Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 258

post #3856 of 5744

I know one other user has downgraded their firmware from 1.33 to 1.32, but does anyone else feel 1.33 has more sibilance and is more fatiguing than 1.32? I have to be honest and say I'm not liking 1.33 as much.

post #3857 of 5744
I initially liked 1.33 but thought I would try 1.32 again and must admit after my initial thoughts about 1.33 I am finding 1.32 a tad smoother in comparison. I think I got caught out by a little more immediacy with 1.33 but I think that is more to do with being a little brighter rather than speed. I probably would have stuck with it though if it did what they said it would do and allow album art and info on DSD but on the albums i have there was not change!
post #3858 of 5744

I actually found 1.33 to be more distant in it's presentation. I liked 1.32 better due to there being more intimacy. Especially in the vocals. I didn't really have issues with the sound being more fatiguing on 1.33. But I was also using the AK120 amped and was listening to DSD when I came to these conclusions. I'm back on 1.32 as well.

post #3859 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards View Post
 

If somebody is sitting on the fence about the AK120, B&H has a used one. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800986219-USE/Astell_Kern_AK120_AK120_Portable_High_Fidelity_Audio.html

 

Sold, what was the price? Just curious.

 

I'm not sure if it's listening burn in or unit burn in? But the last 20 hours or so have been music bliss. And this last trip on airplanes I forgot to bring my Miracles, because I have been enjoying the 334s so much with the AK120. If the isolation was as good as the Miracles in blocking engine noise........I'd be a one IEM guy.

 

One thing is, I'm only getting about 8 hours of straight playing time. I do adjust the volume quite a bit from the wheel with the screen off and from time to time use the forward and back buttons on the outside.  I don't do much surfing at all. Lossless ALAC files for the mot part.

 

Shouldn't I be getting about 10-12 hours?

post #3860 of 5744
Think it was for $900 or something like that. Quite a decent 2nd hand price assuming in LNIB condition.
post #3861 of 5744

I was the one that posted the unit at B&H, and if I remember correctly it was $995, LNIB.

-Sam

post #3862 of 5744

NPR covers DSD...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/09/11/219727031/what-does-a-song-that-costs-5-sound-like

 

Amazing how fast the hi-res haters filled up comments. Why don't these people buy some decent equipment?

To be fair I was thinking of down-converting my hi-res files to 44.1/16bit flacs and putting them on my AK120 set to shuffle. See how many times it hit the skip button on the lower res files. Would that be scientific enough for them?

Or maybe hi-res is BS...

Does anybody know of a good flac>mp3 encoder, that down converts on the mac?

post #3863 of 5744
Max
http://sbooth.org/Max/

Or XLD
http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html


Also the Blue Coast Records website states that WAV is
Quote:
the original sound of the uncompressed audio offers better sound than mp3 or FLAC.


Well with my current setup at work I hear absolutely no difference between the 5.6 MHz DSD file and the 320 kbps MP3 one with randomly pressing the FF key to mix them up in Audirvana Plus; the only way I can do a blind test with my current software with DSD files.
Edited by miceblue - 9/11/13 at 2:22pm
post #3864 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards View Post
 

NPR covers DSD...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/09/11/219727031/what-does-a-song-that-costs-5-sound-like

 

Amazing how fast the hi-res haters filled up comments. Why don't these people buy some decent equipment?

To be fair I was thinking of down-converting my hi-res files to 44.1/16bit flacs and putting them on my AK120 set to shuffle. See how many times it hit the skip button on the lower res files. Would that be scientific enough for them?

Or maybe hi-res is BS...

Does anybody know of a good flac>mp3 encoder, that down converts on the mac?

 

I think XLD will do most anything but if you down convert, try 24/48. It's a really nice compromise.

post #3865 of 5744

Finally got my PS3 working and getting my SACD collection done.  I had a hiccup because the initial unit I received was faulty, but luckily, the seller on ebay replaced it.  I'd be glad to help anyone who wants to set up a PS3....it is NOT difficult.   Also, if anyone doesn't want to go this route but needs a few of their discs ripped to drive, I could do that.  It might take a few days because each rip takes about 15 mins.

post #3866 of 5744

I came from iPod>corda stepdance>SE535 with most of my music are modern music in VBR@320

 

I got myself AK120 paired with K3003 and listening to Lee Morgan - Sidewinder in HD, the sound BLEW ME AWAY! 

 

I never thought I would move my body listening to a piano + bass + drums and trumpets! LOL

 

Btw, I am very happy with the sq I get from the above combo but I wouldn't say no to an amp to add to this combo if it will improve the sq :-)

Can anyone recommend an amp to add to my setup for portable use?


Edited by Cougar2465 - 9/13/13 at 7:52pm
post #3867 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post
 

I'm only getting about 8 hours of straight playing time. I do adjust the volume quite a bit from the wheel with the screen off and from time to time use the forward and back buttons on the outside.  I don't do much surfing at all. Lossless ALAC files for the mot part.

 

Shouldn't I be getting about 10-12 hours?

Anyone SVP?

post #3868 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Anyone SVP?

I can definitely get more than 10 with volume level from 37 to 45 when I had mine. Mainly 16/44 flac with occasional album in 24/96.
post #3869 of 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

I can definitely get more than 10 with volume level from 37 to 45 when I had mine. Mainly 16/44 flac with occasional album in 24/96.

I am about the same with similar use. Mind, if i just do DSD then it can go down to around 3 hours!
post #3870 of 5744

I can get around 5 hours with DSD. Of course changing tracks regularly would lower that a bit....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120