Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 261

post #3901 of 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

 

I'm actually quite interested in the S mod for the AK120. Won't have it done for quite some time though but from what I heard its even comparable to desktop rigs which is simply amazing considering its size.

 

Yesssszz.  Can't say enough positive about the S mod.  Knew i had something special when i found myself hearing some things with greater clarity than I do with my soundserver playing through my highly modified home system including dCS stack, TacT room correction, and Martin Logan CLS IIz's.  Simply amazing for a portable rig.  And for those who want to go running with just the AK120, I've used it standalone (no amp) with my headphones and a Shure in-line attenuator.  Talked to Vinnie about it.  He said I might come up with some impedance related issues but it sounds pretty good.  

post #3902 of 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb View Post
 

Finally was able to get my hi-def files into my AK120 thanks to the PS3.  Last night, spent some time listening to Kind of Blue and heard some elements I've never heard before, even on my home system.  After difficulties with a first PS3 unit which overheated, it was a total breeze......much easier than expected.  I've already heard from some of you, but If anyone needs help getting one set up let me know.

 

Congrats Harry,

I'll be in touch!
Sam
post #3903 of 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb View Post
 

 

Yesssszz.  Can't say enough positive about the S mod.  Knew i had something special when i found myself hearing some things with greater clarity than I do with my soundserver playing through my highly modified home system including dCS stack, TacT room correction, and Martin Logan CLS IIz's.  Simply amazing for a portable rig.  And for those who want to go running with just the AK120, I've used it standalone (no amp) with my headphones and a Shure in-line attenuator.  Talked to Vinnie about it.  He said I might come up with some impedance related issues but it sounds pretty good.  

 

With what amp & headphone do you use your RWAK-120-S  when you are at home ?  

 

Also, could you specify what is the " soundserver " that you mention in your home system ? 

 

 

thanks


Edited by bmichels - 9/18/13 at 3:38pm
post #3904 of 6365

I've been using Sennheiser HD600's and SR71a.  I've been using these same headphones for a number of years.  I also use Sennheiser IE800's when i'm on the move.  In my home system I'm using a MusicVault Diamond Whisper with all SSD drives.  

post #3905 of 6365
Big ups to Vinnie @ Red Wine Audio! My rwa120b is in transit as I type and I can't wait! He's been truly awesome to work with and I've got nothing but high praise for him! I'll give a full review when I feel comfortable with it biggrin.gif
post #3906 of 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSC View Post

Big ups to Vinnie @ Red Wine Audio! My rwa120b is in transit as I type and I can't wait! He's been truly awesome to work with and I've got nothing but high praise for him! I'll give a full review when I feel comfortable with it biggrin.gif

So you only need to praise him for the mod, no need to pay? :biggrin:

post #3907 of 6365

I'd like to add further praise to Vinnie for the "plain" RWAK120 mod.  I think right now it's my preferred portable solution taking into account size, capacity, user-friendliness and sound quality.  Only downside so far is the big hit on the wallet.

post #3908 of 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkppl View Post

So you only need to praise him for the mod, no need to pay? biggrin.gif

Well, actually... smily_headphones1.gif
post #3909 of 6365

:evil:

post #3910 of 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb View Post
 

I've been using Sennheiser HD600's and SR71a.  I've been using these same headphones for a number of years.  I also use Sennheiser IE800's when i'm on the move.  In my home system I'm using a MusicVault Diamond Whisper with all SSD drives.  

 

Thanks for the answer.   the MusicVault Diamond Whisper seems to be very interested indeed !

Buy why this one rather than a more common brand like Aurender for example ? What is so magic with the MusicVault ? 

post #3911 of 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSC View Post

Big ups to Vinnie @ Red Wine Audio! My rwa120b is in transit as I type and I can't wait! He's been truly awesome to work with and I've got nothing but high praise for him! I'll give a full review when I feel comfortable with it biggrin.gif

Have you ordered the TRRS/RSA cable from Vinnie also? I am seriously thinking about going for this mod but cannot find anywhere over here that supplies that cable.
Look forward to your thoughts on the mod when you get it.
post #3912 of 6365
From Facebook
post #3913 of 6365

Oooh, someone has updated his iPhone... :-P

post #3914 of 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

 

Thanks for the answer.   the MusicVault Diamond Whisper seems to be very interested indeed !

Buy why this one rather than a more common brand like Aurender for example ? What is so magic with the MusicVault ? 

 

No "magic" with the MusicVault.......but all I can say is it sounds amazing and competes favorably with my highly modified Wadia 270se transport.  I studied up on soundservers for quite a while before i settled on the Musicvault.  Besides the awesome sound, Neil Van Berg of Sound Science who produces the MusicVaults is an incredible resource.  He remotely sets up the whole deal and is available to help at a moments notice.

post #3915 of 6365

hmm... feel like modify my ak to mod b

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120