Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 228

post #3406 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Astell &Kern AK120 Mk2 To Be Honest.. Least I think thats what he means! biggrin.gif

To us pre-cell phone old codgers Harry its all gobbledegook! biggrin.gif

 

Ah....got it.  Thanks!!!  wink_face.gif

post #3407 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb View Post

 

Hate to display my ignorance, but could someone explain to me what an AK120 MK2 TBH is??  

 

whoops yeah TBH = to be honest.  that's what I would prefer :P I can see why it looks weird when written that way lol sorry about that

post #3408 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


I see NO problem with usability. What issues do you have. My only issue is that since I have somethimg5 like 140gb on it, it takes some time to charge whem I come back to my main folder or playlist. And I would defintely be VERY interested by a new define with even better sound and all the existing qualities in terms of build and ergonomics.


I have to agree with them Mimou. They AK120 is not perfect in regards to UI but it is also not far from it either. For one the playlists needs to be fixed! I give up on adding as I go. I've added too much to go through this again. Iriver just needs to get their tails in gear and get proper m3u playback working. This way I can just simply synch my playlists as well as music from media monkey to the device and be done with it. No one should have to manually go through this bs to get something as basic as playlist to work....

 

I also agree with the DSD delays. It really makes the player slug-like. The only solution for this is to pause the current DSD file playing and then scroll to other files. Lastly it would be great to have album art show up as well as the limited tags that are available on WAV. It worked on the DX100 I don't see why not on the AK120. I mostly use WAV on my player so this would be nice. Overall though I'm very happy with the device. I just hope they will fix the playlist support most of all :P.


Edited by lee730 - 8/21/13 at 4:07pm
post #3409 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post

 

Yeah I'd rather see an AK120 MK2 TBH with more features, slightly improved sound. They could consider some of the RWA mod when making decisions. I really wish there was a line out and headphone out with this unit. I would have bought it already, but I'm too worried about using it as a home DAC, and the RWA S mod is too expensive especially with the need for a portable amp, which I do not own.

If you haven't heard it, you're being too critical. The output impedance is fine, the dual DACs are also VG and allow it to play longer with it's internal amp than the RWAK DACs would. The headphone out is a fine line out as well. It's very transparent as anyone that's tried it that way can attest. I do believe it can be improved by making it have a more specific use as RWAK has done but it also makes it less versitile and the opposite of what you're asking for.


Edited by goodvibes - 8/21/13 at 4:29pm
post #3410 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

If you haven't heard it, you're being too critical. The output impedance is fine, the dual DACs are also VG and allow it to play longer with it's internal amp. The headphone out is a fine line out as well. It's very transparent as anyone that's tried it that way can attest. I do believe it can be improved by making it have a more specific use as RWAK is but just makes it less versitile and the opposite of what you're asking for.


goodvibes there may have been a reason why they kept it at 3 ohms. I mean I don't have the same issues I had on the RWA unit with it being overly aggressive in the upper mids, lower treble. As well as bass not being as bloated (on 1.00 firmware). I was wondering if they lowered the impedance to that of the RWA would there be the same results? Could the wiring used to bypass the resistor/s also cause this?


Edited by lee730 - 8/21/13 at 4:13pm
post #3411 of 6296
Just downloading my first DSD album so that will be tonights listening!
https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/420085

Oh and got this great little case for when the player is in my courier bag!

Edited by ianmedium - 8/21/13 at 4:53pm
post #3412 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I have to agree with them Mimou. They AK120 is not perfect in regards to UI but it is also not far from it either. For one the playlists needs to be fixed! I give up on adding as I go. I've added too much to go through this again. Iriver just needs to get their tails in gear and get proper m3u playback working. This way I can just simply synch my playlists as well as music from media monkey to the device and be done with it. No one should have to manually go through this bs to get something as basic as playlist to work....

 

I also agree with the DSD delays. It really makes the player slug-like. The only solution for this is to pause the current DSD file playing and then scroll to other files. Lastly it would be great to have album art show up as well as the limited tags that are available on WAV. It worked on the DX100 I don't see why not on the AK120. I mostly use WAV on my player so this would be nice. Overall though I'm very happy with the device. I just hope they will fix the playlist support most of all :P.

I think the DSD is just there for those that already have them but since it converts them to PCM before playback anyway, it seems that just using PCM fles would be the way to go when there's a choice. I don't have that lag even with 24/192.

post #3413 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


goodvibes there may have been a reason why they kept it at 3 ohms. I mean I don't have the same issues I had on the RWA unit with it being overly aggressive in the upper mids, lower treble. As well as bass not being as bloated (on 1.00 firmware). I was wondering if they lowered the impedance to that of the RWA would there be the same results? Could the wiring used to bypass the resistor/s also cause this?

It may be unrelated or not. You'd have to hear both to find out. I think that some of the Russian modders prefered a small resistor to no none on the AK100 but that may not relate to the AK120 or even be what another would prefer. Very hard to know these things without a personal audition.

