Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 179

post #2671 of 6276

Wow, just can't believe how good the DSD download of Mahler 1 sounds with the new software.  Fantastic.  Also, www.bluecoastrecords.com honored a 2 for 1 deal and is also offering a 20% discount.  I would check in advance at support@bluecoastrecords.com.  

post #2672 of 6276
Today was freaking hot in NL and the AK120 got really hot, I think around 50 Celsius or more. I started hearing some distortion every now and then. The dac really strugle to work properly when it's very hot. So keep your AK cool, don't use the leather case, the heat can't get away when it's too hot.
Edited by Jazzyfi - 7/19/13 at 2:29am
post #2673 of 6276

hdtracks.com is also offering a discount code via their twitter feed/account.

 

No dsd's (to the best of my knowledge) there but a great source for hi-res music.

post #2674 of 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrpm View Post

hdtracks.com is also offering a discount code via their twitter feed/account.

 

No dsd's (to the best of my knowledge) there but a great source* for hi-res music.

*sometimes

 

I've bought stuff from there that really wasn't what I was expecting...

post #2675 of 6276

For those of you converted to FW 1.3 or 1.32, would you say it is worth installing in place of 1.0 (which is FW currently on my AK120)?

 

My iem's are W4R's. I like the sound with 1.0 and really don't want to mess with it unless you think there is a definite improvement in SQ with the new FW.


Edited by Erethrin - 7/18/13 at 4:51pm
post #2676 of 6276
Have an ak120 and UE18 pro iem. The two sound amazing together (coming from hifiman801 fwiw). Anyhow I just received an RSA Intruder and moon audio balanced cable. First listen with Intruder in the signal path was far less compelling than I'd hoped. Don't like it. Am wondering if this is normal? Is moving to balanced that different? Any others experience something similar? Thx
Edited by Cameron NYC - 7/18/13 at 7:19pm
post #2677 of 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erethrin View Post

For those of you converted to FW 1.3 or 1.32, would you say it is worth installing in place of 1.0 (which is FW currently on my AK120)?

 

I like the sound with 1.0 and really don't want to mess with it unless you think there is a definite improvement in SQ with the new FW.

x2 ??

Headphones ED8/ES10/JH13

 

Edit-FWIW I have liked the sq quite a bit however notice with the Pico Power amp in line and listening with the ED8 there is a somewhat unnatural bass sound, a thump to it and the upper ends do sound just the slightest bit rough.  It is really nitpicking but I have been doing some a/b with other player when noticing that the bass there with the 1.0 is not exactly as well integrated.  Maybe the newer FW smooths it out a touch....?  The mids and upper end though does have an incredible airiness and are well layered for sure.  Yes, i think the bass is somewhat off, the more i listen, but only after comparing to other sources.


Edited by dallan - 7/18/13 at 5:58pm
post #2678 of 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erethrin View Post

For those of you converted to FW 1.3 or 1.32, would you say it is worth installing in place of 1.0 (which is FW currently on my AK120)?

 

My iem's are W4R's. I like the sound with 1.0 and really don't want to mess with it unless you think there is a definite improvement in SQ with the new FW.

 

For me is a YES. The latest FW 1.32 is better than all the old one.................................L3000.gif

post #2679 of 6276

The biggest difference for me so far on 1.32 is the UI is much snappier.

post #2680 of 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbig View Post

The biggest difference for me so far on 1.32 is the UI is much snappier.

 

Is it snappy when playing hiRes or DSD tracks?  My unit is on 1.30 and navigating around menus become MUCH SLOWER when playing these bigger files....

post #2681 of 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

 

Is it snappy when playing hiRes or DSD tracks?  My unit is on 1.30 and navigating around menus become MUCH SLOWER when playing these bigger files....


With DSD it gets sluggish. Seems to be ok when going back to Hi res FLAC.

post #2682 of 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erethrin View Post

For those of you converted to FW 1.3 or 1.32, would you say it is worth installing in place of 1.0 (which is FW currently on my AK120)?

 

My iem's are W4R's. I like the sound with 1.0 and really don't want to mess with it unless you think there is a definite improvement in SQ with the new FW.


You can always switch back to 1.00, it has been posted. I have it otherwise. In my opinion 1.00 sounds too dark and congested and 1.32 is significantly better in terms of SQ plus you get USB DAC and DSD (this I really couldn't care less).

post #2683 of 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


You can always switch back to 1.00, it has been posted. I have it otherwise. In my opinion 1.00 sounds too dark and congested and 1.32 is significantly better in terms of SQ plus you get USB DAC and DSD (this I really couldn't care less).


You got PM ;).

post #2684 of 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


You can always switch back to 1.00, it has been posted. I have it otherwise. In my opinion 1.00 sounds too dark and congested and 1.32 is significantly better in terms of SQ plus you get USB DAC and DSD (this I really couldn't care less).


Where is the link to the 1.32 and am i correct that u just download it and then drag the hex file to the internal memory?
post #2685 of 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post


Where is the link to the 1.32 and am i correct that u just download it and then drag the hex file to the internal memory?


I posted it earlier: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao60mz3gdra5v7e/AK120%201.32.hex

 

You have to rename it to AK120.HEX then drag it to the root of the AK120 and you are good.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120