Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 152

post #2266 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Ok I will check. Thanks. But a priori I am liking 1.11 + 1.0. Good balance between airiness and fullness.

 

I'm just curious though Mimou. Seems like so many patches floating around it's confusing the hell out of me. Also factoring in these files are varying in size... Once I blew the file up from zip it matches the same file size as Listrid 2.0 yet burtomr says its not.... confused_face(1).gif

post #2267 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

Wladrus do you know exactly what patch this is? The link below is the patch that I found to sound best on the AK120 with 1.11 beta firmware applied beforehand. Just looking at the size of both of these firmwares is confusing the hell out of me lol.

 

  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tft1ydwrdbk9dh2/ld5FLyRPtT/Listrid%20patch%202/AK100.hex

 

More size - Listrid -2.0
post #2268 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by wladrus View Post

 

More size - Listrid -2.0

 

Then I was right. Burtomr why are you confusing everyone lol! (you know I'm just joking right? ;).

 

On a plus note I am still gushing on how damn good this combination sounds! :). The sound is so palpable as if you can touch it.


Edited by lee730 - 7/8/13 at 9:27am
post #2269 of 6313

Streaming music on my computed and listening to it with the AK120 acting as a DAC, without additional amp, already sounds pretty good to me. Really nice feature...


Edited by Mimouille - 7/8/13 at 12:05am
post #2270 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Streaming music on my computed and listening to it with the 1AK120 acting as a DAC, without additional amp, already sounds pretty good to me. Really nice feature...

 

I agree is it a pretty nifty feature to have while on the go. I still won't use it when at  home for the most part but still :).

post #2271 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

I'm just curious though Mimou. Seems like so many patches floating around it's confusing the hell out of me. Also factoring in these files are varying in size... Once I blew the file up from zip it matches the same file size as Listrid 2.0 yet burtomr says its not.... confused_face(1).gif


I actually had all these files from the start, and downloaded them again to make sure I had the right one, and I did. So I am on 1.11 + 2.0 for sure now :). And it sounds great, thanks Lee. Add to this the DAC function and my interest in the 901 just waned considerably :)

post #2272 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


I actually had all these files from the start, and downloaded them again to make sure I had the right one, and I did. So I am on 1.11 + 2.0 for sure now :). And it sounds great, thanks Lee. Add to this the DAC function and my interest in the 901 just waned considerably :)


So it does sound better to you? If so I'm glad :). I won't post this sort of stuff if I indeed didn't think it was worth sharing. Not that I expect you to remember exactly what 1.00 sounded like in comparison. But could you give a comparison from memory? At least from my memory I do feel 1.11 with this Listrid patch is even better. More controlled in the bass yet not lacking in bass at all. Still very much on the warm side but at the same time detailed and spacious (what I consider a balanced presentation). There is so much depth within the sound staging. It is crazy (the **** that happens in the background).

 

I still haven't given the Kaede a go yet. I've been intoxicated by the 1Plus2 pairing lol. smily_headphones1.gif I'll give the 8As a shot as well but just from the amount of bass that is on this combination the 8As will be bass monsters for sure....


Edited by lee730 - 7/8/13 at 12:18am
post #2273 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


So it does sound better to you? If so I'm glad :). I won't post this sort of stuff if I indeed didn't think it was worth sharing. Not that I expect you to remember exactly what 1.00 sounded like in comparison. But could you give a comparison from memory? At least from my memory I do feel 1.11 with this Listrid patch is even better. More controlled in the bass yet not lacking in bass at all. Still very much on the warm side but at the same time detailed and spacious (what I consider a balanced presentation). There is so much depth within the sound staging. It is crazy (the **** that happens in the background).

 

I still haven't given the Kaede a go yet. I've been intoxicated by the 1Plus2 pairing lol. smily_headphones1.gif I'll give the 8As a shot as well but just from the amount of bass that is on this combination the 8As will be bass monsters for sure....


