of WM8742s? It says the WM8742 DAC is also pin-compatible with the WM8740 just like the WM8741.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread Last post on Yesterday at 9:54 pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ultrasone performance 880 Last post on 8/10/14 at 10:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 377
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I see, thanks for the explanation. Funny that Wolfson numbered the budget version above the 8741.
you using B mode or S mode? Which amp you are using? Since we are located in same country should compare the setup hehe :) . I'm currently using B mode with SR-71B but find the sound is too thick with my Roxanne, I use EQ to tweak the sound to my preference.
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the AK120 with an iDevice?
What I mean is, I would like to use the interface of an ipod but the DAC/amp of the AK120 (bypassing the iPod's DAC in the same way the AK10 does).
No my AK120 is stock.
I have a pair of JH16FP coming and would like a DAP (easy to use - decent UI - so some of the esoteric Chinese DAPs like Studio V3 and such are out) that doesn't need an amp to drive the 16's well. From what I have read, the 16's like an amp, but are pretty efficient as well. I would like to carry a DAP only - I don't have an interest in a stack.
Would the AK120 with it's low output impedance be enough on its own? Is the X5 another whole level of power?
The used AK120 market is ripe now that many are selling to buy AK240's and that unit is not an option currently, so the 120 is attractive on a number of levels - but if it doesn't drive the IEMs like they deserve, I might just add a C5D to my iPod Classic (I know that's a stack, but I have the damned iPod )
Anyone else having problems with the USB dac function? On mine it has a sliding delay on audio. Which is to say that after a few hours the audio is a second or say behind the video. Optical does not have the issue. Anyone else or just mine?
guys, i had the same problem with this 120 to my 100, but this time its worst. I loaded some songs freshly ripped. First to the sd card ,a lot of the songs would play for like 10 seconds then an error came on "Your songs is not supported format, play next song ? Yes/No". I had the same problems with 100 but taking the memory card out and reinserted it then manual scan it usually solve the problems although later on it came back again. But the same procedure will solve it again. Its a pain in the neck though.
Now with the 120, the same procedure wont solve it. Then i moved the songs to internal storage and the same things keeps happening again. Firmware is the latest one. It's very disappointing for 1k-ish DAP if they couldn't solve a basic problems like this.
Any ideas for troubleshooting this problem ? Thanks
- The Astell & Kern AK120
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 seconds ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 20 seconds ago
- › Replacing Philips HP890 21 seconds ago
- › iPhone 6 with 128GB 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 1 minute ago
- › Any other kid head-fiers? 1 minute ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 1 minute ago
- › Is Sabre ES9018 the best DAC chip right now? 1 minute ago
- › Kaiser 10 and Spiral Ears 3-Way Pro (Detachable version) Two... 3 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)