 

I just got this inexpensive hybrid cable from a member here and I think it may be a winner even before it has any time on it. Kind of like a cleaner stock cable on steriods and a little added warmth to the mids. The AK120 has also warmed up nicely with use. It's an intimate presentation that still scales well and I like that. I'm surprised it can have this much natural color without sounding at all colored. It's very informative wothout being analytical. I'll be on Holiday next week and I have a mix of every format from 400CBR on up to 24/192 going in to listen to. 128gb will be plenty as I can't ignore the wife the entire time. I'll let you know how it sounds on Cuba Libre's. Oh wait, you probably already do.bigsmile_face.gif

post #3414 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

I think the DSD is just there for those that already have them but since it converts them to PCM before playback anyway, it seems that just using PCM fles would be the way to go when there's a choice. I don't have that lag even with 24/192.


I compared DSD files converted to PCM 88 and the PCM was louder and had less dynamic range than the SACD rip. This was from Wham! SACD. Sounds noticeably better in original DSD. Both still sound good though.

post #3415 of 6296

Wish list for the "next" AK120:

 

- Dual WM8741s, software controlled and with the option to run MPF (minimal phase filter) in the software menus.

- Line out (can use the same jack as the optical in, as there is not signal going in/out of the contacts of this jack) and HP out.

- 3-ohm OI is not bad, but not ideal if you are using low impedance IEMs (like 8 or 16 ohm).

- Native DSD playback, since this is possible with the WM8741s

- Drop the bluetooth if it saves any battery life (probably not much if the bluetooth is turned "off", but I haven't tested it).

- Keep the thickness the same, but if playtime can be increased by making it a little longer (e.g. length of iPhone), then consider it if it adds

a few hours, as the AK120 is still plenty small. 

- Ideally, allow for some more voltage swing on the output stage so it can go a little louder on headphones like LCD2/3, HE500, etc.  But ONLY

if the quality of the output stage is not compromised in any way.  High/low gain setting would be ideal as well, so one doesn't have to attenuate

so much with sensitive IEMs.

- A bigger screen is always a plus, but not nearly as important to me as the above items.

 

This would make for a bas ass DAP, IMHO!

post #3416 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I have to agree with them Mimou. They AK120 is not perfect in regards to UI but it is also not far from it either. For one the playlists needs to be fixed! I give up on adding as I go. I've added too much to go through this again. Iriver just needs to get their tails in gear and get proper m3u playback working. This way I can just simply synch my playlists as well as music from media monkey to the device and be done with it. No one should have to manually go through this bs to get something as basic as playlist to work....

 

I also agree with the DSD delays. It really makes the player slug-like. The only solution for this is to pause the current DSD file playing and then scroll to other files. Lastly it would be great to have album art show up as well as the limited tags that are available on WAV. It worked on the DX100 I don't see why not on the AK120. I mostly use WAV on my player so this would be nice. Overall though I'm very happy with the device. I just hope they will fix the playlist support most of all :P.

 

I second all of that, particularly the .wav metatag and cover art support, and playlists.  This is not rocket science.

post #3417 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie R. View Post

Wish list for the "next" AK120:

 

- Dual WM8741s, software controlled and with the option to run MPF (minimal phase filter) in the software menus.

- Line out (can use the same jack as the optical in, as there is not signal going in/out of the contacts of this jack) and HP out.

- 3-ohm OI is not bad, but not ideal if you are using low impedance IEMs (like 8 or 16 ohm).

- Native DSD playback, since this is possible with the WM8741s

- Drop the bluetooth if it saves any battery life (probably not much if the bluetooth is turned "off", but I haven't tested it).

- Keep the thickness the same, but if playtime can be increased by making it a little longer (e.g. length of iPhone), then consider it if it adds

a few hours, as the AK120 is still plenty small. 

- Ideally, allow for some more voltage swing on the output stage so it can go a little louder on headphones like LCD2/3, HE500, etc.  But ONLY

if the quality of the output stage is not compromised in any way.  High/low gain setting would be ideal as well, so one doesn't have to attenuate

so much with sensitive IEMs.

- A bigger screen is always a plus, but not nearly as important to me as the above items.

 

This would make for a bas ass DAP, IMHO!

Vinnie:  How about offering all that as a mod??  I'll send my unit back.  Call it the RWAK120 TurboS.

post #3418 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie R. View Post

- Native DSD playback, since this is possible with the WM8741s

 

Hi Vinnie,

 

Is it not the current AK120 not playing DSD in its native form?  I've heard some SACD players are not real DSD conversion only to have the DSD converted to PCM and do the DA in PCM form.

 

Cheers

post #3419 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post

Hi Vinnie,

 

Is it not the current AK120 not playing DSD in its native form?  I've heard some SACD players are not real DSD conversion only to have the DSD converted to PCM and do the DA in PCM form.

 

Cheers

 

Hi FMTTM,

 

The AK100/120 is also converting DSD to PCM (the WM8740 does not handle native DSD, but the WM8741 does).  

 

Vinnie

post #3420 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb View Post

Vinnie:  How about offering all that as a mod??  I'll send my unit back.  Call it the RWAK120 TurboS.

 

Someone like LISTRID would be the man for the firmware part of it since he already has it and knows his way around it.  I'll take care

of the hardware wink.gif

 

Seriously - I know he's been busy, but if he was interested in making the firmware to allow the WM8741s to run in software mode with the MPF, then

I'll be glad to give him an RWAK120-S beerchug.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120