or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 374

post #5596 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
 

Is really an individual preference i guess.

 

Some folks i know have an AK120 with a Kojo Km01 amp, with a decent interconnect, that adds up within striking distance of an AK240 price tag. Yet still sound lesser compared to AK240 on its own. For these guys i reckon it makes sense to just move straight to the AK240 since price isn't a big gap or concern, versus the sound quality.

 

Not to mention a recent meet where some of the guys compared the AK240 sonically favorable even to the Chord Hugo. In my books, that makes the AK240 even more attractive,

 

Well if it's even put in the same ballpark sonically, to the acclaimed Chord Hugo, then that is a huge plus in my eyes

post #5597 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriise View Post
 


Thanks for the tip Papiro2 - that is definitely something I will look in to. How do you like your 120-B in terms of SQ over what you had before?ris

 

Oriise, by this time you might have already received the RWAK (if I am not mistaken). I have had a brief (less than a week) loaned AK120 (I work with Koreans that are fanatics about music). I can just tell you that I am extremely satisfied with the SQ  of my  RWAK-B Titan paired with the TH900 balanced. I use the cypherlabs duet as amp. I wouldn't change it unless the AK 240 is significantly better which so far, I don't know. I am awaiting Vinnie's comments....

post #5598 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojaku View Post
 

I was actually thinking that once I get my 120 modded that I'd pick up the Anker Astro pro2 because it has multi-voltage DC output so I could use it to simultaneously charge the RWAK and my intruder for 20 hours straight play time :)

 

Kojaku

 

Hi Kojaku, Just let me tell you that I bought the Anker Astro E5, it is the size of two AK 120 put together and it is very heavy, although still portable. With the E5 I get 3 charges for the RWAK and 1 charge for the Cypherlabs duet. My flight is 25 hours long (three legs) and I can go throughout with that set up if my RWAK and Duet is fully charged at the beginning of the trip. Best, 


Edited by Papiro2 - 3/17/14 at 9:09am
post #5599 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papiro2 View Post
 

 

Hi Kojaku, Just let me tell you that I bought the Anker Astro E5, it is the size of two AK 120 put together and it is very heavy, although still portable. With the E5 I get 3 charges for the RWAK and 1 charge for the Cypherlabs duet. My flight is 25 hours long (three legs) and I can go throughout with that set up if my RWAK and Duet is fully charged at the beginning of the trip. Best, 

I understand, but I'm kind of in an odd situation because Ray exclusively uses barrel terminations on his amps, so I'd need a battery with a a comprehensive DC output system. 

 

Kojaku

post #5600 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
 

Is really an individual preference i guess.

 

Some folks i know have an AK120 with a Kojo Km01 amp, with a decent interconnect, that adds up within striking distance of an AK240 price tag. Yet still sound lesser compared to AK240 on its own. For these guys i reckon it makes sense to just move straight to the AK240 since price isn't a big gap or concern, versus the sound quality.

 

Not to mention a recent meet where some of the guys compared the AK240 sonically favorable even to the Chord Hugo. In my books, that makes the AK240 even more attractive,

 

Nah they should just get the S mod and crush them all ;)... Or go for the hugo.

post #5601 of 6936

I'll try to compare the AK240 to the Hugo at the So Cal meet this weekend. I'll report back. 

post #5602 of 6936
Cu there Sam smily_headphones1.gif
post #5603 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

 

Nah they should just get the S mod and crush them all ;)... Or go for the hugo.

Why S and not B?

post #5604 of 6936

I tried to use my B mode with Hugo.. but it don't play.. perhaps my optical out is faulty :(.

post #5605 of 6936

what is the name of that adapter

post #5606 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrach View Post

i have noticed absolutely no problems with my 846 and 120
I took your advise and ordered the shure 846, which is coming tomorrow. Thanks for the advice, i have 20 days to decide whether i like it or not. Fingers crossed
post #5607 of 6936

Hi does jh13fp pairs well with ak120? I'll be using an rsa intruder as external amp, however worrying that it will be double amping instead as it does not have a line out. Thanks in advance!

post #5608 of 6936

works great without an amp so should work great with as well.

post #5609 of 6936

How about K3003?

post #5610 of 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papiro2 View Post
 

Why S and not B?

 

There are better single ended amps available than the balanced ones so you'd be limiting yourself to the amp sections available in balanced mode. The HO section of the AK120 as a LO still isn't as good as the one Vinnie creates on the side where the button goes (most likely due to the higher quality plug).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120