I am on the Miracles now, I used them as my reference for FW comparisons. Here is my take:

  • 1.00 had nice punch and fullness, but definetly too dark. It sounded congested with all iems except 1plus2 IMO. SE5 was ok, Kaede and Miracles a bit stuffy
  • 1.21 + Listrid 2.0 is very nice, quite airy and spacious, sometimes lacking some punch / weight, but this is really minor to me. Still better sounding than 1.00
  • 1.11 + Listrid 2.0 is a good balance: punchy and weighty yet with some space / air. Significantly better to these Monkey ears than 1.00

 

With 1.00, I was seriously considering modding the AK120. I could feel the potential but the air was really lacking to my taste. Now I might still mod to try, but I do not need it.

post #2274 of 6313

Have someone look into the hex file? I'm very curious if Listrid's is all about EQing or really different decoder. It seems that from the the iRiver firmware put a new decoder and Listrid patch the EQ. That's the only logical explanation why each combination sounds different.

post #2275 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyfi View Post

Have someone look into the hex file? I'm very curious if Listrid's is all about EQing or really different decoder. It seems that from the the iRiver firmware put a new decoder and Listrid patch the EQ. That's the only logical explanation why each combination sounds different.


Well that is possible but that isn't necessarily it. Ibasso has done this before without touching the EQ yet still altering the sound. In there case one of the instances was a command to the ES chip that lowered the power output to it which lead to a fall in sound quality. I remember hearing that the Listrid has a higher output power via the HO than the Stock AK100 firmware and that could be it.


Edited by lee730 - 7/8/13 at 3:55am
post #2276 of 6313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyfi View Post

Have someone look into the hex file? I'm very curious if Listrid's is all about EQing or really different decoder. It seems that from the the iRiver firmware put a new decoder and Listrid patch the EQ. That's the only logical explanation why each combination sounds different.

For someone that uses after market cables, it's a little odd to see that you think EQ is the 'only' logical conclusion. FWs definitely can sound different without EQ, often without intention by the tech.

post #2277 of 6313

I agree that FW can sound different. What I don't understand is the combination of firmware. So basically the Listrid's firmware is not overwriting everything from the iRiver's firmware but only a part of it.. And I think that is the EQ part (at least from my logic), but of course I might be wrong. That's why I asked if somebody already dive deeper into the code.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

For someone that uses after market cables, it's a little odd to see that you think EQ is the 'only' logical conclusion. FWs definitely can sound different without EQ, often without intention by the tech.

 

Update: I'm wrong. lee730's example of iBasso make a lot of sense.


Edited by Jazzyfi - 7/8/13 at 5:14am
post #2278 of 6313

Make a lot of sense. Thanks!

 

It's true that usually company releases firmware update to fix power leakage but like what you said you never know how it effect the sound quality. Good sound quality = a lot of power = short battery life redface.gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Well that is possible but that isn't necessarily it. Ibasso has done this before without touching the EQ yet still altering the sound. In there case one of the instances was a command to the ES chip that lowered the power output to it which lead to a fall in sound quality. I remember hearing that the Listrid has a higher output power via the HO than the Stock AK100 firmware and that could be it.

post #2279 of 6313
Edit: You did see my post lol :P.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyfi View Post

Make a lot of sense. Thanks!

 

It's true that usually company releases firmware update to fix power leakage but like what you said you never know how it effect the sound quality. Good sound quality = a lot of power = short battery life redface.gif.

 

 

I haven't really been testing on how long the battery lasts. For my usage it lasts longer than I need to so I have no issues with it. The battery life seems to be around the same for me. I could be wrong though.


Edited by lee730 - 7/8/13 at 5:20am
post #2280 of 6313

Yes, I read it. Already updated my post. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

Jazzyfi if you didn't read what I said above. People have commented on the AK100 output being higher with the Listrid firmware (more power) which can possibly account for the sound quality differences. This was the case on the DX100 on 1.3.2 sounding like crap (it lacked power and was bloated). Still other iterations of the ibasso firmware sound different from the previous versions so I'm sure there is more to this. There are many anomalies that can occur with the slightest changes in the coding. Nothing is perfect.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120