Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 225

post #3361 of 6290

I have at last shipped off my AK120 for the S mod to Vinnie, yesterdaypopcorn.gif

 

Great review harrybbeerchug.gif

post #3362 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhyar View Post

Very nice....

If only those outside Japan can get hold of it...


You can - whilst Van Nuys only ship/sell within Japan, but Sensui (in a much earlier message in this thread) turned us all on to Kolektakon, a buying service in Japan. I have used them and can confirm they are excellent. Visit http://proxy.kolektakon.com/

post #3363 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb View Post

I'm currently trying to get my hands on some 1plus2's, LCD-3's, and SpiralEar 5's.  I'm trying not to change to many variables at once, including the balance in my bank account.

 

Good luck keeping your 'balance' with that list!  

post #3364 of 6290

One feature I'd like to suggest for the next firmware update:  Allow deletion of a song that is "Playing Now."  Rockbox allows this, I think by queuing the file for deletion once the song is over.  As it is, you have to choose another song, then find the song you want to delete in the Songs list.

 

This might not sound like a big deal, but for people like me that are constantly swapping in new songs and albums, the delete function is a key way to keep space available.

post #3365 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


I would rather wait for their new dap...if mentioned it, it means it will come out soon...what will it be...dual sabres and full balanced amp...forget about dx50 and x5...this is interesting. Not for my wallet though.

 

It's always hard to pull the trigger on audio equipment, and computers too.  As soon as you buy something, a new model will be announced.  I guess if we all waited and waited and didn't pull the trigger because a "newer" model will be coming out, we'd all still be using Commodore 64 computers.  When the AK200 is finally released, I'm sure there will be an AK500 in the works.  It will probably have an plug-in external disc drive that will be able to read and copy SACD.  

post #3366 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


I would rather wait for their new dap...if mentioned it, it means it will come out soon...what will it be...dual sabres and full balanced amp...forget about dx50 and x5...this is interesting. Not for my wallet though.


I think it will be expensive enough to get your attention wink.gif

post #3367 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashton View Post


You can - whilst Van Nuys only ship/sell within Japan, but Sensui (in a much earlier message in this thread) turned us all on to Kolektakon, a buying service in Japan. I have used them and can confirm they are excellent. Visit http://proxy.kolektakon.com/

 

Glad someone used his services as I do all the time when buying in Japan (recently Fitear Parterre bundle from yodobashi).  He is a good friend of mine for over 5 years and extremely trustworthy.  He's actually built quite a reputation now for his services and services a lot of enthusiasts for different hobbies ranging from collectables to fashion in Japan.  I just picked up a DX50 and will listen to that first and see how things go before deciding on the ak120 but if I were buying that case (I may, seems like the best option as of now), quite easy to contact Hiromi.

post #3368 of 6290
do i get it right, DX50 sells for 240-270$? gosh, this is cheap, damn cheap vs. ak120 or even ak100.... Tell me more pls :-)
post #3369 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

do i get it right, DX50 sells for 240-270$? gosh, this is cheap, damn cheap vs. ak120 or even ak100.... Tell me more pls :-)


So far it is a very promising unit but nobody heard how it sounds. There is a great hype and I do believe it will kind of good price/performance device. Check the thread, it is moving on lightspeed now since iBasso released officially and started to take orders.

post #3370 of 6290

It's hard to imagine that a newer version would be that much better. I think we'd be getting deeply into diminishing returns.

It will be interesting.

Sam

post #3371 of 6290
Dx50 sounds too good to be true but Ibasso reputation is great so why not, after all priced insanely competitive close to Fiio x3 but Ibasso was always known as master of sound.
post #3372 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards View Post

It's hard to imagine that a newer version would be that much better. I think we'd be getting deeply into diminishing returns.

It will be interesting.

Sam

 

The diminishing returns do not apply to placebo effect, in fact the opposite.

post #3373 of 6290

harryb thanks for your review and sharing your experience with RWAK120S. It’s always nice to hear an opinion from someone who was into vinyl for a long time and I guess you still listen to your vinyl collection. By the way, did you rip any of the vinyl records to be played on AK120 and what codec and bit/sample rate did you use?

post #3374 of 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexberg View Post

harryb thanks for your review and sharing your experience with RWAK120S. It’s always nice to hear an opinion from someone who was into vinyl for a long time and I guess you still listen to your vinyl collection. By the way, did you rip any of the vinyl records to be played on AK120 and what codec and bit/sample rate did you use?

 

I haven't been listening to vinyl for quite a while although I still have lots of vinyl i would love to rip.  I gradually moved from vinyl to digital about 15 years ago and have been listening to almost entirely redbook CD and SACD during that time. Not sure exactly how or why that happened....just did.   My most recent project was to rip my CD collection, and I'm about to rip my SACD collection with a PS3 so everything will be on my NAS.  Once that's done, I may start thinking about ripping any vinyl content that i don't already have on CD or SACD.


Edited by harryb - 8/20/13 at 12:53pm
post #3375 of 6290

Thanks for reply! The reason I’m asking is because my entire music collection is on vinyl except of few CDs. Most probably I’ll be getting AK120 soon, mainly for listening during trips, flights etc.

Same time I’m thinking of archiving my vinyl collection and considering new Tascam DA3000 that can do recording at High Sampling Frequencies DSD 5,6 MHz and PCM up to 192 kHz. As far as I see AK120 can play PCM 192 kHz files without any issues.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120