@Vinnie R. Pardon my ignorance but I was just browsing about the various DACs out there and realized that Wolfson also has a WM8742 DAC besides the WM8741 and WM8740. Is there a reason why RWAK120 swaps out the default WM8740s for WM8741s instead of WM8742s? It says the WM8742 DAC is also pin-compatible with the WM8740 just like the WM8741.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread Last post on 7/6/14 at 5:26pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 II and AK120 II UK Pre Order Available Now Last post on 7/9/14 at 11:27am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance. I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for...
Disclaimer: This unit was part of a tour held by Justin at Headamp.com. As the second in the tour to hear these headphones, it likely was not properly burnt in. I thank Justin for giving me the...
Bought them today for 20€ to use them till i get the bose mie2i and try out how this type of headphone would be like. the sound is okay to watch dvds on you notebook but just muddy if you want...
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 377
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I see, thanks for the explanation. Funny that Wolfson numbered the budget version above the 8741.
you using B mode or S mode? Which amp you are using? Since we are located in same country should compare the setup hehe :) . I'm currently using B mode with SR-71B but find the sound is too thick with my Roxanne, I use EQ to tweak the sound to my preference.
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the AK120 with an iDevice?
What I mean is, I would like to use the interface of an ipod but the DAC/amp of the AK120 (bypassing the iPod's DAC in the same way the AK10 does).
No my AK120 is stock.
I have a pair of JH16FP coming and would like a DAP (easy to use - decent UI - so some of the esoteric Chinese DAPs like Studio V3 and such are out) that doesn't need an amp to drive the 16's well. From what I have read, the 16's like an amp, but are pretty efficient as well. I would like to carry a DAP only - I don't have an interest in a stack.
Would the AK120 with it's low output impedance be enough on its own? Is the X5 another whole level of power?
The used AK120 market is ripe now that many are selling to buy AK240's and that unit is not an option currently, so the 120 is attractive on a number of levels - but if it doesn't drive the IEMs like they deserve, I might just add a C5D to my iPod Classic (I know that's a stack, but I have the damned iPod )
Anyone else having problems with the USB dac function? On mine it has a sliding delay on audio. Which is to say that after a few hours the audio is a second or say behind the video. Optical does not have the issue. Anyone else or just mine?
guys, i had the same problem with this 120 to my 100, but this time its worst. I loaded some songs freshly ripped. First to the sd card ,a lot of the songs would play for like 10 seconds then an error came on "Your songs is not supported format, play next song ? Yes/No". I had the same problems with 100 but taking the memory card out and reinserted it then manual scan it usually solve the problems although later on it came back again. But the same procedure will solve it again. Its a pain in the neck though.
Now with the 120, the same procedure wont solve it. Then i moved the songs to internal storage and the same things keeps happening again. Firmware is the latest one. It's very disappointing for 1k-ish DAP if they couldn't solve a basic problems like this.
Any ideas for troubleshooting this problem ? Thanks
- The Astell & Kern AK120
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 18 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 22 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › I hear no difference. What am I doing wrong? 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed! Phase 2: SmartPower. Please feed the... 4 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)