Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 159

post #2371 of 6313

Intriguingly if you look at the block diagram for the 8741 which does support DSD 'natively', you can see that it does a PCM conversion internally - Are there any DACs that do direct DSD modulation?

 

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/images/uploads/block_diagrams/en/WM8741BlockDiagram.gif

post #2372 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercer View Post

Intriguingly if you look at the block diagram for the 8741 which does support DSD 'natively', you can see that it does a PCM conversion internally - Are there any DACs that do direct DSD modulation?

 

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/images/uploads/block_diagrams/en/WM8741BlockDiagram.gif

 

Piercer I think that is still the point. The fact that it is doing it on a hardware level opposed to using software. Hardware is for the most part gonna always be superior to software emulation.

post #2373 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

I agree I just went back to it and it did sound more on the muddy side with the bass being overly emphasized. So I reverted back to 1.11 with Listrid 2.0 applied. smily_headphones1.gif Still it is nice to finally have the option to go back and compare for oneself.
Glad you think too. I thought I was crazy being the only one not liking 1.00
post #2374 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Glad you think too. I thought I was crazy being the only one not liking 1.00

 

Well initially it wasn't this bass from what I recall. With usage the unit may have opened up more and bass emphasis increased. I'm not sure. I just don't remember it being this bassy though lol. Or maybe even my 1Plus2s themselves have increased in bass presence since then as they were replaced under RMA and you factor in the new gold cable. So there are many variables. But yes as of now I don't like the sound so much. When I pump up the volume the bass just takes over :P.
post #2375 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Glad you think too. I thought I was crazy being the only one not liking 1.00

Can't wait to try. M I think the bigger fuss wasn't re the sound itself but the way iriver ignored repeated requests from early loyal adopters to provide a firmware that is publicly released and shipped with.... we kept on beating the horse not entirely because we are absolutely positive which sound better but for a lack of choice to go back if we do like 1.00 better....
post #2376 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbleroar View Post

I thought the dac in it didnt support native dsd playing so I assume it converts to PCM? Isn't that a bit of a waste? You're not going to get the same quality as natively playing a dsd file are you?
That's kinda my thinking too that if its not DSD native, what's the difference between realtime s/w conversion & downsample vs pre-play conversion/downsample via AudioGate. It'll be a waste of SDCard space.

The only thing I can think of are differences on algorithms for the conversion & downsampling. Am I missing something?

Note even if the DAC supports DSD natively, the circuitry around it (e.g. clock) needs to factored in if I'm not mistaken - which is why the HDP-R10, despite having the ES9018, doesn't do native DSD playback.

Someone is more than welcome to correct my understanding if I'm wrong here.
post #2377 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post



.....I think the bigger fuss wasn't re the sound itself but the way iriver ignored repeated requests from early loyal adopters to provide a firmware that is publicly released and shipped with.... we kept on beating the horse not entirely because we are absolutely positive which sound better but for a lack of choice to go back if we do like 1.00 better....

 

++++ EXACTLY ++++
post #2378 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

I agree I just went back to it and it did sound more on the muddy side with the bass being overly emphasized. So I reverted back to 1.11 with Listrid 2.0 applied. :) Still it is nice to finally have the option to go back and compare for oneself.

Lee, where can we get 1.11? (just incase the jonesing get's too much for me :)

post #2379 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Lee, where can we get 1.11? (just incase the jonesing get's too much for me :)

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663188/the-astell-kern-ak120/2250

post #2380 of 6313
Quote:

Downloaded thanks. So is it still a 'beta' release?

post #2381 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Downloaded thanks. So is it still a 'beta' release?

 

Technically JMoon removed the link from his post earlier on since he didn't have the proper permission to post it. But he gave me the download and a few others grabbed it while they were on the thread before he deleted his post. So basically this is a beta firmware before they released 1.21. I like it better than 1.21 personally. Combine the Listrid 2.0 patch over this and it sounds even better IMO. Haven't tried the 1.21 and Listrid 1.0 combo which some others also seem to like.

post #2382 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

Technically JMoon removed the link from his post earlier on since he didn't have the proper permission to post it. But he gave me the download and a few others grabbed it while they were on the thread before he deleted his post. So basically this is a beta firmware before they released 1.21. I like it better than 1.21 personally. Combine the Listrid 2.0 patch over this and it sounds even better IMO. Haven't tried the 1.21 and Listrid 1.0 combo which some others also seem to like.

Got it. Listrid 1 get's hung up downloading at about 29. with 3.9 to go from the Russian site. Trying  Tried again now and hung at 5.8 MB.  

 

Maybe it's sign from the Audio G-d not to do cool.gif


Edited by Saraguie - 7/11/13 at 12:05pm
post #2383 of 6313

LOL - I just heard the authorities yell out through their megaphones "will the man with the AK120 please remove his headphones...".  I think I have listening fatigue.  Downloaded from the newly posted link to the 1.00 FW and it doesn't seem like I remember.  But to be honest nothing's sounding very good at the moment.  I probably need a break from doing all of these comparisons!

post #2384 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Got it. Listrid 1 get's hung up downloading at about 29. with 3.9 to go from the Russian site. Trying  Tried again now and hung at 5.8 MB.  

 

Maybe it's sign from the Audio G-d not to do cool.gif

 

If you want I can upload it via dropbox to you. Just give me a little. It must be telling you 1.0 sucks ;).
post #2385 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post

I probably need a break from doing all of these comparisons!

 

LOL X LOL

 

Let's summarize: 3 iriver FW's: 1.00, 1.11, 1.21, and 2 Russian FW's Listrid: 1.0 & 2.0, that's (6) possible combinations.

 

Oh, and don't forget the new iriver FW on July 15, so add another (2) combo's.

 

Who needs new music to listen to when there's enough FW combinations to keep us busy for weeks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120