Seems a little too big and way too expensive for me T T
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread Last post on 4/12/15 at 8:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell kern ak120 help or advice needed Last post on 2/13/15 at 8:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
This is my first review on head-fi. I had humble beginnings in my path as an audiophile that only officially started once I got the wonderful AKG K550 and grew more conscious of the link between...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank RIVA Audio team for a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Thanks to the original Jambox, going back a few years, wireless...
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/ It takes a lot of confidence to name your product after the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. If your going to honor the legendary mach 3+ strategic reconnaissance...
Every 6 months I've had the pleasure of talking to Shinobu Karaki of Aurorasound at the Tokyo headphone festivals. As an ex-Texas Instruments employee he has come up with some interesting...
For me, the Audeze EL-8Cs satisfy a long awaited two year search for a closed headphone that I can use at work that sound just as good as my home theater setup. I enjoy them so much, that I cannot...
The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 24
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The USB dac feature will be great! So essentially a high-res USB dac than can play all file types streaming from a computer. I wonder if any drivers will be needed to be be installed on the computer.
As for DSD, the only way I can ever see this being done is via software-based DSD to PCM conversion, because the WM8740 will not take DSD direct. IMHO, if you are going to do DSD to PCM conversion, then don't bother with DSD. Native DSD is where it is at when using that format (as well as with the recording phase. ie, native DSD recorded files, not PCM files converted to DSD).
JmoonAK - thanks for keeping us posted when the AK120 will be available in the USA.
All the best,
I'm with you, Cheers!
Regarding the AK120, If they got it right, it should be better than any amp Gavin can add to the 100. Dual dacs allows more current per DAC or differential use per channel resulting in a few db better signal to noise ratio and just better low level tracking in general. If the amp stage is just OK. it should be enough to rule the 100 with IEMs.
Edited by goodvibes - 5/17/13 at 4:48am
Dudes, I am curious about that 1/8 rule. So this little devil has 3 OI. If we pair it with 20 impedance ciems, will there be 'problems'.
AK100 has hell of a pages of discussions related to it but that one has way much higher OI (22 if I am not mistaking). I am thinking if 3 is relatively nice or we should def. get something less than 1 ohm (like ibasso dx100/50 or FiiO X3/X5).
PS: I am kinda tech noob person, please go easy on me
I think I even read somewhere that the measured impedance is closer to 5ohm but maybe I'm imagining things lol.... It does pair very well with my 334 (again don't trust me as I'm still in my honeymoon with the AK120 lol) and a lot better with an old xba4ip which was really crap with ak100
- The Astell & Kern AK120
- › Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP 44 seconds ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 4 minutes ago
- › hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central 5 minutes ago
- › The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90 7 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr - $499/£399 8 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 8 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 8 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DreamKing
- › Riva TurboX High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth Speaker (Black) by twister6
- › Ray Samuels Emmeline "The Black Bird" SR-71A Portable... by Stereocilia
- › Aurorasound HEADA Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Currawong
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by bearcat1986
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V3 by YoYo JoKeR
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by DJScope
- › HiFiMAN HE-500 by MrJohnny
- › Shure SE112m+-GR Sound Isolating Earphones with Remote + Microphone... by pformagg
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by Luckbad
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2